HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ESPN Insider article: Free-agency grades for all 32 teams -- March 30, 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

ESPN Insider article: Free-agency grades for all 32 teams -- March 30, 2016 Empty
PostSubject: ESPN Insider article: Free-agency grades for all 32 teams -- March 30, 2016   ESPN Insider article: Free-agency grades for all 32 teams -- March 30, 2016 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 am

Free-agency grades for all 32 teams

March 30, 2016

10:48 AM ET

Mike Sando
ESPN Senior Writer

Quarterback maneuvering has largely defined NFL free agency to this point in the offseason.

Brock Osweiler found $37 million guaranteed with the Houston Texans. The Washington Redskins used the franchise tag for Kirk Cousins. The Cleveland Browns scooped up Robert Griffin III. The New York Jets engaged Ryan Fitzpatrick in a stare-down. The Philadelphia Eagles signed Chase Daniel, paid Sam Bradford and traded Mark Sanchez. Colin Kaepernick tried to force a trade from the San Francisco 49ers. Meanwhile, the Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Giants spent lavishly on their sagging defenses.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Stay up to date on all of our best stories, tools, predictions and insights year-round. ESPN INSIDER ON FACEBOOK

ESPN analysts Bill Polian, Louis Riddick, Field Yates and Mark Dominik joined me in making sense of the madness for our annual free agency report card. We handed out grades from 'A' to 'F' in assessing how teams fared while the big money was changing hands. Analysts disagreed over some of the grades, of course, so we averaged the results.

"There are often no good answers in free agency," Polian cautioned. "You can be damned if you do, damned if you don't -- especially if you are good." Unless you're the New England Patriots, who came away with one of our highest grades. Even Polian, one of free agency's biggest skeptics, thought the Patriots crushed this signing period.

The teams are listed in order from best grades to worst. To quickly find how your team fared, use the links below.

ARI | ATL | BAL | BUF | CAR | CHI | CIN | CLE | DAL | DEN | DET | GB | HOU | IND | JAC | KC | LA | MIA | MIN | NE | NO | NYG | NYJ | OAK | PHI | PIT | SD | SF | SEA | TB | TEN | WAS

Philadelphia Eagles
Grade: A

Extended: TE Zach Ertz, TE Brent Celek, RT Lane Johnson, FS Malcolm Jenkins

Re-signed: DE Vinny Curry, LB Najee Goode, QB Sam Bradford, CB Nolan Carroll

Signed: WR Seantavius Jones, CB Leodis McKelvin, G Brandon Brooks, S Rodney McLeod, QB Chase Daniel, LB Nigel Bradham, CB Ron Brooks, WR Chris Givens, WR Rueben Randle

Acquired/traded: The eighth overall pick in the 2016 draft from Miami for CB Byron Maxwell, LB Kiko Alonzo and the 13th overall pick; a fourth-round pick in the 2016 draft from Tennessee for RB DeMarco Murray and a 2016 fourth-round pick; conditional seventh-round pick in the 2017 draft from Denver for QB Mark Sanchez

Lost/Cut: DT Cedric Thornton, QB Thad Lewis, WR Riley Cooper, LB DeMeco Ryans, DE Brandon Bair

Finding teams to take the Murray and Maxwell contracts made this free agency period a success independent of whether firing Chip Kelly was the right move for Philadelphia.

"It is a makeover," Polian said, "but unlike in Cleveland, it is a makeover that you can say, 'Oh, yeah, this makes sense, this makes sense, this guy fits.' Now, how well they play remains to be seen, but at least you can see things fitting."

Dominik liked the Eagles moving from 13th to eighth in the first-round order because he sees nine blue-chip players in this draft, counting two quarterbacks. He thought the Eagles' trades allowed them to dump salaries while recouping draft capital roughly equivalent to the second-round pick they sent to St. Louis in the Sam Bradford trade last offseason. Dominik credited the Eagles for anticipating the market as well as any team in the league when re-signing their players.

"They went a little steep with Curry, but he will fit Jim Schwartz," Riddick said. "Bradford is a good fit for Doug Pederson. Nolan Carroll they respected. They paid top money for Brandon Brooks, but needed to do something there. Rodney McLeod, I love how he plays. Chase Daniel should have started over Alex Smith at one point last season. I like Nigel Bradham physically. And then to be able to get rid of Maxwell and Alonso and DeMarco and then moving Mark Sanchez is amazing. I'd be dancing a jig in the middle of Broad Street."

New England Patriots
Grade: A-minus

Extended: QB Tom Brady

Re-signed: FB James Develin, T LaAdrian Waddle, S Nate Ebner

Signed: LB Ramon Humber, WR Chris Hogan, DL Frank Kearse, DE Chris Long, LB Shea McClellin

Acquired/traded: G Jonathan Cooper and a 2016 second-round pick (No. 61 overall) from Arizona for OLB Chandler Jones; TE Martellus Bennett and a 2016 sixth-round pick from Chicago for a 2016 fourth-round pick.

Lost/cut: DL Akiem Hicks, DB Tavon Wilson, LB Jerod Mayo (retired), WR Brandon LaFell, TE Scott Chandler, CB Leonard Johnson, LB Darius Fleming

Trading a productive pass-rusher in his prime was not ideal for the Patriots, but as much as any team, they make moves with the long term in mind. They got something in return for Jones now so they can better deal with the contracts for others next offseason, figuring Jones would have been too expensive anyway. And if Cooper blossoms under line coach Dante Scarnecchia, all the better.

"These guys robbed the bank," Polian said. "They sign one of Buffalo's top receivers in Hogan. That alone was great. They get Chris Long. They find out whether McClellin can become another Ninkovich. Is he Jabaal Sheard? If he is Sheard, they hit a home run. They get Ebner back, who is an invaluable special-teams guy. And who did they lose in free agency? Hardly anybody."

Dominik reduced his analysis to a simple question.

"Let me check, are Belichick and Brady still there?" he quipped. "You should probably get a 'B' just for that. I would not give them an 'A' because I do not love the Chandler Jones trade for them. In terms of the additions and keeping their guys, they have a lot of guys who will help them. With Hogan being a younger slot player, he can help Tom move the chains."

Riddick predicted 50 catches for Hogan in 2016. He did not like subtracting Hicks, but he said the Patriots' moves showed they remain a step ahead.

Arizona Cardinals
Grade: B-plus

Re-signed: S Chris Clemons, P Drew Butler, QB Drew Stanton, TE Ifeanyi Momah, TE Jermaine Gresham, DT Red Bryant, RB Chris Johnson

Signed: S Tyvon Branch, G Evan Mathis

Acquired/traded: OLB/DL Chandler Jones from New England for G Jonathan Cooper and a 2016 second-round choice

Lost/cut: T Bobby Massie, T Bradley Sowell, LB Sean Weatherspoon, S Rashad Johnson

The Cardinals have had one player -- John Abraham in 2013 -- reach double-digit sacks in a season since Bertrand Berry did it in 2004. General manager Steve Keim waited less than 24 hours after Arizona's playoff defeat at Carolina to declare the obvious: adding pass-rush help would be the Cardinals' top priority this offseason. Acquiring Jones addressed that need forcefully.

"Trading for at least one season of Chandler Jones and picking up a player who is 26 years old, long and athletic and in the prime physical portion of his career, that is the move of the offseason for Arizona," Yates said. "This is Steve Keim and Bruce Arians saying they are basically one element away."

The question later becomes whether the Cardinals are getting more than one season of Jones, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. If Jones helps them win the Super Bowl, who cares?

"They are a win-now team," Polian said. "They are not worrying about tomorrow. Go win it now."

Talented pass-rushers in their primes rarely move on the trade market. Did the Patriots know something about Jones that made him expendable? Or were they merely figuring they might as well get something immediate in return for a player who might be too expensive for them next offseason?

"Short term, this is a good move and he is a good football player, but the ramifications go beyond this year," Riddick said. "I do like what Arizona is doing. I liked the Jermaine Gresham re-signing and I liked how they valued the No. 2 QB spot. This is a solid free agency period without a whole lot of action."

Green Bay Packers

Re-signed: DT Letroy Guion, K Mason Crosby, G Lane Taylor, OLB Nick Perry, RB James Starks, DL Mike Daniels

Signed: TE Jared Cook

Lost/cut: CB Casey Hayward, QB Scott Tolzien, NT B.J. Raji (taking hiatus from football)

The Packers were predictably the only team to sign zero unrestricted free agents over the first few weeks of the signing period. They struck late by adding Cook, a fast and talented player who will finally benefit from a top-tier quarterback. Matt Hasselbeck, Austin Davis, Jake Locker, Nick Foles, Kellen Clemens, Sam Bradford, Kerry Collins and Shaun Hill have been Cook's primary quarterbacks during his career. And because the Rams released Cook, his signing will not factor into the equation for compensatory draft choices.

"Much like Baltimore, Green Bay plays the compensatory market and tries to go into every draft with 10 picks or more," Dominik said. "It has been working. They have won a lot of games over the past decade, so it is hard to challenge their mindset. It's easier to do that when you have Aaron Rodgers."

Getting a healthy Jordy Nelson back on the field could solve the Packers' problems at wide receiver. Cook has the potential to help in that regard as well. The offensive line needs to improve, but as Yates said, there's no need for an overhaul there. Some tweaking through the draft could do the job.

"Letting go of Casey Hayward, who I liked coming out of college, is really a non-issue for them considering how many young DBs they drafted," Riddick said. "Micah Hyde plays that role. Quinten Rollins plays that role. Damarious Randall plays that role. They have done such a good job in the draft getting the profiles they want. I cannot really give them a grade, good or bad, because free agency is just not their thing."

New York Giants

Re-signed: LS Zak DeOssie, DE Jason Pierre-Paul, MLB Jasper Brinkley, G Adam Gettis, TE Jerome Cunningham

Signed: DE Olivier Vernon, CB Janoris Jenkins, DT Damon Harrison, LB Keenan Robinson

Lost/cut: DE Robert Ayers, CB Prince Amukamara, G Geoff Schwartz, LT Will Beatty, WR Rueben Randle, LB Jon Beason (retired)

There is nothing fundamentally sound about how the Giants are trying to build their defense. The question is, did they have any choice under the circumstances?

"They had no choice," Polian said. "If you are going to spend it on somebody, spend it on somebody who performs. Vernon does. It is a lot of money, but that is the business. I could justify giving them an 'A' because they got good players."

Riddick had a harder time going that high simply because he thought the Giants were to blame for getting into such a desperate situation from a personnel standpoint. He thought the Giants spent too much for a two-down player in Harrison. He also thought adding top-of-the-market free agents could make life a little tougher for a first-time head coach. Yates justified the spending by saying the Giants could reasonably think these moves could buoy their defense enough to enable a 2016 push for a division title. Dominik thought an 'A' grade was appropriate.

"It's not like the Rams wanted to lose Janoris, and I know for a fact losing Vernon was not the most popular move in [Miami]," Dominik said. "The Giants took advantage of two unique situations affecting very talented players on other teams. These were good moves."

Oakland Raiders

Re-signed: FS Nate Allen, P Marquette King, WR Seth Roberts, WR Andre Holmes, LT Donald Penn

Signed: LG Kelechi Osemele, LB Bruce Irvin, CB Sean Smith, LB Daren Bates, S Brynden Trawick

Lost/cut: C Tony Bergstrom, WR Rod Streater, T J'Marcus Webb, LB Curtis Lofton, S Taylor Mays

The Raiders still do not need to worry much about re-signing their own players, which means they're in position to add expensive free agents. They did that with Osemele in particular. Irvin and Smith were also higher-priced buys. Adding Osemele -- and retaining Penn -- could give Oakland one of the better offensive lines.

"They had money to spend and did spend," Dominik said. "They have their quarterback. Then it becomes about protecting the quarterback and attacking the other quarterback. Osemele protects Derek Carr. Irvin attacks the quarterback. They have given Reggie McKenzie time, and it is paying off."

There was some thought defensive coordinator Ken Norton would know how to use and motivate Irvin, a player he coached in Seattle. Adding Smith weakened a division rival. Re-signing Penn was a move that could have gone under the radar with so much attention on Osemele. Riddick said he thought the Raiders were a team in a groove.

"I like it when teams have strategy you can understand where you are going with it," Yates said. "There is a good chance the Raiders want to overwhelm you at the point of attack on offense. That is why you pay Osemele. The Bruce Irvin deal was less expensive than I thought it would be. They needed corners in the worst way and got Smith."

Washington Redskins

Franchise player: QB Kirk Cousins (signed)

Re-signed: QB Colt McCoy, LB Mason Foster, S Duke Ihenacho, DT Kedric Golston, TE Logan Paulsen, P Tress Way, CB Will Blackmon, OLB Junior Galette

Signed: DE Kendall Reyes, S David Bruton, LB Terence Garvin

Lost/cut: DE Frank Kearse, LB Keenan Robinson, DE Jason Hatcher, QB Robert Griffin III, S Dashon Goldson, S Jeron Johnson, RB Alfred Morris

Using the franchise tag for Cousins headlined another methodical free agency period for Washington. Riddick singled out Ihenacho, Golston, Paulsen, Reyes and Bruton as players he liked among those who signed or re-signed with the Redskins. But this free agency period was all about the quarterback.

"To me, it was a no-brainer to tag Cousins," Yates said. "The top new contract for a quarterback was Osweiler. Even if Cousins plays on the tag this year and is outstanding and they win the division again and he bumps his price even higher, fine, pay him. Beyond that, the Kendall Reyes signing was one signing I liked a lot. Bruton is a stud special-teamer."

Neither Dominik nor Polian found fault with the Redskins' approach under second-year general manager Scot McCloughan.

"They had to keep the quarterback, and he is there," Dominik said. "In McCloughan they trust."

Carolina Panthers
Grade: B

Franchise player: CB Josh Norman (unsigned)

Re-signed: LS J.J. Jansen, LB Ben Jacobs, G Chris Scott, WR Stephen Hill, DE Charles Johnson, QB Joe Webb, FB Mike Tolbert

Signed: C Gino Gradkowski, S Trenton Robinson, CB Brandon Boykin

Lost/cut: P Brad Nortman, DE Jared Allen (retired), DT Dwan Edwards, DT Nate Chandler

The Panthers have not done much beyond re-signing Tolbert and Johnson, two key veteran role players. That was the point after the team spent last offseason re-signing Greg Olsen, Cam Newton, Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly. The team presumably would like to strike a long-term deal with cornerback Josh Norman, their franchise player. That has not happened.

"I'm convinced this might be the most stable model of success in the NFL right now," Yates said. "My question looking at them is, how many spots are available on the 53-man roster as of the first day of free agency? There are not many. You could say they need to add another target in the passing game, but if you spend there, does it prevent you from getting a deal done with Norman?"

Dominik said the Panthers are probably bracing themselves for next offseason, when defensive tackle Kawann Short will be in line for a new contract. The money Malik Jackson commanded from the Giants had to be eye-opening for other teams with top defensive tackles, although Carolina does have the franchise tag as leverage.

While Yates thought Carolina deserved an 'A' grade, the broader consensus said the grade should be lower simply because the Panthers have not done much -- not that standing pat is bad for a team that has shown it can get good value from lower-end investments such as Michael Oher and Kurt Coleman.

"They have a plan," Riddick said.

Chicago Bears

Franchise player: WR Alshon Jeffery (signed)

Re-signed: WR Josh Bellamy, CB Tracy Porter, RB Jacquizz Rodgers, CB Sherrick McManis, DL Mitch Unrein, WR Marc Mariani, TE Zach Miller, TE Rob Housler, WR Deonte Thompson, LB Sam Acho, S Chris Prosinski

Signed: LB Danny Trevathan, RT Bobby Massie, LB Jerrell Freeman, DE Akiem Hicks, LS Aaron Brewer

Acquired/traded: 2016 fourth-round pick from New England for TE Martellus Bennett and a 2016 sixth-round pick

Lost/cut: LT Jermon Bushrod, RB Matt Forte, DL Jarvis Jenkins, LB Shea McClellin

The Bears focused more on quantity than quality and still managed upgrades, especially at linebacker. Trevathan's limitations in coverage were a potential concern among the panel given his $7 million salary average. But adding defensive players familiar to the Bears' scheme seemed like a logical approach.

"Trevathan is not the same caliber player of Bobby Wagner or Luke Kuechly, who make $10 million a season," Yates said. "But unlike those guys, he did hit the market, so that is exceptional value for Chicago. Trevathan, Freeman and Hicks all project as Day 1 starters in a front seven that needed it in a major way. Bobby Massie is just as much about Kyle Long playing guard. You have a young back [Jeremy Langford] who will get his first chance to be a bell cow."

Polian called the Bears' approach "sound and solid," even though he, like Dominik, was taking a wait-and-see approach at running back after the Bears cut ties with Matt Forte. Dominik noted that Trevathan and Hicks did not sufficiently address the Bears' need for additional speed on defense. Presumably, that will be an area Chicago targets in the draft.

"They will be looking for outside pass rushers in the draft," Riddick said. "They need more juice off the edge. Without it, that defense does not go. They need to help Pernell McPhee. I like this free agency period for them, especially their signings. They all make perfect sense to me."

Detroit Lions

Re-signed: DT Tyrunn Walker, DT Haloti Ngata, LB Tahir Whitehead, QB Dan Orlovsky, LS Don Muhlbach, CB Crezdon Butler, TE Tim Wright

Signed: WR Marvin Jones, S Tavon Wilson, DB Johnson Bademosi, DT Stefan Charles, S Rafael Bush, WR Jeremy Kerley, OL Geoff Schwartz

Lost/cut: RB Joique Bell, DT C.J. Wilson, S Isa Abdul-Quddus, LB Travis Lewis, WR Calvin Johnson (retired), CB Rashean Mathis (retired)

The Lions needed to address their receiver situation after Calvin Johnson retired. They did that by signing Jones away from the Bengals. That move went over well with the panel. So did re-signing Walker and Whitehead while adding role players such as Bademosi, Charles and Bush.

"You can never replace Megatron, but I love Marvin Jones' outside playmaking ability," Riddick said. "I love the Bademosi sighing. That move and Wilson, those guys are similar -- good special-teams players. You can see where Bob Quinn likes the Bill Belichick type of player who is multidimensional and special-teams strong. I like that. Bush is another hammer. These are not flashy signings in free agency, but they represent good team-building signings. Philosophically, you can see their origins in Quinn's New England upbringing."

Dominik said the Lions' under-the-radar moves in free agency could be a case of a first-year GM wanting to get a feel for his team before moving too aggressively.

Polian liked the value in re-signing Whitehead, a player he considers underappreciated. He had no problem with what the Lions paid Jones.

"If you want to play, you have to pay," Polian said.

Houston Texans

Re-signed: K Nick Novak, P Shane Lechler, T Chris Clark, S Eddie Pleasant, RB Jonathan Grimes, CB A.J. Bouye

Signed: QB Brock Osweiler, G Jeff Allen, RB Lamar Miller, OL Tony Bergstrom, S Antonio Allen

Lost/cut: RB Arian Foster, TE Garrett Graham, FS Rahim Moore, G Brandon Brooks, C Ben Jones, WR Nate Washington

The success of this free agency period hinges almost completely on whether Osweiler becomes the quarterback Houston thinks he can become. The Texans gave him $37 million guaranteed over the next two seasons, which means jobs are on the line if he does not play well. Coach Bill O'Brien's track record working with quarterbacks earned Houston the benefit of the doubt from some.

"They had to swing for the fences because they felt Osweiler was the best way to fix a big problem in Houston and become a Super Bowl contender," Dominik said. "I think nobody can sit there and say they hit or did not hit. That move swings the whole grade. I'd give them a 'B' grade, but it can become and 'A' or a 'D' on that one move."

Miller's addition made sense as a replacement for Foster. Polian supported the move from that angle, but he was less optimistic than our other analysts that Miller would justify his contract.

"I don't know that he is necessarily going to be what they hoped him to be," Polian said. "What I saw was a kind of in-and-out guy for the first three years and then last year, the light went on. Did the light go on because it was his contract year or because it went on?"

The conversation kept coming back to Osweiler. Polian leaned toward saying he thought Osweiler would be less prone to interceptions than Houston predecessors Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick. He also thought O'Brien was up there with Andy Reid among the best developers of quarterbacks. Yates thought the Texans needed to spend on their offense after DeAndre Hopkins was forced to carry too much of the load last season. Adding Osweiler, Miller and two starters along the offensive line showed Houston also thought a big investment was necessary.

"I like the Osweiler move," Riddick said. "I understand the move. They had to do it or people lose their jobs down there. It is not necessarily a panic move. They are all-in."

Jacksonville Jaguars

Re-signed: QB Chad Henne, TE Marcedes Lewis

Signed: DT Malik Jackson, S Tashaun Gipson, RB Chris Ivory, P Brad Nortman, CB Prince Amukamara, G Mackenzy Bernadeau, LT Kelvin Beachum

Lost/cut: RB Toby Gerhart, T Sam Young, G Zane Beadles, DL Andre Branch, DE Chris Clemons

The Jaguars needed to get better on defense and in the running game. They had the flexibility to spend lavishly without compromising their longer-term outlook regarding the salary cap. And so they swung for the free-agent fences. Jacksonville landed Jackson and made a strong push for Olivier Vernon. The money spent for Ivory did not go over very well, although Polian thought the fit was better for Ivory in Jacksonville, where he can be part of a 1-2 punch, than it had been with the Jets.

"I think it is a 'B' grade that would have been an 'A' if they could have gotten Vernon," Dominik said. "Jacksonville has improved that front seven and will continue to do that in the draft, but in the secondary, I'm not sure Amukamara is a good enough fit for what they have to have there. He has size but does not play tough, is not really aware, does not have great ball skills. He is on the field and has some size to him, but when you break it down, you are not checking a lot of boxes."

Riddick credited the Jaguars for strengthening their team down the middle of the field with Ivory, Jackson and Gipson. Yates thought Jacksonville might have added more talent than any other team.

"That is a big number on Malik Jackson, but every other notable name they added comes with some contract flexibility," Yates said.

Minnesota Vikings

Re-signed: S Andrew Sendejo, DT Kenrick Ellis, LB Audie Cole, OL Mike Harris, CB Marcus Sherels, DE Justin Trattou, CB Terence Newman, TE Rhett Ellison, RB Matt Asiata

Signed: G Alex Boone, LB Emmanuel Lamur, S Michael Griffin, LB Travis Lewis, RT Andre Smith, TE Brian Leonhardt

Lost/cut: WR Mike Wallace, CB Josh Robinson, S Robert Blanton

The status quo is not necessarily a bad thing for Minnesota, a team that seems to be following a plan methodically and reaping the benefits incrementally.

"I feel like this is a really healthy team salary-cap wise, which is why this is another good offseason," Yates said. "They added a starter in Boone, a starter in Lamur and a potential starter in Andre Smith. They could have kept Mike Wallace, but this team has so much positivity and direction."

Riddick thought Griffin was an overrated signing. And he thought releasing Wallace was a good idea, in retrospect, based on what Wallace said about quarterback Teddy Bridgewater after the fact.

"[Mike] Zimmer and [Rick] Spielman are building something there and they are staying the course," Dominik said. "It is hard to fault them there."

Pittsburgh Steelers

Re-signed: LS Greg Warren, S Robert Golden, WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, CB William Gay, LG Ramon Foster

Signed: TE Ladarius Green, T Ryan Harris, LB Steven Johnson

Lost/cut: DT Steve McLendon, T Kelvin Beachum, WR Martavis Bryant (suspended), WR David Nelson, CB Antwon Blake, CB Brandon Boykin, LB Sean Spence, RB Jordan Todman

Losing Martavis Bryant to a season-long suspension after Heath Miller retired put the Steelers in a tough situation. They need to be right on Ladarius Green as a receiving tight end for this free-agent signing period to ultimately succeed.

"Ladarius is a different type of signing for Pittsburgh, but I like what he will do from a passing-game perspective," Riddick said. "Losing Martavis is huge, huge, huge. Heyward-Bey has found his niche. Gay is someone everyone in the league thinks they should move on from, but Mike Tomlin likes him. Ramon Foster, a solid re-signing."

Dominik liked the way the Steelers set up themselves for a draft that appears heavier on quality defensive backs, which could work to Pittsburgh's advantage. Yates thought there were enough questions at receiver for the passing game to take a hit unless Sammie Coates emerges.

"They are doing exactly what they need to do given the restrictions they have on the cap," Polian said. "I did not like seeing them lose McLendon, but GM Kevin Colbert knows more about that than I do. He was just a guy I liked a lot."

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Re-signed: S Keith Tandy, RB Doug Martin, S Chris Conte

Signed: G J.R. Sweezy, DE Robert Ayers, CB Brent Grimes, CB Josh Robinson, LB Daryl Smith, P Bryan Anger

Released: LB Bruce Carter, LG Logan Mankins (retired)

The Buccaneers' handling of Martin's situation -- handing him a big deal after declining to pick up his fifth-year option -- opened Tampa Bay to criticism in some quarters. Not here. Our analysts liked that move and the moves to add Sweezy and (to some degree) Ayers.

"If you are going to pay a running back, then pay one of your own players, a guy you have a history with and know his projected performance better than anybody," Riddick said. "If you are bringing a guy in and paying that position given the attrition rate, then I'd be skeptical. He is making $7.2 million. Miller gets $6.5 million to change teams. You have a young quarterback, you have to keep the run game strong, you have invested in the offensive line."

Polian pointed to the turmoil in Tampa over the past few years and questioned whether the Buccaneers were even in position to pick up Martin's fifth-year option comfortably. He also said Tampa needed to find out whether Martin could stay healthy for a season. Dominik wasn't as excited about the Ayers signing, noting that the Giants let him go despite being desperate for pass-rush help. But with the Giants chasing Olivier Vernon and re-signing Jason Pierre-Paul, Ayers became available.

"I like what the Bucs have done," Yates said. "If you look at the circumstances, they were able to get Ayers, who the Giants wanted back. They got Sweezy, who Seattle wanted. They could have bought the option on Martin, but that is a decent deal for a very good running back. You have a really good young quarterback in Jameis Winston. Do not run away from a good running back in Winston's second season."

Atlanta Falcons
Grade: B-minus

Re-signed: S Ricardo Allen, S Charles Godfrey, T Bryce Harris, DL Adrian Clayborn, MLB Paul Worrilow

Signed: C Alex Mack, DE Derrick Shelby, QB Matt Schaub, WR Mohamed Sanu, LB Sean Weatherspoon, T Tom Compton, LB LaRoy Reynolds, OLB Courtney Upshaw

Lost/cut: C Gino Gradkowski, S William Moore, LB Justin Durant, DT Paul Soliai, WR Roddy White

Adding Mack to stabilize the offensive line, re-signing Clayborn to help the pass rush and adding Sanu to replace White drew positive reviews, although Mack's $9 million annual salary average was steep. Some thought Mack's addition could help the team get more from its investment in guard Andy Levitre, whose play suffered from what was happening around him.

"I know how important the center-to-quarterback relationship is," Dominik said, "and I feel like Mack will play a long time and stabilize that line. I love that signing. Sanu is another big target, a 2-3 hybrid who can be a No. 2. He's a smart player who knows what to do."

Free agency isn't just about adding players. It's also about knowing which ones to subtract. Riddick noted that Moore was overpaid for his production, Durant had durability concerns, Soliai's contract was too rich and White had declined precipitously of late. Clayborn was on the expensive side for a player who has yet to prove he can stay healthy, but that was a risk the team was willing to take.

"Adrian Clayborn resurrected his career as an inside pass rusher and I know Scott Pioli really liked Ricardo Allen," Riddick said. "I like those two re-signings in particular. This was an OK free agency and not great, which is really how they like it. Scott [Pioli] and Tom [Dimitroff] do not want to be winning the offseason. Their roots are trying to sign mid-level free agents who are workers and do it in the draft."

Cincinnati Bengals

Re-signed: WR Brandon Tate, FS George Iloka, CB Adam Jones, T Eric Winston, LB Vincent Rey, DT Pat Sims

Signed: S Taylor Mays, WR Brandon LaFell

Lost/cut: WR Marvin Jones, WR Mohamed Sanu, LB Emmanuel Lamur, T Andre Smith

The Bengals have established themselves as one of the effective draft-and-develop teams, which means their relative inactivity draws more knowing nods than criticism. Re-signing Iloka was a priority, but the Bengals still came away with a favorable contract structure, especially for the first year. Keeping Rey was another move that went over well. Adding LaFell from New England should not stop the Bengals from targeting a wide receiver in the draft.

"Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu are two big losses," Polian said. "You'd like not to have lost both, but you cannot always do it. Marvin Jones got a helluva deal from Detroit. He is a good player."

The Bengals still have an elite receiving tight end (Tyler Eifert) and one of the game's most dynamic wide receivers (A.J. Green). That's a lot to build around.

"This is another team playing the compensatory game," Dominik said. "They have been so built through the draft, they have to let guys go. They will get two good comp picks. They tried to maintain. It's hard to punish them with a low grade for that."

Kansas City Chiefs

Extended: TE Travis Kelce

Franchise player: S Eric Berry (unsigned)

Re-signed: OLB Tamba Hali, LB Derrick Johnson, DL Jaye Howard, LB Frank Zombo, DT David King, CB Jamell Fleming

Signed: RT Mitchell Schwartz, WR Rod Streater

Lost/cut: LG Ben Grubbs, OL Jeff Allen, CB Sean Smith, DB Tyvon Branch, QB Chase Daniel, T Donald Stephenson

Bad news on two fronts -- Justin Houston's knee injury, and league-mandated penalties for tampering with Jeremy Maclin last offseason -- upstaged Kansas City's work in free agency. That did not affect the Chiefs' grade here, but it does affect their outlook. Re-signing Travis Kelce before free agency gave Kansas City the flexibility to keep Berry from hitting the market. Getting a reasonably priced deal with Howard was another plus.

"I like the veterans they kept on that team," Dominik said. "At a certain point, you cap what you are going to pay your corner, Sean Smith. They made good overall football decisions. The only thing I worry about is you're competing in a division where the Raiders feel like they are getting a lot better and a lot faster. The league is about passing. You lose your corner. That hurts a little bit and they did not add strong youth to the team."

Riddick liked the Schwartz addition and the Daniel subtraction. The latter move cleared the way for Aaron Murray to compete for the No. 2 quarterback role. Riddick liked Murray coming out of Georgia and thinks he could serve effectively in the backup role.

"Most of the guys they re-signed were critical guys for them as they try to make a run at it," Polian said. "They did what they had to do. They prioritized everything."

Tennessee Titans

Re-signed: TE Craig Stevens, RB Antonio Andrews, DT Al Woods

Signed: CB Brice McCain, WR Rishard Matthews, LB Sean Spence, QB Matt Cassel, C Ben Jones, CB Antwon Blake, OL Byron Bell

Acquired/traded: RB DeMarco Murray and a 2016 fourth-round pick from Philadelphia for a 2016 fourth-round pick

Lost/cut: S Michael Griffin, CB Coty Sensabaugh, LB Steven Johnson

Applauding the Eagles for dumping Murray's salary does not mean the move was a bad one for the Titans, who needed a back and had the cap flexibility to absorb the contract.

"I am kind of high on what they did," Dominik said. "It was a solid free agency. When you flip spots in fourth round and get a running back with something to prove and can really help out Marcus Mariota, I like that move. They will still build through the draft. They were very patient, not being crazy. The moves they made were very accurate and very correct."

Riddick did not support adding Murray, but he liked adding Matthews as a young receiver entering his prime years.

"It is a work in progress," Polian said. "We have no idea what it is going to look like. The running back fits the style they want to play. Tune in later."

Indianapolis Colts
Grade: C-plus

Re-signed: TE Dwayne Allen, K Adam Vinatieri

Signed: QB Scott Tolzien, RB Robert Turbin, RB Jordan Todman, CB Patrick Robinson

Lost/cut: QB Ryan Lindley, LB Jonathan Newsome, LB Andy Studebaker, WR Andre Johnson, QB Josh Freeman, OLB Bjoern Werner, TE Coby Fleener, LB Jerrell Freeman, S Dwight Lowery

The Colts reined in their free-agent spending this offseason. They did not really get better. They also arguably overpaid one tight end (Dwayne Allen) while losing another (Coby Fleener) who seemed to have a good connection with quarterback Andrew Luck. Losing Matt Hasselbeck from the quarterback room looks like another downgrade in the short term.

"Losing Fleener is interesting because that is the quarterback's No. 1 guy," Polian said. "You re-sign Dwayne Allen, who is essentially the complete tight end, the blocker. Fleener is not a blocker. He is really a big slot. But where do you replace his production in the passing game?"

Dominik liked keeping Allen over Fleener. Riddick was not a fan of the money Indy allocated for Allen, whose all-around abilities will carry greater value if he can avoid the injury problems that have slowed him in the past.

"Allen has ended the season on IR twice, so I am skeptical of that move," Riddick said. "I commend them for getting rid of Werner, Freeman and Andre Johnson, but free agency is just not their gig. They have struggled with this aspect of their team building. You'd better be in harmony within your building. They do not seem to have a plan in place."

The Colts did not appear to make themselves better in any area during free agency, but neither did they jeopardize their long-term future. They'll need flexibility for re-signing Luck.

"It's a breath of fresh air strategy-wise," Yates said. "It's nice to see the Colts not spin the wheel on some big-name free agent who was a bigger name three years ago. In the past, they spent for Ricky Jean-Francois and all these guys whose names were familiar, but the price points were exorbitant. I have no issue with any of the players retained or re-signed by the Colts this year. The only move that bothers me is if Matt Hasselbeck wanted to play another year, I'm not sure how you could possibly not want him back for one more season.

Los Angeles Rams

Franchise player: CB Trumaine Johnson (signed)

Re-signed: LB Mark Barron, DE William Hayes, C Tim Barnes, S Cody Davis, WR Brian Quick, C Brian Folkerts, DE Eugene Sims, TE Cory Harkey

Signed: CB Coty Sensabaugh, DE Quinton Coples

Lost/cut: CB Janoris Jenkins, TE Jared Cook, DE Chris Long, MLB James Laurinaitis, DT Nick Fairley

The Rams knew they would be parting with Cook, Long and Laurinaitis. They knew Jenkins was on the way out once they decided to use the franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson. Those moves meant the Rams needed to be more aggressive in keeping together the rest of their defense. That helps explain why Los Angeles shelled out so much for Barron.

"I'm just so surprised there is not a bigger push to get a quarterback," Yates said. "Maybe it is the draft. To be so content with the idea Case Keenum as the starting quarterback is just confounding."

Riddick defended the Rams on the quarterback front. He said signing Robert Griffin III or acquiring Colin Kaepernick would have amounted to activity without achieving anything.

"They are paying Barron a mint, but I like how Gregg Williams has crafted a position for him and saved his career," Riddick said. "William Hayes is a very solid player. Eugene Sims is great depth rotational player who gets a bigger role now. I like the things they have done as far as keeping their own. Coty Sensabaugh, he is not Janoris Jenkins, but they are not looking at him that way. They have a good program developing young defensive backs there."

San Diego Chargers

Re-signed: RT Joe Barksdale, TE Antonio Gates, QB Kellen Clemens, WR Dontrelle Inman, T Kenny Wiggins, OL Chris Hairston, DT Damion Square

Signed: WR Travis Benjamin, S Dwight Lowery, DT Brandon Mebane, CB Casey Hayward

Lost/cut: S Eric Weddle, TE Ladarius Green, DE Kendall Reyes, ILB Donald Butler, ILB Kavell Conner, RB Donald Brown, CB Patrick Robinson

Adding Hayward from the Packers and Benjamin from the Browns were two moves our analysts generally liked. The Chargers also suffered some subtractions that could hurt their talent level overall. Polian said he thought the losses were negligible. Yates took a different tack.

"Look at the three players they lost," Yates said. "Weddle, I did not like how they handled it publicly and that was a good pickup for Baltimore. Ladarius Green, I applauded Pittsburgh for the deal they signed with him. I liked the Kendall Reyes one-year signing in Washington. That said, I do like the moves the Chargers made. Keeping Joe Barksdale was important. Brandon Mebane is a big body in the middle of the defense. I'm not sure how many players other than Mebane and Weddle signed five-year deals after the lockout and never had the contract adjusted. These are reliable guys."

The Chargers still need pass-rush help. That could be a focus in the draft.

"I like the Benjamin signing the best," Dominik said. "He is showing he is developing into a receiver. He can play the slot and the perimeter and take off the top. Other than that, re-signing Gates made sense. Green had four years and didn't really show in San Diego. There are still holes, though."

Seattle Seahawks

Re-signed: DT Ahtyba Rubin, CB Jeremy Lane, WR Jermaine Kearse, P Jon Ryan, LB Eric Pinkins, RB Christine Michael, LB Mike Morgan

Signed: T Bradley Sowell, OL J'Marcus Webb, DT Sealver Siliga

Lost/cut: DT Brandon Mebane, LB Bruce Irvin, G J.R. Sweezy, LT Russell Okung, DT Jesse Williams, LS Clint Gresham

The Seahawks were another good team with a high-priced quarterback suffering the usual offseason attrition. The deals for Lane and Kearse made sense, as did re-signing Rubin. Losing Irvin was a given. Losing Okung was likely. It's tough getting better when you're mostly trying to minimize losses.

"This is what happens when you are really good for a long time and have paid your quarterback," Yates said. "The players they lost got good deals from other teams, except for Okung. I also look at who they kept. Those were good value signings. The Lane deal was very reasonable for a No. 2 corner. The Kearse deal was smart for both sides."

Riddick did not mind Seattle letting Sweezy hit the market, but he disliked their adding Sowell and Webb to the mix along the offensive line.

"I think it was all understood that this was what was going to happen," Dominik said. "It is hard to beat up the organization. They did nothing wrong. But when you identify your core, your 7-8 guys, you can only pay so many guys. That is just what you do."

Baltimore Ravens
Grade: C

Extended: QB Joe Flacco

Franchise player: K Justin Tucker (signed)

Re-signed: LB Albert McClellan, CB Shareece Wright, LS Morgan Cox, WR Marlon Brown

Signed: TE Ben Watson, FS Eric Weddle, WR Mike Wallace

Lost/cut: OL Kelechi Osemele, QB Matt Schaub, LB Courtney Upshaw, WR Chris Givens, DE Chris Canty, LB Daryl Smith, S Will Hill

The Ravens sought salary-cap relief before signing former Chargers safety Eric Weddle, who could become the presence their defense has lacked in the middle of the field. Baltimore collected a league-low six interceptions last season. Dominik said he thought Weddle had "a lot of game still in him" after a rough ending to his San Diego career. Yates also liked what Weddle might bring. Riddick understood adding Weddle but questioned the veteran additions elsewhere.

"Watson, Weddle and Wallace all are guys who are near the tail end of their careers, I believe," Riddick said. "Weddle has a sterling reputation, but I think it is bigger than what his influence will be on the field as a playmaker. That is fine. The Ravens' secondary needs some of that. I understand why you make veteran allowances sometimes."

The Ravens are playing the compensatory-pick game as a team with a highly paid quarterback. Osemele's departure stands out as one that will hurt the offense.

"I'm not excited about having to move money around with Marshal Yanda, Joe Flacco and Jimmy Smith when you lose Kelechi Osemele, your best offensive lineman," Yates said.

Buffalo Bills

Franchise player: LT Cordy Glenn (signed)

Re-signed: LG Richie Incognito

Signed: TE Jim Dray, S Robert Blanton

Lost/cut: DE Mario Williams, CB Leodis McKelvin, DT Stefan Charles, WR Chris Hogan, LB Nigel Bradham, CB Ron Brooks, OL Kraig Urbik, RB Anthony Dixon

The Bills' tight salary cap made this a predictably quiet free agency period for them. Releasing Williams and McKelvin came as no shock. Using the franchise tag on Glenn was a given. Re-signing Incognito was a plus. Losing Hogan to New England as a restricted free agent will probably help the Patriots more than it will hurt the Bills, but anything good for New England is still bad for Buffalo. The cap situation also played a role in losing Charles, who signed with Detroit after going untendered as an RFA.

"The Stefan Charles situation does not totally change the narrative of your offseason, but like the Saints, you get into such a tight cap pinch that you are unable to executive fairly simple restricted tenders for pretty good players," Yates said. "Charles is not John Randle, but he is a good, young player you should be able to keep based on the setup of the system."

Dominik said he thought the Bills needed to save their resources in case quarterback Tyrod Taylor commands a high price heading toward next offseason.

"They were prepared to be boring in free agency, and they were," Dominik said.

Dallas Cowboys

Re-signed: MLB Rolando McClain, CB Josh Thomas, TE James Hanna, OLB Kyle Wilber, CB Morris Claiborne, T Charles Brown, RB Lance Dunbar

Signed: DT Cedric Thornton, DE Benson Mayowa, RB Alfred Morris

Lost/cut: G Mackenzy Bernadeau, QB Matt Cassel, RB Robert Turbin

The Cowboys are again banking on Tony Romo staying healthy enough to lift a roster that didn't get much help during this free agency period. Salary-cap room did not stand between the Cowboys and the market this offseason as much as it has in the past, but the manner in which Dallas has created that room -- by pushing obligations into the future -- makes their situation more tenuous than most.

"It feels like they've been in same spot each of the past two years," Yates said.

The Cowboys re-signed some of their role players and headed toward the draft without a clearer picture of their quarterback situation beyond Romo. They added Morris to their offensive backfield on a team-friendly deal. There was no sizzle to this signing period, as Dominik put it, but that doesn't necessarily equate to a failing grade, either.

"I don't mind them losing Turbin, Bernadeau and Cassel," Riddick said. "They do need to draft a quarterback, no matter what Jerry Jones says. Cedric Thornton is a solid signing. He could use being around Rod Marinelli."

New York Jets

Franchised: DE Muhammad Wilkerson (unsigned)

Re-signed: TE Zach Sudfeld, RB Bilal Powell, WR Kenbrell Thompkins, TE Kellen Davis, LB Erin Henderson

Signed: RB Matt Forte, DE Jarvis Jenkins, RB Khiry Robinson, NT Steve McLendon

Lost/cut: LB Demario Davis, DT Damon Harrison, RB Chris Ivory, CB Antonio Cromartie, WR Jeremy Kerley, TE Jeff Cumberland

This grade is going to swing one way or the other based on how the Jets resolve their quarterback situation. Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick would stabilize the grade or push it higher. Losing Fitzpatrick over a couple million bucks would send the grade south.

"They are sending a message to the locker room that if we can take advantage of you, we will," Dominik said. "They should be saying they want their leader back and he needs to be there. I like them keeping Mo Wilkerson, but other than that, this is all about the quarterback. I've seen players take less money to prove a point. Fitz is smart. If they come to $12-13 million and Denver offers $11 million, he might take [the Broncos' deal]. That would be perfect for Denver."

Riddick liked the Jets adding Forte. He pointed to Jenkins as a scheme-specific signing. He thought the Jets were smart for declining to pay Harrison at the top of the market for nose tackles. Polian was especially high on adding McLendon as a budget alternative to Harrison.

"I might be overrating McLendon, but I like him a lot," Polian said. "I loved how the Jets lost 'Snacks' Harrison and replaced him with a guy who is a great run stuffer, a big rough guy who can stand in there and [plug the] two-gap."

San Francisco 49ers

Extended: DE Quinton Dial

Re-signed: TE Garrett Celek, RB Shaun Draughn, OLB Ray-Ray Armstrong, DT Ian Williams, K Phil Dawson

Signed: QB Thad Lewis, G Zane Beadles

Lost/cut: G Alex Boone, TE Brian Leonhardt

Adding Beadles after losing Boone pretty much summed up the 49ers' activity during free agency to this point. If there's an urgency in San Francisco, the 49ers are hiding it well. They are operating as though GM Trent Baalke has plenty of time to continue rebuilding the roster. That might be the case.

"I think this is what they should be doing," Yates said. "Who should they have paid multiple millions of dollars for? The Zane Beadles deal, if that is your big spending, I am OK with it. I know the NFL struggles with patience. At the same time, I like the idea of being patient here. There are players who got deals that San Francisco could have afforded. We can again invoke the John Wooden line about not confusing activity with achievement. They have to nail the next couple drafts."

The Colin Kaepernick situation remains unresolved, although Dominik said he faults the player side of that equation. He thought Kaepernick would have been much better off reporting to the offseason program, passing a physical, meeting with the new coaching staff, sitting down with Baalke and then declaring in mid-April whether he wanted out.

"They misplayed it and didn't realize no one was excited about trading for him coming off three surgeries with that contract and questions about his presence in the locker room," Dominik said.

Denver Broncos
Grade: C-minus

Franchise player: OLB Von Miller (unsigned)

Re-signed: RB C.J. Anderson, WR Jordan Norwood

Signed: T Donald Stephenson, LT Russell Okung

Acquired/traded: QB Mark Sanchez from Philadelphia for a conditional 2017 seventh-round pick

Lost/cut: G Louis Vasquez, TE Owen Daniels, LS Aaron Brewer, DL Malik Jackson, LB Danny Trevathan, QB Brock Osweiler, S David Bruton, T Ryan Harris, G Evan Mathis, QB Peyton Manning (retired)

The Broncos knew they would be using the franchise tag for Miller. They knew there was a chance they could lose Osweiler. They figured Jackson would bolt for an astronomical contract and Travathan would also find riches elsewhere. They knew another team could sign Anderson to an offer sheet. But did they figure all of these things would happen?

"They knew they would lose guys when they did the deal with Derek Wolfe," Dominik said. "Still, it is hard for me to imagine if they could do it all over again, they would do things exactly the same way. They could have gotten Von Miller done and at least used the transition tag for Osweiler."

Polian stressed that the NFL system is set up to work against the best teams. The Broncos were able to add a couple talented offensive tackles while keeping their top running back. That could help them compete the way coach Gary Kubiak wants them to compete, as a team that runs the ball first and plays good enough defense to win without consistently great quarterback play.

"The system is designed for them to lose the Trevathans of the world," Polian said. "They probably would rather have had Osweiler, but in the end, that was going to be difficult under the best of circumstances. On Anderson, I don't know what their cash-flow situation was at the time, but that often factors into things. They are in an absolute no-win situation. The fact that they kept the running back was a plus for them."

Yates raised potential leadership concerns after Denver lost two of its three season-long captains in Bruton and Peyton Manning. Riddick wondered how Anderson would respond to having money in his pocket. The Broncos previously kept pressure on Anderson by featuring other backs, including Ronnie Hillman last season.

"There is still no answer at quarterback," Riddick said. "So far, this is a C-minus offseason. The quarterback thing could change the dynamic of it all. If it wasn't for the fact that it is John Elway and he's done a great job blending free agency and the draft, you'd probably hit them harder."

New Orleans Saints
Grade: D-plus

Re-signed: FB Austin Johnson, CB Kyle Wilson, G Senio Kelemete, TE Michael Hoomanawanui, K Kai Forbath, RB Travaris Cadet, QB Luke McCown, S Jamarca Sanford, TE Josh Hill

Signed: TE Coby Fleener, LB Nathan Stupar, LB James Laurinaitis, LB Craig Robertson, DT Nick Fairley, K Josh Scobee

Lost/cut: S Rafael Bush, TE Benjamin Watson, G Jahri Evans, LB David Hawthorne, LB Ramon Humber, WR Seantavius Jones, WR Marques Colston, CB Brandon Browner, RB Khiry Robinson

The Saints need to upgrade their defense, but their big-ticket purchase was for a receiving tight end in Fleener. Coach Sean Payton said the team simply wanted to add another quality player, which was fine, but the Saints remain a flawed team with burdensome salary-cap limitations.

"I do not have a lot of confidence in anything these guys do," Riddick said. "Coby will be Jimmy Graham lite, but beyond that, what did they do?"

Dominik said some of the Saints' moves could become addition by subtraction depending upon how New Orleans fills holes in the draft.

"They are constantly redoing deals and Brees could be the one they redo to create a ton of space," Yates said. "If the Saints were to spend big for something this offseason, I never would have guessed it would have been on Coby Fleener. It feels like the Saints are going about this one year at a time from a cap standpoint. They have also lost veteran leadership."

Miami Dolphins
Grade: D

Re-signed: LB James-Michael Johnson, OL Jacques McClendon, QB Matt Moore

Signed: DE Mario Williams, S Isa Abdul-Quddus, T Sam Young, T Jermon Bushrod, DE Andre Branch, WR Griff Whalen, OL Kraig Urbik

Acquired/traded: CB Byron Maxwell, LB Kiko Alonso and the 13th pick in the 2016 draft from Philadelphia for the eighth pick in the 2016 draft

Lost/cut: DE Olivier Vernon, RB Lamar Miller, DE Derrick Shelby, WR Rishard Matthews, DE Quinton Coples, OL Jason Fox, WR Greg Jennings, CB Brice McCain, CB Brent Grimes

Vernon and Miller were young core players the Dolphins decided against re-signing. Instead, they added Williams, who seemed disinterested in Buffalo. They made a run at C.J. Anderson, only to have the Broncos match their offer sheet. And then they did the Eagles a big favor by agreeing to take Maxwell and Alonso. This didn't seem like a coherent way to build a team.

"I do not like trading out of the top 10 of the draft for those players," Dominik said. "They let a young running back out the door. They lost Vernon. The one thing they are trying to do is get bigger. I get there is a semblance of, 'Hey, this is who we want to be,' but this was not fundamentally sound. You cannot keep them all, but you can keep the young ones. Sometimes, when 70,000 people think you are wrong, you might be wrong."

Riddick said he was shocked the Eagles could get Miami to go along with the trade involving Maxwell and Alonso. Polian called the team's handling of Vernon surprising. Yates labeled the Dolphins' offseason confusing. He thought adding Maxwell felt like a luxury move, the type of play a team makes when it is a player away from contending.

"I don't look at the players added and say there is a significant upgrade at a spot," Yates said.

Cleveland Browns
Grade: F-plus

Re-signed: RB Raheem Mostert, LB Tank Carder, DE Jamie Meder, WR Terrelle Pryor, S Don Jones, OL Austin Pasztor

Signed: OL Alvin Bailey, LB Justin Tuggle, ILB Demario Davis, S Rahim Moore, QB Robert Griffin III

Lost/cut: C Alex Mack, OL Mitchell Schwartz, WR Travis Benjamin, S Tashaun Gipson, DB Johnson Bademosi, DT Randy Starks, TE Jim Dray, QB Johnny Manziel, LB Karlos Dansby, WR Dwayne Bowe, LB Craig Robertson

Adding Griffin on a two-year contract could not make up for the talent drain Cleveland facilitated for the second straight offseason. The Browns already had holes throughout their roster. Now, there are more holes. The players the Browns let go weren't good enough by themselves to make Cleveland relevant, but in some cases their departures make the team that much further away from competing.

"This looks to me like a baseball tear-down," Polian said. "I'm saying it because [Paul] DePodesta is there. That is the only thing that explains it. The problem is, in baseball, you own the player for six years. In the NFL, essentially you own the player for three years. The math doesn't work. They have lost eight starters who should be the core of their team to free agency in two years. What is that about? You are going to have to be almost 100 percent hit rate in the draft to get it back where it was, which wasn't good enough."

Adding more picks is the best way to increase a team's odds for success in the draft. The Browns will add compensatory selections next offseason. Griffin's addition suggests they could be interested in moving back from the second overall spot in the draft instead of selecting a quarterback in that slot. A move along those lines would arm the Browns with even more picks.

"Losing Alex Mack and Mitch Schwartz, a favorite of mine, and Travis Benjamin when you have nobody at the wide receiver position -- damn," Riddick said. "Bademosi was a wrecker on special teams, too. You'd better hit on all your draft picks. They should have signed Schwartz and kept Benjamin. I cannot give them the benefit of the doubt like I would Carolina."

Adding Griffin made sense in some respects, but the money Cleveland committed to him was puzzling.

"Who did the Browns think they were bidding against to justify paying him $6.75 million in 2016?" Riddick asked. "With this contract, is he considered a bridge quarterback to the future drafted franchise QB, or are they now out of the QB market? Griffin impressing Browns brass in a private workout is one of the more ridiculous reasons I could imagine for signing a player. I mean, we try to downplay rookie draft prospect pro days, but now we are glorifying a private workout by a veteran QB?"

Yates was less pointed in his criticism. Who else at this point were the Browns going to pay? And if they were going to overpay, why not do so with at least a shot at finding a long-term quarterback?

"There's going to be a temptation to evaluate this move through the lens of, 'Does Robert Griffin III solve the Browns' omnipresent quarterback quandary?'" Yates said. "The truth is, even if he doesn't become the long-term starter, one can understand why Cleveland threw the dart on signing him. A coach doesn't acquire a player who has recently struggled and say to himself, 'There's more where that came from.' A coach needs to believe in his ability to tutor players, something I'm sure Hue Jackson feels here. The team is flush with cap space, so while this isn't entirely a low-risk maneuver from a financial standpoint, it's a calculated move to upgrade a position of need. It would be no surprise if Cleveland still used the second overall pick in the draft on a quarterback."
Back to top Go down

ESPN Insider article: Free-agency grades for all 32 teams -- March 30, 2016

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1