HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Angels Clinch AL West Division Title

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Angels Clinch AL West Division Title Empty
PostSubject: Angels Clinch AL West Division Title   Angels Clinch AL West Division Title EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 10:09 am

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_09_17_seamlb_anamlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=ana

ANAHEIM -- The Angels experienced their symbolic return to the top from the bowels of their home ballpark, glued to the clubhouse televisions while their fans cheered the Rangers from the stands, refusing to leave Angel Stadium until the final out in Oakland was recorded and the American League West title was there's again.

Almost an hour after the Angels had secured the 95th victory of their breakthrough season, 5-0 over the Mariners, it happened. The A's crumbled in the ninth, the Angels clinched their first division title in five years and jubilation swept the ballpark, fireworks exploding from the rock pile and players prancing onto the field, champagne bottles in hand.

Jered Weaver, the longtime ace and franchise fixture, was one of the first players out.

"Indescribable, really," Weaver said after the franchise's first division title since 2009. "This is the only reason why they're here; they want to see us win. It's been long overdue. Hopefully we can make a good push here in the postseason."

Backed by C.J. Wilson, who twirled seven innings that were every bit as dominant as they were encouraging, the Angels pulled through against the playoff-striving Mariners, then watched the Rangers rally from a one-run deficit with a six-run ninth inning at O.co Coliseum.

Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said he "became the biggest J.P. Arencibia fan in the history of the world."

The Rangers catcher's homer had involuntarily lifted the Angels to their ninth division title overall and their sixth since 2004, four years after Mike Scioscia took over as manager. They were the first team to clinch a postseason berth on Monday -- the 10th in their history, counting the 2002 team that won the World Series after getting in as the AL Wild Card -- and they hold a three-game lead on the Orioles for the best record in baseball, with 10 to play.

If they win half of those, they'll be the first team to win 100 games since 2012, tying their franchise-best mark set in 2008.

"It feels really, really good," owner Arte Moreno said. "This started last October, and then getting ready for Spring Training, and here we are. But we still have another season left."

After Wilson's one-hit shutout effort, the offense's five-run seventh and the bullpen's back-to-back 1-2-3 innings, Angels president John Carpino went to pick his son up from the Katy Perry concert at the neighboring Honda Center.

When he walked outside, he noticed hundreds of Angels fans waiting to come back in so they could watch history unfold on the video board.

"So I opened the gates," Carpino said. "It was the easiest decision I've ever had, really."

Down below, once the A's had lost, Scioscia had the floor first.

"You guys worked hard. You guys fought hard. Enjoy it," he told them. "Go ahead, do what you guys want tonight. Don't get in trouble, though. We're not done yet."
Back to top Go down
Go ills go
Icon
Go ills go

PostSubject: Re: Angels Clinch AL West Division Title   Angels Clinch AL West Division Title EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 am

My prediction before the season: LA Angels vs. LA Dodgers. I'm seriously liking the chances of an all-LA World Series now. Freeway Series YO

PostSubject: Re: Angels Clinch AL West Division Title   Angels Clinch AL West Division Title EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 12:27 pm

I like how people are only picking the Angels or Dodgers and overlooking the other teams that can beat them. The teams that need to spend 100 million dollars arent the only teams to be worried about. If that were the case then the Yankees and Boston would be involved every year.
Back to top Go down
Go ills go
Icon
Go ills go

PostSubject: Re: Angels Clinch AL West Division Title   Angels Clinch AL West Division Title EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Spending a lot of money gives you a good shot at having the best team, though. It's not always true but for those 2 teams this year I think that's the case.

The Angels' rotation, or pitching as a whole, might not be trustworthy enough for them to get there but I like the Dodgers' team all-around. Also, for me personally, I picked the Angels to get there before the season started so it's not like I'm jumping on the bandwagon or something with that pick. That team is stacked and it wouldn't make sense to change my mind on them now when they've done so well this season. As for the Dodgers, I think you have to call them the favorites. Especially considering if Gonzalez/Hanley/Kemp/Puig/Crawford can play like they have recently, it'll be tough to beat them.

TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: Angels Clinch AL West Division Title   Angels Clinch AL West Division Title EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Well the Cardinals sure ain't winning it all, and I'm pretty sure most people hate Washington, so the Dodgers seem to be the obvious choice.

As much as I'd like it, it'd be a miracle if the Pirates got any further than they did last year. Funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angels Clinch AL West Division Title   Angels Clinch AL West Division Title Empty

Back to top Go down

Angels Clinch AL West Division Title

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1