HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' Empty
PostSubject: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 5:25 am

A lack of consumer interest and threatening competition from Sony and Microsoft will prevent Nintendo from meeting its profit forecasts, analysts told Bloomberg.

Nintendo's overall sales have been lower than expected since the Wii U console's launch last year. While Nintendo cites Wii U  "research and development" costs and 3DS "advertising and promotion" costs as the reasons for the low profits, the company still remains hopeful that it will meet forecasts.

“The launch of other video game systems is also good for us because they energize the video game industry as a whole,” Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told analysts. “This year, what Nintendo is promoting is, conversely, to stand out in the game industry for individuality.”

But analysts disagree, saying that the Wii U has become a niche platform, as opposed to the widespread "family" appeal of its predecessor, the Wii.

“Wii U has become a game console only for Nintendo fans,” Eiji Maeda, an analyst at SMBC Nikko Securities Inc. in Tokyo, said in the aforementioned report. “Wii U needs groundbreaking software to draw casual and hardcore gamers.”

President Iwata said Nintendo is aiming to sell 9 million Wii U consoles over the company's fiscal year, which ends in April 2014. Analysts say this is an optimistic forecast, as only 460,000 Wii Us have been sold during the first half of the fiscal year, merely 5 percent of the 9 million expected.

“They steadfastly refuse to consider that the product is not interesting to consumers,” Michael Pachter, a Los Angeles-based analyst, said. “They will fail to hit 9 million, and they will likely miss their profit goals.”

Last edited by #CluelessOwner [AMC] on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 am

IDK how Steam got mixed into this Funny

A major problem is that it's only a $100 under a PS4 but it's not nearly as capable. Plus the touch screen controller isn't nearly as cool as the Wii Mote was.

Another problem is that stupid name. All my friends and family have the idea that The Wii U is some short of expansion devise for The Wii. Everyone is surprised when I show them that it's a stand alone console.

Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 am

Woops, my bad. Must have copied from the wrong tab half way through. Funny Fixed it.

I've never played the Wii U (despite it looking really fun) but I get the sense Nintendo is now trying too hard to be different. The Wii did really well for them and made people who don't play games actually sit down and do so...or stand up and dance around like an idiot, as the case may be xD

The Wii U is just lacking so much. It was dubbed to be better than the PS3 and 360 power wise...that's great, but now it's way behind the PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo is also seen as a console you buy after getting either of the other two, so why would anyone play the major titles like Call of Duty or FIFA on the thing? Plus they never EVER freshen their IPs up at all. Mario is now the same old stuff released a million times.

They need to catch up somehow and I have no idea how...

And I agree with the name thing. They should have just called it the Wii 2. I get the meaning behind "Wii U", but if it confuses people, it doesn't work Shaking Head
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 6:04 am

I totally agree that they need to come out with different games. As much as I love Mario and Zelda titles we need something new. Nintendo tried to make an argument that Nintendo Dogs was a new series face palm They did say they are working on new titles for The Wii U.

Third Party games like ZombiU and Lego City Undercover are great original titles for the system. Plus Nintendo did dish out some cash so that Bayonetta 2 will be a Wii U exclusive.

Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 6:10 am

Nintendo Dogs ROFL!

I remember seeing that in the shop when it just came out on the DS. I fiddled with it in the shop and it was the most boring shit ever...walked two yards and bought Metal Gear Solid 3 xD

But when they say "new" do they actually mean IPs and not just Mario Tennis or something?

I personally think Nintendo shouldn't make another console and just release their stuff on the other two consoles. They surely would make shit loads more money doing that Neutral
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 am

Yeah they did say they are going to work on original titles. The only one I seen from Nintendo is Wonder101, and from what I hear that one is okay.

And it does sound like Nintendo may have to give up on consoles. The only thing making them money is The 3DS. I would be sad since Nintendo did honestly seem like they were trying to be innovative with their hardware.

TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 11:12 am

You guys realize that they're going to get that 9 million overnight as soon as Smash Bros. comes out, right?
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 pm

They projected high sales for Super Mario 3D World too...not many bought that either. They are resting all their chips on tired franchises.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 pm

I was gonna say the same thing TJ Funny
Nintendo's BIGGEST selling point is Smash Bros. When that comes out, everyone will buy it.

Favorite Current Wrestlers:
1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
Your dad
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 pm

How is Smash Bros. the biggest selling point when it's not the best selling title on any console? What are you basing this one? The fact you love it so much? It's not the best fighting game. If Nintendo consoles got the new Street Fighter game I bet they would outsell Smash Bros.

TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Well it helps that I'm at college and literally EVERYONE plays Smash Bros. Funny
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 5:19 am

No doubt it will make a difference, because it is a popular game, but it certainly isn't going to shift millions of consoles for Nintendo.
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 5:23 am

I think The Wii U will end up just having an early death like The Saturn. I'd gamble Nintendo isn't ready yet to drop out of the console war.

TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 7:35 am

Y'know, I've been trying to come up with a response to that for like ten minutes....and just... Sad ...I NO WANT TENDO TUH DIE MOMMY Sad
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 7:46 am

They are number one when it comes to portable gaming Funny The 3DS is the only thing that's really keeping Nintendo afloat.

Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 am

If their next console is actually on par with what Sony and Microsoft do, it will be a different ball game altogether really.
Back to top Go down
TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 1:25 pm

But it won't. Their philosophy is game quality over console specs. Funny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

I believe the correct term is: Nintendogs

Or at least, that was on the cover of my sister's game back when the DS first came out nearly 10 (0.o) years ago Funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'   Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals' Empty

Back to top Go down

Analysts: Nintendo Will 'Likely Miss Profit Goals'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1