HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go ills go
Icon
Go ills go

Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes Empty
PostSubject: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes   Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 2:55 pm

The Toronto Blue Jays have acquired shortstop Troy Tulowitzki in a trade with the Colorado Rockies for shortstop Jose Reyes and three pitching prospects, the team announced Tuesday.

In addition to Tulowitzki, the Rockies sent 42-year-old reliever LaTroy Hawkins to the Blue Jays.

Along with Reyes, the Rockies picked up right-handers Miguel Castro, Jesus Tinoco and Jeff Hoffman.

Tulowitzki, 30, is owed $113.7 million through 2020, according to MLB.com, and receives a $2 million bonus for being traded.

A source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark there is "zero chance" the Blue Jays will turn around and flip Tulowitzki to another team.

According to Fox Sports, Tulowitzki's contract also converts to include a full no-trade clause going forward.

Tulowitzki was at the center of trade talks in May but said at the time that he was not looking to leave the Rockies.

"Whatever happens on the Rockies' end happens, but for me to sit here and try to force my way out of here, that's not the case," Tulowitzki told reporters in May, according to MLB.com. "I don't think it's fair to my teammates and the relationships I've built here to take that route."

Tulowitzki had spent his entire nine-year career in Colorado after being drafted seventh overall in 2005.

Tulowitzki is batting .300/.348/.471 (average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage) with 12 home runs and 53 RBIs over 87 games in 2015. He is a career .299 hitter.

Hawkins saved just two games this season before losing his job as the Rockies' closer. But in his past 14 appearances, he has posted a 0.68 ERA in 13⅓ innings. In that span, he has struck out 11, walked one and yielded seven hits.

Toronto will be the 11th team Hawkins has played for in his career, three more than any other active player. He previously said he would retire after this season.

"I'm excited to be going to an organization that has a chance to win, and they're showing the commitment to winning this year and for years to come," Hawkins told MLB.com. "I've got three good months left in me. Hopefully, I can help the Blue Jays get to the World Series and win the World Series. That's a wonderful way to end my career. I can't see a more fitting way to end it.

"Everything feels good. I'm excited to go to a place where there's humidity. I didn't let the altitude in Colorado bother me, but I'm happy to be back at sea level. I've seen a lot in my career, and I'm going to take full advantage of this opportunity and see where it ends up."

The Rockies are in last place in the NL West at 42-55.

The Blue Jays, meanwhile, are hoping to make a late-season run at the New York Yankees in the American League East. Toronto currently trails New York by seven games. The Blue Jays have the longest active playoff drought in baseball, with their last appearance in 1993, when they won the World Series.

Reyes heads to Colorado after a 2½-year stint in Toronto, during which the Blue Jays failed to make the postseason despite lofty expectations.

He was sidelined early this season with a fractured left rib suffered on a check swing in the fourth game of Toronto's 2015 campaign.

The four-time All-Star and 2011 NL batting champion is batting .285 this year with four home runs, 34 RBIs and 16 stolen bases in 69 games.

Reyes is the New York Mets' all-time leader in triples and stolen bases; he spent the first nine seasons of his career in New York before signing with the Marlins in 2012 as a free agent.

Go ills go
Icon
Go ills go

PostSubject: Re: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes   Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Interesting trade as they are 2 of my favorite SS's in the league. Also I have Tulo in my fantasy baseball league so idk how this will go for me. I aint bothered

PostSubject: Re: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes   Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

They traded one injury prone SS for another. The logic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes   Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes Empty

Back to top Go down

Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1