HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Saintpat
Main Eventer
Saintpat

Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? Empty
PostSubject: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:54 pm

No, I don't mean is he the best there is/was/will ever be.

No, I don't mean is he a master technician (although I believe Cena to be underrrated in-ring in that he seems to be able to put on superior matches with just about anyone regardless of their style).

No, I don't mean Cena is a huge self-mark (no one will ever match Bret in this regard).

I am referring to one of the most brilliant (and overlooked) character turns in wrestling history, when WWF was able to make Hart a heel in the U.S. and, at the same time, a babyface to fans everywhere else in the world.

Today's market is much more sophisticated -- the internet makes such national boundaries mean less, fans know more, the heel/face dynamic is more blurred with more reality-based and less cartoonish characters. The Hart heel/face thing as done then would not work today in the way it did then.

But I believe it is working, specifically with Cena, in a different way. He is today's ulltimate modern tweener -- in that the marks/kids/casuals love him and the IWC/smarks/cynics cannot stand him.

And WWE, without being too blatant about it, has been playing to it.

They have acknowledged him as being "controversial," he has done promos making it known that he is aware not only of his fans but of his detractors as well -- the celebrating at the end of a PPV win in the arms of front-row fans with anti-Cena shirts was a great moment -- and at times (especially during his feud wtih Rocky) where they even seemed to encourage the mixed reaction.

I am not saying WWE created this, had a plan to make the Cena character a tweener who is beloved by some and hated by others (particularly internet fans), but I do thinnk they have recognized it and gone with it.

And I think this is why we won't see the long-awaited (by some) Cena heel turn -- because it would never work with the division that already exists. In truth, it wouldn't change anything, just swap the factions: the IWC would embrace him as a heel (until internet fans decided they didn't like how it was booked or how an angle played out) while the marks/kids would hate him. In short he would still get a mixed cheer/boo reaction, just as he does now.

I do, however, thhink WWE and Cena deserve credit for developing a character who nurtures such a mixed reaction. There are layers there, even thoughh WWE can't acknowledge that itt is, to some degree, being done onn purpose.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Great point. I feel Cena is excellent, personally. But yeah I can see what you mean by this, good write. good job

Favorite Current Wrestlers:
1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
Your dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:06 pm

I was thinking about this too. I think he's at the level that Hart was at in the mid 90's. The star after the boom period. I look at Punk as the current day's Shawn Michaels.
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:23 pm

I don't think that's WWE's intent. They would rather you cheer Cena, just listen to Lawler when he says fans are behind Cena when that's not the case. There a points when Cole will call Jerry on his BS saying that the crowd is actually split.

WWE also stopped running shows at The Hammerstein Ballroom after the crowds hostile response to WWE guys.

Cena's more comparable to Hogan really. I know it's too easy but it is what it is. Cena's WWE's number one guy just like Hogan used to be.

Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

^ Everyone cheered Hogan. People today still boo Cena (even though he's excellent..)

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:32 pm

So? It's not that WWE wants it to be that way. It's just the men don't want to get behind Cena.

And Cena does strike gold every now and again but a majority of the time he's not convincing me to buy a pay per view. It's not all his fault but not everything he does is excellent. Not even Flair was able to carry everyone during his runs as NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Well think about it, the past few PPVs, Cena has performed greatly. Cena takes a break, and everyone says Battleground sucks. Face it, he's the face of the show. Funny

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm not denying he's the face of the show. I mean come on, I compared him to Hogan!

A majority of what Cena did the first half of this year was nothing to get excited about.

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 pm

I didn't grow up watching Bret, but I did grow up watching Cena. I think he's one of those guys who just doesn't shine on his own. I'm not saying he isn't good though, don't get me wrong. But, I think having Cena in programs with other excellent people pushes him to try new things, be more exciting. It sounds a bit douche-y of him to hold back some stuff, but he's WWE's top guy. He can't go busting out hurricanranas or that top rope fameasser, he needs to protect himself.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 am

Is he going to get screwed over at Survivor Series? shifty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:33 am

^ but then that means he will go to TNA

also if Cena was at battleground, doubt that it would have made it better
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Razor wrote:
Well think about it, the past few PPVs, Cena has performed greatly. Cena takes a break, and everyone says Battleground sucks. Face it, he's the face of the show. Funny
Battleground sucked, with or without John Cena. I would say Cena is far from excellent when it comes to his inring work but then all the Cena koolaid drinkers would get mad at me and insult me or try to insult Ring of Honor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

^We insult you because you have awful reasons for disliking Cena, NOT for disliking Cena. You also refuse to listen to reason, and instead respond by something with this stupid trollface smiley. You're also an asshole.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 5:35 am

Fuck RoH I aint bothered
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 am

^ & ^^

What they said.

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 pm

damn late to the party, oh well...YES!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?   Is John Cena the new Bret Hart? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is John Cena the new Bret Hart?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1