HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bobby Womack has died

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Bobby Womack has died Empty
PostSubject: Bobby Womack has died   Bobby Womack has died EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Legendary soul singer Bobby Womack has died.

The 70-year-old star, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009 and enjoyed a career spanning seven decades, passed away in his sleep on Friday (27.06.14).
A spokesperson for the 'Across 110th Street' hitmaker's record label XL Recordings told RollingStone.com that his cause of death is currently unknown.

The late singer, who was in the process of recording a new album tentatively titled 'The Best Is Yet to Come,' with rumoured contributions by Stevie Wonder, Rod Stewart and Snoop Dogg, began his career as a member of Curtis Womack and the Womack Brothers with his brothers Curtis, Harry, Cecil and Friendly, Jr., but they changed their name to the Valentinos shortly after they scored their first record deal in 1960.

The Rolling Stones' cover of their track 'It's All Over Now' topped the UK charts in 1964, just one month after the original version was released.
The group disbanded later that year after Cooke's death and Bobby became a session musician.

He released his debut album, 'Fly Me to the Moon,' in 1968 after playing guitar on a string of well-known albums, including Aretha Franklin's 'Lady Soul,' and went on to release several more successful solo records, including 'Facts of Life.'

The 'If You Think You're Lonely Now' hitmaker sought treatment in rehab in the 1980s for drug addiction, and later battled a series of health problems, including colon cancer, diabetes, pneumonia and showed early signs of Alzheimer's disease.

His 2012 release 'The Bravest Man in the Universe' was voted one of the 50 Best Albums of the year and he admitted he thought his songs were getting better with age.
He said at the time: ''You know more at 65 than you did at 25. I understand the songs much better now. It's not about 14 Rolls Royces and two Bentleys. Even if this album never sells a nickel, I know I put my best foot forward.''
Back to top Go down

Bobby Womack has died

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1