HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ched Evans issues apology as Oldham deal collapses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Ched Evans issues apology as Oldham deal collapses Empty
PostSubject: Ched Evans issues apology as Oldham deal collapses   Ched Evans issues apology as Oldham deal collapses EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Ched Evans has apologised "for the effects that night has had" on the woman he was convicted of raping, in a statement issued following the collapse of his move to Oldham.

Evans was released from prison last October, halfway through a five-year sentence for raping a 19-year-old woman. He has always maintained his innocence and until today he had never issued an apology of any sort.

He is currently awaiting the results of his appeal to the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

This afternoon, Oldham confirmed that a deal to sign Evans was not going ahead, following "enormous pressure and threats to staff and their families."

This came just a day after Oldham's joint owner Simon Corney said there was an "80%" chance of the convicted rapist being signed. That news had prompted an outcry from supporters and sponsors.

Oldham had held extensive talks with the PFA over the proposed signing of Evans and there had been reports that he and the club had agreed personal terms, with a two-and-a-half-year deal being suggested for the Wales international striker.

In his statement this afternoon, issued via the PFA, Evans said he wanted to "wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

"Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question. This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.

"It has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so.”
Back to top Go down

Ched Evans issues apology as Oldham deal collapses

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1