HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Devaluation of winning the world championship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Caleb
HOFer
HOFer
Caleb

Devaluation of winning the world championship Empty
PostSubject: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:00 pm

I was just thinking about how much winning the world championship has been devalued. I'm not sure if it's because more and more superstars are getting the title for a few weeks just to have another reign or what, but winning the world championship doesn't seem "special" anymore. Take a look at Jeff Hardy and The Miz a few years ago when they won the WWE Championship for the first time. You could see after their matches how much they wanted it and how much it meant to them. Now days, you don't see that anymore.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:12 pm

Exactly. That's the thing, they started giving the title to everyone and it became worthless. What I tried to tell people before. I aint bothered

You can't have anyone win it, the title alone doesn't put you over. Swagger, Del Rio and Ziggler, all former world champs, now they're pretty irrelevant.

Favorite Current Wrestlers:
1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
Your dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:13 am

Wasn't this one of the reasons they combined the titles? I'm not sure you can really count the previous title reigns (especially in regards to the WHC) anymore. Since TLC, the focus of the world title scene has only been on big stars. My own personal short-givings aside, Orton, Batista, Cena, Triple H and Bryan are all people who belong in the title picture. Even the periphery contenders like Brock Lesnar are huge names.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 am

It doesnt matter who holds it, its how the belt is booked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 am

#OriolesMagic wrote:
It doesnt matter who holds it, its how the belt is booked.

Who holds it is how it's booked?
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 am

Yeah, let's have Hornswoggle hold it and then make CM Punk, John Cena, Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan, Batista, and Triple H job to him. That should give the title prestige. Who cares who holds it as long as he's booked right? I aint bothered

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 3:32 am

Who holds the title is important, and so is how it's booked (i.e., how important it seems in feuds and how much TV time is dedicated to it). Both are aspects that matter. You want a guy who can draw holding the belt, and you want him in compelling storylines that draw people in. I don't think this is news to anyone, but it's definitely important to cover all your bases when it comes to the world title.

WWE usually tries to do this, especially with the WWE Championship (back before TLC). The WHC was more of a mid-card title the past few years, and was booked as such, but the WWE title was usually treated the way a world title should be.
Back to top Go down
MorphyVA
Motherfucking SETONIAN!
Motherfucking SETONIAN!
MorphyVA

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 6:00 am

Alberto Del Rio actually had a good run the first time he won the World Heavyweight title against Big Show (I said first World title win. Not WWE title win). I believe the only reason that reign was good was because of how he was booked as a face.

Dolph Ziggler could've had a good run as a world champ. He was champion material to the fans and lots of people were behind him. But due to how WWE booked him and made him lose to Del Rio immediately the next PPV, all of that potential for a good title reign was wasted.

Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 am

The problem is they don't build a superstar up like they used to any more. Creative get trigger happy and just slap the thing on someone with a few weeks build, wonder why it didn't work and then just shove them back in the mid card.

There is a reason why superstars were made through their first title reigns, like Rock, Austin and HBK because creative spent forever planning it beforehand and the fans taken to it because of the build. Who the fuck remembers that Swagger was a World Champion?

Plus having two World Titles in the WWE for like ten years and having one of them being on the level of a secondary titles, didn't help matters. If WWE didn't introduce that all those years back, a bunch of people would have NEVER won the World Title (at least not yet) and that would have been a good thing imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Razor wrote:
Yeah, let's have Hornswoggle hold it and then make CM Punk, John Cena, Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan, Batista, and Triple H job to him. That should give the title prestige. Who cares who holds it as long as he's booked right? I aint bothered

Yes. Because the only thing that matters is how many people actually hold the title, not what kind of storylines the champion goes through. People love to be one dimensional in their arguments.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:58 pm

You just got pwned by three separate posts. Don't try to reply to mine out of context, pussy. Funny

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 1:15 pm

lol Just noticed Dead's post.

Lets stick it on a Michael Cole and book him in an epic rivalry with The Undertaker I aint bothered
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 pm

Yeah That it's all about the writing, not how shit the champion is. I aint bothered

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devaluation of winning the world championship   Devaluation of winning the world championship Empty

Back to top Go down

Devaluation of winning the world championship

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1