HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Gopher
Love Bites
Love Bites
Gopher

Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) Empty
PostSubject: Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)   Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 9:18 pm

For my fifth installment of Gopher Review, I'm going to take a look back at the show Minkaro suggested for his nostalgic wonders, Backlash 2001.

I miss the old opening video package. Sad I don't remember HHH and Stone Cold teaming together. Then again, I didn't start watching until a few months after this. Pretty awesome graphic for Backlash. Fireworks! Oooh, we're in Chicago. CM Punk to make his debut tonight. J.R. and Paul Heyman on commentary.

The Dudleys (Bubba Ray, D-Von & Spike Dudley) vs. X-Factor (X-Pac, Albert & Justin Credible)

I also don't remember this X-Factor stable. Big brawl to start it off. Ow. Spike with a diving Double Foot Stomp to the chest of Albert. I know he's a small dude, but that looked painful. Bubba and D-Von lift Spike and toss him out of the ring onto X-Pac and Justin. Oh, hey, Teddy Long's reffing. When he gets control of the match, it's Spike and Justin starting. Spike with a bunch of unique pin attempts, but Justin grabs him by the head, drags him to his corner and tags in Albert. Albert misses a Leg Drop. Jesus, Spike goes for the Dudley Dog (I think that's what it's called) and Albert fucking tosses the shit out of him. Albert tags Justin back in. With Spike laid out by the corner of the ring, Justin goes for a Baseball Slide, but Spike moves and he slides straight into the steel post, groin-first. Simultaneous tags to D-Von and X-Pac. So many dashes. D-Von killing everyone. Until X-Pac kicks the fuck out of him, at least. Tag to Albert. Albert goes after Bubba and Bubba tries to enter the ring, but Teddy keeps him there. While Long's distracted with Bubba, X-Pac and Justin pick D-Von up outside of the ring and throws him groin-first into the steel post. Mna, those steel posts are getting all the dick tonight. Albert tags in X-Pac. God, i love X-Pac's kicks. Tag to Justin. They're really isolating D-Von from his corner. He starts making a comeback until Justin does a Black Hole Slam-like move. We Want Tables match. Albert gets tagged. Beautiful Stalling Butterfly Suplex by Albert. X-Pac is back in. And he quickly tags Justin in. Him and X-Pac try to do a Double Clothesline to Bubba but he ducks it, hits the ropes and lands a leaping Clothesline to both of them. D-Von tags in Bubba and Bubba starts killing everyone. Bubba Bomb to Justin. Ha, he lands a Sidewalk Slam to X-Pac and goes for the cover (although Justin is the legal man. Be a better ref, Teddy. <_<), but Albert runs in. He leaps into the air, but Bubba moves and he Splashes X-Pac. D-Von Clotheslines Albert out of the ring. Justin doing the Triple H/Shawn Michaels/Ric Flair turnbuckle Irish Whip sell. Diving Headbutt to the groin by D-Von, with Bubba holding Justin's legs back. Not a disqualification? Damnit, Theodore. "D-VON! GET THE TABLE!" He gets a table from under the ring but then Albert drills him with a Big Boot. All three members of X-Factor going after Bubba. Albert does a Turnbuckle Splash to him and then Justin and X-Pac land a double Superkick. X-Pac goes for the pin. X-Factor wins. Decent start to the show.

Rating: 2.5 Stars

Albert attacks Bubba after the match and Justin gets the table into the ring. Albert sets up Bubba on the top turnbuckle. I see this becoming a Powerbomb off the top turnbuckle through the table by Bubba, despite X-Factor doing all the placements. D-Von trips Albert from outside the ring and yanks him groin-first into the steel post. That's three times balls went to the steel post. Dudley Dog from Spike to Justin and then he low blows X-Pac. Well, no Powerbomb through the table, but X-Pac did get 3-D'd through it. Here comes a limo. Some girl dressed like she should be in the Hunger Games comes out of it and she's greeted by Regal. Apparently she's the Dutchess, whatever that is. Kurt! Lillian interviews him. Ha! The description mentioned Kurt being in a submission match. They didn't mention his opponent. I guessed right there it would be Benoit because of that and I was right. That should be sexy. Also, it's not a regular Submission Match, but an Ultimate Submission match. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to shine my medals." <3 Kurt.

Rhyno (c) vs. Raven - Hardcore Match for the Hardcore Championship

They didn't say what match stipulation it is, but I assume it's Hardcore, since it's for the Hardcore Championship. Also, Rhyno. <3 Raven coming out with a shopping cart full of weapons, including a trash can. There's also a stop sign and...A Frankenstein mask? What? Oh, two trash cans. Raven starts putting weapons in the ring. Rhyno immediately runs after Raven, but Raven does a Drop Toe Hold sending him face-first into the stop sign. Raven whips Rhyno into the corner and then grabs a trash can, runs at Rhyno and does a leaping trash can shot to his head. Rhyno gets the upper hand by reversing an Irish Whip into the corner and doing a running Shoulder Block. He then bashes Raven over the head with a trash can. With Raven seated by the ropes, Rhyno runs in the opposite direction. he ricochets off of the ropes as Raven lifts up a trash can, but Rhyno just kicks the trash can into his face and causes him to fly out of the ring. The battle heads to the outside. Rhyno using the steel steps. He slams Raven's head onto the steps and then sets up a steel chair. He sits Raven down on the chair and lands a bunch of punches before heading to the other side of the steps. Rhyno runs up the steps and goes for a diving move of some sort, but Raven moves out of the way and Rhyno crashes into the chair. Now Raven runs up the steps and does a diving Clothesline to Rhyno. "What's good for the goose is good for the Raven!" What, Paul? We head back into the ring. Well, that didn't last long. Raven tosses Rhyno into the barricade and starts filling the ring with even more weapons, including a kitchen sink. Like, literally, a kitchen sink. Rhyno trips Raven into the steel post and then drills him with a trash can lid. They head up the ramp and Rhyno grabs one of the "Keep Off" signs and rams it over Raven's head. A "Holy Shit" chant at that? Granted, it was a brutal shot, but I wouldn't chant holy shit at it. Another shot to the head with the sign. Back in the ring, as Rhyno hits Raven in the head with the shopping cart and tosses it into the ring. Raven Irish Whips Rhyno into the ropes and does another Drop Toe Hold, this one sending Rhyno face-first into the shopping cart. Raven with three big parking lot sign shots to the head. Turnbuckle Splash followed by a Bulldog from Raven. Ouch. Rhyno lifts the shopping cart over-head, but Raven nails him in the chest with a trash can, causing him to fall backwards and having the trash can land on his chest as well. Raven rams the shopping cart into Rhyno's gut. Rhyno comes back with a sign smack to the head. Trash can to the head twice by Rhyno. Rhyno setting up for the Gore. FUCK! Raven moves and Rhyno goes head-first into the shopping cart, going straight through the cart! Jesus. Raven repeatedly slamming the kitchen sink off of Rhyno's back as he's trapped in the shopping cart. Bah gawd, Rhyno kicks out! GORE! GORE! GORE! Out of nowhere! Rhyno gets the pin. Very fun match.

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Oooh, Shane vs. Big Show in a Last Man Standing match later? Awesome. Ha, showing a replay from SmackDown and Shane is reading Jack And The Beanstalk, but Jack is crossed out and Shane is written above it. Oh God, he's reading the book. "Now Shane had a dad that was angry and crass, because at WrestleMania, Shane kicked his dad's ass. Shane's dad was sore, he could barely walk. So he called Shane out for a father-son talk. They stood in the ring, face-to-face and toe-to-toe. When Vince called out for the giant Big Show. 'Fee-fi-foe-fum, I'm seven foot tall, but me plenty dumb.' Show picked Shane by the neck, then lifted him off the mat, Chokeslammed Shane downwith a ferocious splat. Vince grinned from ear-to-ear, upon seeing the crash. Said 'you two will compete this Sunday at Backlash.' Once the match started, the giant looked high and low. But he couldn't find Shane, which way did he go? Up to the top of the mighty beanstalk, the people were stunned, they could barely talk. The fairy-tale ends with a mighty crash landing. When it was all said and done, Shane O'Mac was the last man standing." Beautiful. I fucking love Shane. Cole interviewing Shane. Stephanie! Shane turning into Dr. Seuss right there. Stone Cold! With a girl. The Dutchess again. Coach asks her what the rules are for some match tonight. Regal interrupts before she can answer and he's all "STFU COACH! YOU AREN'T FIT TO WIPE THE DUTCHESS' ASS!" "Bugger off! BUGGER OFF!" Fucking Regal. <3 Apparently Regal is gonna face Jericho in a "Dutchess Of Queensberry Rules Match", whatever that is. Apparently Regal is the commissioner. Video package for the match. Jericho pissing in Regal's tea. Ha.

William Regal vs. Chris Jericho - Dutchess Of Queensberry Rules Match

This beautiful theme music of Regal's. Regal promo. <3 Trying for a cheap pop and gets massive heat. My nigga. Asshole chants. Here comes the Dutchess. She gets a nice seat by ringside. And here comes Jericho. Now Jericho has a mic. Awesome. Jericho insulting the Dutchess. Now that's how you get a cheap pop. Kevin James ref! Still don't know the rules of the match. Some technical wrestling between the two. The fight breaks to the outside, where Jericho beats up Regal for a bit. There's a count out happening, so apparently that's a thing in this match type. Back in the ring and Jericho misses a Dropkick. Regal beating down Jericho for a bit. Damn dat European Uppercut. A lot of waving to the crowd by Regal. Top rope Hurricanrana from Jericho. Lionsault. The bell rang before the referee could even count the pin. What? Ah, the time limit for round one has expired. Regal with a roll-up, but Jericho kicks out. Jericho goes for a Front Dropkick off the top turnbuckle, but Regal catches him by the legs and Catapults him into the ropes. Damn. Brutal German Suplex by Regal sending Jericho head-first into the canvas. More waving. Regal with the Regal Stretch. Jericho gets the bottom rope. Jericho with the Walls of Jericho out of a reversal and Regal immediately taps. Made Regal look like a bitch. Apparently submission is not a valid form of victory in this match type, which is probably why Regal immediately tapped. Mayhaps he didn't look like a bitch. Jericho exits the ring and heads toward the Dutchess. Regal comes after him, but Jericho sees him coming. Regal nails him with something though. The referee calls for the bell but apparently there's no disqualification. Regal throws Jericho in the ring and goes for a pin, but Jericho kicks out. Butterfly Suplex by Regal for a two count. Jericho makes a come back with an Enzuigiri. Exchanging of punches. Jericho sets up for the Walls of Jericho before realizing he can't win with submission so he stomps Regal in the nuts. Regal exits the ring and Jericho Baseball Slides him in the back of the head, sending him face-first into the Dutchess' crotch. Jericho attacks the Dutchess' security. He then rolls the Dutchess into the ring. Walls of Jericho to the Dutchess, but Regal attacks him with three chair shots for the win.

Rating: 2 Stars

Vinnie Mac. Big Show. They have a quick talk that ends with a demonic evil laugh from both of them. Video package for the Benoit vs. Angle match now. Chris warming up.

Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle - 30 Minute Ultimate Submission Match

Angle got a microphone. Kurt is the master of cheap heat. <3 God, I love him. I also love Benoit, though. Sad Aww, Benoit doesn't have his theme song that I like right now. Boo. Some locking up into the corners. Rolling around on the canvas, each man trying to get a submission hold on. Angle's doing a lot of take downs by the legs. Crossface after a series of reversals, but Angle gets the ropes immediately. Angle exits the ring. After a bit, Benoit invites him back in like a fucking gentleman. Another takedown, almost Spear-like, by Kurt. Again, Kurt exits the ring after a series of reversals. Chris follows him but the referee exits and gets in front of Chris. They reenter the ring. Chris applies a Waist Lock and the two of them slide out of the ring with Chris still applying the hold. Kurt reverses into his own Waist Lock and Benoit reverses into one shortly after. Kurt backs up to the ring, crushing Benoit into it, but Benoit takes him down and applies the Crossface. Kurt taps, but it doesn't count because it's on the outside. Angle gets a chair, but the referee gets in his face. He puts the chair down and reenters the ring. Angle takes Benoit down and applies a Cross Kneebreaker, to quickly make Benoit tap. I don't mind quick tap outs in matches like this, because it makes sense. The wrestlers know they can still catch up, so why risk the injury? Angle's up 1-0 so far. Some brawling between the two. Kurt's going after the leg. He lands numerous Chop Blocks to it. Chris reverses one attempt at a Chop Block into the Crossface, but he can't quite lock it in, so he instead does a Cross Armbreaker and Angle taps after a few seconds, tying things up. The fuck? The video just stopped. >_> Gotta find where I was at again, damnit. Alright, continuing on. Benoit shoves Angle shoulder-first into the ring post. He's really working the arm. He applies the Armbreaker again, but Angle gets the rope. The referee got knocked down and Angle slammed the chair over Benoit's head. Ankle Lock and Benoit taps again. Two-to-one, favor Angle. Angle applies the Crossface and Benoit taps again! OMG! Angle continues working on Benoit. Kurt takes it to the outside and slams Benoit's head off of the commentary table before tossing him back in. Kurt runs at Benoit but Benoit Back Body Drops him out of the ring. Chris exits the ring and slams Kurt into the steel post, shoulder-first. Angle reverses an Irish Whip, sending Chris back-first into the steps. Ankle Lock outside of the ring. Angle with a Cross Armbreaker, but Chris doesn't let it apply fully. Benoit gets the bottom rope. Kurt immediately follows up with an Abdominal Stretch. STAHP FREEZING, NETWORK! Chris reverses into his own Abdominal Stretch, but Angle reverses it into a Hip Toss, but Chris hangs on and applies a Cross Armbreaker again. Angle gets to the ropes. Angle goes for an Irish Whip, but Benoit trips him and applies a Sharpshooter. Angle gets to the ropes. Angle goes for a German Suplex, but Benoit rolls through and applies a Half Boston Crab, with an almost Liontamer-like knee to the back of the head and Angle taps, making it 3-2, still in Angle's favor. Kurt slides out of the ring to recover a bit. Benoit follows him and chases him around the ring. He catches up to him and Irish Whips him into the steps, before tossing him back in, but Angle rolls back out. Benoit follows, Angle slides back in, Benoit slides back in and Angle attacks Benoit with stomps. Angle beats on Benoit for a bit before tossing him out of the ring. Angle tries to stop Benoit from getting in at every opportunity. Eventually, he pulls Benoit in. Benoit runs at Angle, but Angle Drop Toe Holds him and goes for an Ankle Lock, but Benoit quickly gets to the bottom rope. Again, Angle tosses Benoit out of the ring and follows him out before Suplexing him onto the floor. Angle goes to lift Benoit back up, but Benoit fights back with Knife Edge Chops. Kurt rakes him in the eyes and Irish Whips him into the barricade. Angle slides back into the ring, leaving Benoit down until he gets up and enters the ring. Benoit takes down Angle and tries for a submission, but Angle gets the ropes before he can apply anything. Benoit goes for a Dropkick but Angle dodges. Angle with what looks like a modified STF. It turns into a regular Headlock after a bit and the referee does the arm drop thing. He only drops it two times before Chris comes back to life. After being in the hold for a while, Chris gets back to his feet and does a Jawbreaker to get free. Angle Clotheslines Benoit, does some stomping onto him, lifts him back to his feet and lands a beautiful Belly-to-Belly Suplex. And a second Belly-to-Belly. Three minutes left and the score is 3-2, Angle up. Benoit reverses an Irish Whip and lands a German Suplex, keeping it held in to do another Suplex. He tries for a third one but Angle fights out of it, only for Chris to trip him and go for a Sharpshooter, but Angle reverses into the Ankle Lock, but then Chris reverses into a modified Ankle Lock of his own. Angle taps, tying this thing up. Benoit goes after the leg of Angle with some Chop Blocks. Another German Suplex by Chris. He goes for a second one, but Angle grabs the top rope. Chris won't let go and, with the referee distracted by Angle holding the ropes, he low blows Chris. Ankle Lock by Kurt. Chris gets the ropes, but Angle pulls him back. He soon gets the ropes again. Back Suplex by Kurt and the Ankle Lock again. Chris doesn't tap until the time runs out. The match will continue, as it's tied 3-3, in sudden death. Angle immediately goes after Chris with punches and stomps. He goes after the leg of Chris. Belly-to-Belly Suplex by Chris. Chris tackles Kurt into the corner of the ring and then they roll around on the canvas, each one trying to apply a submission. Eventually, Kurt applies some sort of guillotine thing. Chris gets the ropes. Crossface out of nowhere! Kurt taps! Some great technical wrestling in that match. It was a little, not boring, but, like, it dragged on a bit. That surprised me considering Kurt faced Brock in a 60 minute match and that didn't seem to drag for a second. Still, it was a good match.

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Kane and Taker talking backstage. The camera is right next to them, yet we can't hear what they're saying for some reason. Cuts away to HHH and Stephanie watching them on a monitor. God damn, Stephanie's hot. Shane vs. Big Show video package. Jesus, Big Show fucked Test up. Poor Testicles.

Shane McMahon vs. The Big Show - Last Man Standing Match

Shane immediately gets a chair and slides it into the ring while Big Show chases him around the ring. Shane heads under the ring and Big Show looks under it for him but Shane pops out from another side of the ring, kendo stick in hand, and drills Big Show with the kendo stick. Then he beats him with it some more. Shane then hits him over the head with a book. Shane gets on the security barricade with the kendo stick and dives off, but Big Show catches him by the throat. Shane fights free with the kendo stick, though. He goes for aq kendo stick shot to the mid-section, but Big Show blocks it and pulls Shane into a Short Arm Clothesline. Big Show throws Shane into the ring and enters, but Shane hits him in the back with the steel chair he threw in earlier a few times and another three shots to the head. Shane gets a bag. He puts on a mask to cover his mouth and nose and then pours something onto a clothe or whatever and jumps on Big Show, covering his mouth with it. Big Show starts to fade. When Big Show stops moving, Shane lets go of him. Vince runs out and attacks Shane with the steel chair. Vince takes the bag and chair and exits the ring. He heads back up the ramp. Both men are down and the referee is counting. Big Show wakes up. He gets back to his feet at 7. Instead of taking the win, Big Show picks up Shane and throws him into the corner. He attacks him with knee shots and then lands a jumping Sidewalk Slam. Shane gets back up, using the ropes, before 10. Big Show with the slaps to the chest and then tosses him. He does that reverse DDT into Elbow Drop thing. Big Show picks Shane back up at eight instead of beating him. Chokeslam to Shane. Again Big Show lifts Shane back up at eight. Big Show applies a Torture Rack, but Test hits the ring and drills him with a Big Boot. Test. <3 He gets on top of Big Show and starts beating him with punches. Test goes to check on Shane, but Big Show grabs him and tosses him out of the ring. He exits to go after Test. Big Show tosses test into the crowd, but then pulls him back into the ring-side area and tosses him into the steps. Big Show takes Test up the entrance ramp, but Test grabs a Keep Off sign and attacks Big Show with it, bashing it over his head numerous times. Big Show fights back though. Shane is now walking up the ramp. He grabs another Keep Off sign. He attacks Big Show with it, but Big Show gets a pretty big pipe and goes after Shane. Awww shit, Shane's climbing something. Big Show's following, though. OMG! And Test is following Big Show. test pulled Big Show down and attacks him with punches. A lot of sign shots to the head of Big Show by Test. They walk onto some thing. Jesus H. Fuck. Test lays out Big Show and Shane jumps from all the way on top of the steel set up for the entrance ramp, onto Big Show. That was a huge drop. They broke through the thing Big Show was on, which was apparently made of wood. The referee begins a ten count and Shane gets a crane that has a camera on it and hangs Shane on it so he can technically be standing. Big Show doesn't get up for ten. Shane wins. Not an amazing match, but the ending was great.

Rating: 2 Stars

"I don't care what he's the owner of. Right now, he's the owner of The Big Show's ass." Fucking Paul Heyman. Triple H, Stephanie and Vince backstage. Vince be mad. "As of this day, I only have one son...And his name is Triple H." Cold, Vince. Very cold. Steve Blackman. <3 J.R. asks him about what Shane did and he seems impressed. Grand Master Sexay interrupts and acts like he needs Ritalin.

Matt Hardy (c) vs. Christian vs. Eddie Guerrero - European Championship

Christian and Eddie go after Matt but Matt's all "YOU FUKIN WAT, M8?!" and beats them both up until Eddie can attack him from behind. Eddie and Christian throw Matt out and then Christian attacks Eddie from behind. Christian beats up Eddie for a bit. Eddie reverses a toss up into a beautiful Hurricanrana. Eddie sets up for a Superplex, but Matt reenters the ring and attacks him, throwing him out of the way. He then goes for the Superplex to Christian, but Eddie attacks Matt from behind and puts him in an Electric Chair. Christian goes flying towards Matt, but Matt suddenly rolls forward into a pin, as Christian crashes on the canvas. Eddie kicks out. Matt pushes Eddie into Christian and goes for the Twist of Fate on Eddie, but Christian Clotheslines him. Back Suplex from Eddie to Christian. Eddie sets up for some submission onto Christian, but Matt does a Sunset Flip to Eddie, into the ropes. Matt tosses Eddie out of the ring. Matt dominates Christian for a bit. Eddie pulls Matt out of the ring and tries to punch him but Matt reverses into his own punches. Christian Baseball Slides into both men. Matt reverses an Irish Whip, sending Christian into the side of the ring. He then runs at him, but Christian throws him up and I'm not quite sure what to even call this. Matt does like a hand-stand on the apron, bounces off of the ropes similar to how Tajiri does when he does his Springboard Elbow and then he falls into a DDT to the outside. Beautiful. Eddie Suplexes Eddie back into the ring. Eddie goes for a top rope Hurricanrana to Matt but Matt hangs onto the top rope and Eddie goes falling without him. Christian then goes for a Superplex, but Matt reverses it into a Gourdbuster, sending Christian right on top of Eddie. Diving Clothesline to both men. Christian goes for a running Cross Body to Matt but Matt ducks and he hits Eddie. Middle rope Leg Drop from Matt to Eddie for a close two count. Christian pulls Matt out of the ring and then slides in. Edge, from out of nowhere, with a long ass run into a Spear to Matt. He slides Matt into the ring and Christian is about to pin him, but Eddie pushes Christian out of the ring and goes for the pin. Kickout at two. That kickout legit surprised me. Here comes Jeff to fight off Edge. Christian with the Unprettier to Eddie but Jeff does a Swanton Bomb. It completely fucking over-shot and missed both guys, but they sold it regardless. Matt with a Twist of Fate to Christian for the win. Fun match.

Rating: 3 Stars

Video package for the main event.

Triple H & Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Brothers Of Destruction (The Undertaker & Kane) - WWF, Intercontinental & Tag Team Championships

I'm not exactly sure how this works. If HHH and SCSA win, they become Tag Champs in addition to WWF and IC Champs (Stone Cold is WWF and HHH is IC), but if the Brothers win, who gets which title? Apparently, if Stone Cold gets pinned, he loses the WWF title to whoever pinned him. If HHH gets pinned, he loses his title to whoever pinned him. Alright. The Undertaker and Kane stand in the ring and attack Stone Cold or HHH any chance they get when they try to enter the ring. SCSA and HHH begin to leave but the Brothers go after them. Kane goes after Triple H and Taker goes after Stone Cold. Taker throws Stone Cold in the ring as Kane and HHH continue to brawl outside of it. Shortly after, Taker and Stone Cold exit the ring and HHH and Kane enter it. Double Hand Chokeslam by Kane. Then Stone Cold enters and Kane does it to him too. Taker is finally in his corner as Stone Cold gets in his corner. Kane dominates HHH for a bit. HHH turns it around with a Knee Lift to the head. HHH working on Kane's arm, which I probably should've mentioned before is injured. Kane makes the tag as does HHH. Taker dominates for a bit, then Stone Cold does, then Taker does. Taker Irish Whipping Stone Cold into the turnbuckle...Four times. Stone Cold extends his hand out for Taker to shake and Taker kicks him in the head for it. Taker tags in Kane. Stone Cold goes after Kane's arm, causing Kane to tag out pretty quickly. Stone Cold tags in Triple H. Taker trying for Old School and he lands it. Austin enters the ring illegally and takes an Old School as well. HHH and Stone Cold trying to leave again. Kane goes after them. He throws Stone Cold back into the ring. Taker looks for the Last Ride, but HHH Clotheslines him. Some double teaming by HHH and SCSA. They dominate for a bit with tags and keeping Taker isolated. Taker starts to make a comeback but HHH nails him with the knee to the face again. HHH Irish Whips Taker and Taker lands a running DDT. HHH makes a tag but Taker doesn't tag in Kane because he's concerned about his elbow. Stone Cold lands a Thesz Press and then does his running elbow drop two times, before going for it a third time but Taker catches him by the throat. Triple H comes in but Taker Big Boots him and grabs SCSA by the throat again. He sees HHH get up and grabs his throat too, but they both kick Taker and Irish Whip him. Taker Clotheslines both men. Kane blind tags himself in. Kane takes it to Austin and HHH. Kane goes to the top turnbuckle and lands a diving Clothesline. He goes to Chokeslam SCSA, but HHH nails him in the injured arm. Kane tries to fight back but keeps getting his arm hurt. SCSA tags in HHH. HHH throws Kane out of the ring and, while the referee is distracted, Stone Cold nails Kane in the arm with a steel chair. HHH dominates Kane for a bit before tagging in Stone Cold. Taker was apparently busted open at some point and I missed it. Not a lot of blood, just a small cut on his forehead. Kane keeps trying to make a comeback but getting reversed. SCSA tags HHH in. HHH tags Austin in. Kane almost makes the tag but HHH pulls Taker off of the apron. Plenty of tagging and isolating. Triple H climbing the turnbuckle and he goes for...Well, I don't know exactly. It's like he got on the turnbuckle, jumped off and just landed on the canvas, and then Kane kicked him in the face from the ground. Pedigree to Kane! But instead of going for the pin, HHH tags in Austin...Who goes for the pin. Taker makes the save, though. Chokeslam from Taker to Stone Cold. Stephanie starts distracting Earl Hebner and Earl's like "Damnit woman, get back in the kitchen!" and he pushes her off of the apron. Kane with the pin for a close two count. SCSA tags in HHH. Kane with an Enzuigiri, knocking HHH into Earl. Kane tags in Taker. Taker runs in and beats on both opponents. After beating them up for a bit, he throws Stone Cold out, Last Rides HHH for the pin but the ref is all "U NO GOT TAG, U GET ON APRON!" Taker goes after the ref, but Stone Cold hits him from behind, knocking him into Earl, whom gets taken out of the ring. Low blow to Taker. Stunner to Kane. Taker throws Stone Cold out of the ring. Stephanie hands HHH the WWF Championship. He tries to hit Kane with it, but Kane lifts his boot up. Taker and Stone Cold are fighting in the audience. Kane Big Boots Stephanie when she enters the ring. Vince runs into the ring with a sledge hammer, but Kane grabs him by the throat. HHH takes the sledge hammer from Vince and drills Kane with it. Twice. HHH goes for the pin and Vince outs the referee in the ring for the count. Not as good as I expected for the main event of a PPV, but still a good match.

Rating: 3 Stars

A pretty good show. Not amazing, but good. I'd rate the entire thing 3 stars. If you've got a suggestion for the next PPV I should review, leave a comment below.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsmVNcqWmf-E73tdf3cUCVg
Gopher
Love Bites
Love Bites
Gopher

PostSubject: Re: Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)   Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Nobody gonna read this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)   Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:20 pm

2001 was a super mix bag of awesome and shit.

WrestleWars 91
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)   Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Storylines started getting odd after this and the WCW/ECW "invaded" and it all went to hell Funny

But I've watched this show a zillion times and always enjoyed it. Shane's insane dive, replicating SummerSlam the year before, is always a sweet watch.

Speaking of which, review SummerSlam 2000. Invasion 2001 would also be an interesting read too.
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity
Minkaro

PostSubject: Re: Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)   Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Haven't seen this one for a while, but I remember Rhyno/Raven being a really enjoyable match.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/MinkaroXIV
Gopher
Love Bites
Love Bites
Gopher

PostSubject: Re: Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)   Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Yeah, either that or the Submission match was match of the night for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)   Gopher Review: Backlash (2001) Empty

Back to top Go down

Gopher Review: Backlash (2001)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1