HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons Empty
PostSubject: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 1:16 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/24/ps4s-controller-ditches-its-analogue-buttons

The PS4's DualShock 4 controller won't make use of analogue face buttons.

VentureBeat reveals that the next-gen controller won't be able to sense how hard you're pressing its buttons, unlike the PlayStation 3's DualShock.

"With the DualShock 3, we were able to get analog data, which games didn’t really use," said Sony product planning manager Toshimasa Aoki. "For DualShock 4, we deleted that, and now it’s all digital. The mechanism inside is a little different, and the data that games get is different."

The DualShock 3 isn’t really the same distance there.

Alongside this news, Aoki made a pretty startling revelation; the face buttons on the DualShock 3 aren't equally spaced. Square and Circle are, in fact, slightly further apart than Triangle and X. Amusingly, it wasn't until Sony was beginning work on the DualShock 4 that it was properly noticed.

"Nobody noticed it. Actually, when we were testing and laying it out, we said, ‘Hey, the DualShock 3 isn’t really the same distance there,'" he explained. "When we designed the DualShock 4, we wanted the touchpad to be in the middle and as large as possible but not enough to make the controller really big. We made the square and circle a little closer, so they’re the same distance as all the buttons. That saves horizontal space to have more for the touchpad."

It's been quite a week for news on the DualShock 4; we've learned that early prototypes fiddled with the stick layout, taking a lead from the Xbox 360 controller, and that it'll work with the PS3 in a limited capacity.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 6:06 am

Personally, I hate the sticks as buttons. Always accidentally pressing them and doing something in the game you didn't mean too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 4:44 pm

quote:

This article was a little confusing. When I first read it I thought they meant you can't click in the analogue sticks, which would be awful news since most games use that feature.

But it is just referring to the 4 face buttons no longer being pressure sensitive, which only affects a handful of games last gen. I assume the triggers are still pressure sensitive since racing games basically require this.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 pm

I still don't understand. What does pressure sensitive mean?

Favorite Current Wrestlers:
1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
Your dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 5:11 pm

Batman wrote:
I still don't understand. What does pressure sensitive mean?
the x, triangle, square, and circle buttons on ps3 are able to be pressed softly or hardly or normally on ps3. very very few games used this feature to complete different moves, etc in games

they are taking it out of the ps4 controller since no one used it
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Really? Isn't it used like, when jumping? Or accelerating in driving games?

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Jumping in most games is more so press and theyll jump no matter what it is programed to be. For driving games, you have the triggers for that Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 pm

rx,

nope, thats more like computer.

mashing the botton doesnt do shit
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Really? I always remember they said "Hold A to jump, tap to hop" or shit like that

1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Your dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 6:20 pm

hold means hold for over a second

tap means hold for like 1/10 of a second. lol

tapping doesnt mean you are pressing it lightly hahaha
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 5:37 am

Oh wait, I got confused and thought it meant just the sticks lol.

I've seen this function used, but probably not as much as it used to be say on the PS1. I doubt it will that much of a difference is barely any developers actually used it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons   PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons Empty

Back to top Go down

PS4's Controller Ditches its Analogue Buttons

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1