HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nasal strip could derail Chrome's Triple bid

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Nasal strip could derail Chrome's Triple bid Empty
PostSubject: Nasal strip could derail Chrome's Triple bid   Nasal strip could derail Chrome's Triple bid EmptySun May 18, 2014 5:42 pm

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/triplecrown2014/story/_/id/10949680/nasal-strip-threaten-california-chrome-triple-crown-bid

BALTIMORE -- California Chrome might abandon his Triple Crown bid in the Belmont Stakes if New York officials do not allow the colt to wear a nasal strip.

Trainer Art Sherman suggested it was a possibility, although he made no threats about California Chrome passing on a chance to become horse racing's 12th Triple Crown winner.

"I'd have to leave it up to the owners," he said Sunday. "I know they'll be upset."

Neither the New York State Gaming Commission nor the New York Racing Association stewards has received a request to use nasal strips in the Belmont Stakes on June 7.

"If a request to use nasal strips is made, the decision on whether to permit them or not will be fully evaluated and determined by the stewards,'' Gaming Commission spokesman Lee Park said Sunday.

Alan Sherman, Art's son who is the assistant trainer for California Chrome, told ESPN's Jeannine Edwards that he will make the formal request for the horse to wear a nasal strip on Tuesday when he and the horse arrive at Belmont.

Among the Gaming Commission's rules governing Belmont Park is one that states: Only equipment specifically approved by the stewards shall be worn or carried by a jockey or a horse in a race.

California Chrome, the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner, has worn a nasal strip during his current six-race winning streak after co-owner Perry Martin wanted to try it. Sherman is based in California and said he wasn't aware that using one in New York might be a problem. He said he would talk to New York racing officials and the horse's owners.
Back to top Go down

Nasal strip could derail Chrome's Triple bid

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1