HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2014 FIFA World Cup cliches thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Saintpat
Main Eventer
Saintpat

2014 FIFA World Cup cliches thread Empty
PostSubject: 2014 FIFA World Cup cliches thread   2014 FIFA World Cup cliches thread EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm

The thread title is a good place to start.

I've watched most of the matches on TV (daytime matches this week only in parts and at work so the sound is too low to hear commentary) and even caught some of them on radio, and it seems like every single time the event is referenced it is:

The 2014 FIFA World Cup: Do they think we don't know what year it is, or do they think it might be reruns from 2002 or something? Why does FIFA have to be mentioned every time the event is referenced? They don't say The NFL Super Bowl. Are they worried we are going to mistake FIFA for some off-brand futbol/soccer governing body? Even when they call the NBA Finals that, they don't remind you what year it is.

Some others:

Breaks through/broken through: So far as I can tell the first goal in every single game is called "______ breaks through" or "_______ has broken through." I understand that you might want to say that sometimes, maybe even half the time, but can't you say "_____ scores first" or "first goal to _______" or just something else that means the smae thing every once in a while?

Equalizer: Any team down by one goal is looking for one of these. Every time a team down by one goal scores, that's what they call it. Again, sometimes is OK but EVERY SINGLE TIME? Can't it be "Latveria has tied it up" or "that makes it 1-1 and it's all even" or any other combination of words.

I completely understand that soccer has its own lingo, as do other sports, but these aren't technical terms, they're simple cliches.

What 2014 FIFA World Cup clinches have you noticed? Be the first to break through, or wait for someone else to do it and you can post an equalizer!
Back to top Go down

2014 FIFA World Cup cliches thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1