HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles) Empty
PostSubject: ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles)   ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles) EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 4:21 pm

espn insider articles

espn insider costs money, but.... fuck that. full articles below, full access.

[Connect with Facebook]
Welcome, Tyson |  Sign Out

NBA basketball.

JaVale McGee chooses the ...
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
11:01
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN Insider

Comments
   Email
   Print

Various media reports linked the Golden State Warriors, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Toronto Raptors and Houston Rockets with having interest in free agent center JaVale McGee since they could use more depth for the run in the 2015 playoffs. Well, McGee has decided to play in green.

According to ESPN's Jeff Goodman, McGee will sign with the Boston Celtics and the deal runs through next season. At his time, the Celtics won't make the playoffs.

The Celtics currently have a full 15-man roster, so someone like Shavlik Randolph or Luigi Datome will likely be waived to make room for McGee.

The Celtics can offer McGee more than a veteran minimum contract today ($283,052) as there is still some money, about $1.3 million, remaining from the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception and Bi-Annual Exception ($1.4 million).

McGee will join Kelly Olynyk and Tyler Zeller on the Celtics center depth chart going into next season.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, JaVale McGee
Updating Dwight Howard's status
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
9:01
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Houston Rockets have been without starting center Dwight Howard since Jan. 30 due to the edema of the right knee. Howard is making solid progress with his rehab program and his recovery is “on schedule,” a teams source tells the Houston Chronicle.

“He’s coming along,” head coach Kevin McHale said. “I saw him on the treadmill which is a good sign, but I haven’t seen him on the floor. Until you see him on the floor, who knows.”

As of Wednesday, McHale remains unsure how much more time Howard needs, between rehab and practices, until he will be cleared to rejoin the active roster.

“I’ve seen great players take two months off and come back and it takes them a while,” McHale said. “It’s just the pace of the game and the NBA grind. The game, the size, the speed, when you’re away from it and you’re out there, it just takes a little time."

Until Howard returns, McHale will continue to start Donatas Motiejunas at center.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Houston Rockets, Dwight Howard
Jrue Holiday's uncertain return
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
8:41
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The New Orleans Pelicans have been without starting point guard Jrue Holiday since Jan. 14 due to a right lower leg stress reaction. He is just now getting around without a walking boot and he plans to be careful so the leg won't suffer another setback.

“This is just about decreasing the pain and swelling,” Holiday tells The Advocate. “There’s still some in there. It’s about taking your time and making sure it’s all gone.”

When asked, head coach Monty Williams said he doesn't know when Holiday will meet with his doctor. Best guess, it comes within the next 7-10 days.

“Nothing has changed outside of him getting out of his boot,” Williams said. “He’ll probably take a flight out to see his doctor in L.A. Just for some more mental confidence for him, but nothing has changed."

Until Holiday returns, which may not be until next season, Williams will continue to start Tyreke Evans at point guard.

Holiday is signed through 2016-17 and he has $21.88 million remaining on his contract after this season.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, New Orleans Pelicans, Jrue Hoiday
Will Brooks choose Kanter or Adams?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
8:14
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Oklahoma City Thunder gave center Steven Adams a three to six week timeline to return to the active roster after suffering the fourth metacarpal fracture to his right hand on Feb. 8. Adams is currently in that window and he could return to the lineup soon. So, will head coach Scott Brooks give Adams his starting position back or stick with Enes Kanter as the first team center?

“I look at it (as) we have two good centers. I know they both are going to play quality minutes,” Brooks tells The Oklahoman. “They both are going to have big impacts for us going forward. You’re going to have to obviously start one of them. We’ll see.”

“I have an idea,” Brooks responded when asked to clarify his answer. “We’re not really focused on that yet. Steven’s not back yet. We’re not sure if he’s going to be back (Thursday against Chicago). But he’s trending in that direction. He had a pretty good practice (Tuesday) and a pretty good shootaround (Wednesday). But that’s something that’s down the road.”

Kanter has played really well since he was acquired two weeks ago, which likely means he will remain the starter as long as his production remains high. Since joining the Thunder, Kanter is averaging 14.5 points, 9.3 rebounds and 0.2 blocks.

Prior to the injury, Adams was averaging 7.4 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.2 blocks. He also had a PER rating of 13.73.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Enes Kanter, Oklahoma City Thunder, Steven Adams
Kris Humphries' strained groin
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
7:52
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Washington Wizards have been without backup power forward Kris Humphries for the last three games due to his strained left groin. The Wizards don't know when he might be able to rejoin the active roster since he's still can't move latterly without having pain, reports CSN Washington

"We have a (workout) day tomorrow," coach Randy Wittman said on Wednesday. That session will allow the training staff to evaluate Humphries' movement.

Until Humphries is cleared to return, Wittman will continue to give the backup minutes to Drew Gooden.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Washington Wizards, Kris Humphries
Devyn Marble's season-ending injury
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
7:38
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Devyn Marble has been dealing with blurry vision for several weeks and after having his left eye checked out it was determined the rookie has a detached retina. Surgery is needed to repair the eye and the Orlando Magic have given Marble a four to six week timeline to recover, which effectively ends his first NBA regular season.

"It might be even more," Marble told the Orlando Sentinel regarding how long he's had a problem with the eye. "I remember that stretch I was playing a lot. It was happening then, and then it kind of got worse."

Marble's next game action will come once summer league tips off in July if he doesn't have any complications after the surgery.

"I know God will take care of me," Marble said. "So I'll be all right."

Here is Marble's stat line for his rookie season: 2.3 points (31.8 percent from the floor; 1.9 rebounds; and 1.1 assists. His contract runs through 2016-17, although the next two years currently offer no salary protection.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Orlando Magic, Devyn Marble
Will Warriors pursue JaVale McGee?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
7:24
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

On Tuesday, ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported the Golden State Warriors had "major interest" in new free agent JaVale McGee. On Wednesday, Warriors general manager Bob Myers was asked about his interest in adding McGee to the team.

"We haven't made a determination one way or another whether we'd do anything with that," Myers told 95.7 The Game, according to The Oakland Tribune.

McGee is a hot commodity now that he is a free agent and reports have the following teams having interest in adding the center: Warriors, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Toronto Raptors and Houston Rockets.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Golden State Warriors, JaVale McGee
Kemba Walker back soon?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
4:16
PM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

UPDATE: According to the Hornets, Walker has been cleared for all basketball-related activities, so the next step in his rehab is to begin practicing without any restrictions.

--------------------

The Charlotte Hornets have been without point guard Kemba Walker for the last 14 games as he recovers from left knee surgery and today they should have an idea when he might be able to rejoin the active roster.

According to the Gaston Gazette, Walker is set to visit with his doctor on Wednesday. Once that is done a timetable for his return might be announced by the team.

Until Walker returns, head coach Steve Clifford will continue to start Mo Williams at point guard. Clifford wants to make sure each player gets plenty of minutes to close out the regular season, so the plan is to play both of them together at times during games.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets
What's next for Ray Allen?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
3:07
PM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Free agent shooting guard Ray Allen was still drawing interest from a bunch of teams, but on Wednesday he announced though his agent that he won't attempt to play this season and will consider his options for 2015-16.

“Over the past several months, I have taken a lot of time to deliberate what is best for me,” Allen said. “I’ve ultimately decided that I will not play this NBA season. I’m going to take the remainder of this season, as well as the upcoming off-season, to reassess my situation, spend time with my family and determine if I will play in the 2015-16 season.”

The Cleveland Cavaliers were thought to be the frontrunner for Allen early in the season, but they don't need a shooting guard and were probably unwilling to offer him a deal. That lack of interest may have been a factor in Allen's decision to not sign with a team and focus on next season.

According to various reports over the past six months, the following teams had interest in Allen if he decided to play this season: Miami Heat, Washington Wizards, Chicago Bulls, San Antonio Spurs, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers and the Atlanta Hawks.
Could JaVale McGee's land in Toronto?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
1:00
PM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

UPDATE: According to ESPN.com's Marc Stein, Toronto could be a team interested in adding JaVale McGee to their roster.

Stein writes: "Hearing you can add Toronto to the list of teams weighing whether to make a play for JaVale McGee, who clears waivers today at 5 PM ... McGee's big contract with Nuggets, of course, was awarded by Raps GM Masai Ujiri, who had strong relationship with the 7-footer in Denver."

The Raptors are currently $732,477 under the luxury tax line, so they could offer more than the pro-rated minimum to McGee and stay below it.

--------------------

Center JaVale McGee is now a free agent after the Philadelphia 76ers placed him on waivers Sunday night. McGee was released by 11:59 PM EST, which means once he clears waivers he can sign with a new team and be eligible to play in the 2015 post-season.

When center Kendrick Perkins gained his freedom from the Utah Jazz there were plenty of teams calling his agent and the same will be true for McGee. Those teams will likely include the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.

Regarding McGee's former team, the Washington Wizards, feel free to not include them on the list. "1st person to ask, 'Are the Wizards interested in JaVale McGee?' gets blocked & ignored 4ever & ever. Amen," wrote J. Michael of CSN Washington on Monday morning.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Philadelphia 76ers, JaVale McGee
Where's Danny Granger?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
10:59
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Phoenix Suns acquired small forward Danny Granger on Feb. 19 as part of the three-team trade with the Miami Heat and New Orleans Pelicans. It has been almost two weeks since the deal and Granger has yet to report to the Suns.

According to The Arizona Republic, the Suns have reached out to Granger and hope he will join the team in the coming days since a buyout is not coming with the passing of the Mar. 1 deadline to remain eligible for the playoffs.

Granger owns a player option worth $2.17 million for 2015-16 and he will probably decline it so he can hook up with a team in the summer that is a 2016 playoff contender. Should Granger fail to report soon, the Suns have the right to place him on the suspended list, which means he won't be paid until he comes to Phoenix.

The Suns have a plethora of wing players on the roster and Granger may feel there is no need to report as he won't play that much during the final six weeks of the regular season.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Phoenix Suns, Danny Granger
Jonas Jerebko's future with Celtics
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
9:53
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Forward Jonas Jerebko has played well for the Boston Celtics since they acquired him as part of a trade with the Detroit Pistons and if the production continues the team will probably offer him a new contract in July.

“Jerebko’s somebody that we’ve tried to get before,” president of basketball operations Danny Ainge tells the Boston Herald. “We like shooting bigs. I love guys that know how to play and can shoot 3’s and have length. As a spacer at the 4 position, I’ve always liked him. And that’s what he does well is spread the floor. He can shoot the 3 and he can attack close-outs. He just knows how to play.”

Jerebko is averaging 8.8 points (53.3 percent from the floor), 4.6 rebounds and 1.4 assists since he joined the Celtics. With the Pistons, he averaged 5.2 points, 3.1 rebounds and 0.9 assists.

Jerebko is making $4.5 million this season and the Celtics annual offer could be around that amount.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Jonas Jerebko
Updating Kevin Durant's status
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
9:02
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Kevin Durant has now missed six games after having a procedure to stop the pain in his right foot as it heals from a previous surgery. His rehab is going well and the team should no more next week.

"He's definitely trending in the direction we all like to eventually get on the court," head coach Scott Brooks told ESPN.com's Royce Young. "He's doing some very light shooting. He's done some treadmill work. But like I said, we will re-evaluate him in a week or so."

This timetable means Durant could miss at least five more games before getting clearance to rejoin the active roster. Until Durant returns, Brooks will probably continue to start Kyle Singler at small forward.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Oklahoma City Thunder, Kevin Durant
Why Hawks signed Jarell Eddie
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
8:29
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Atlanta Hawks have had an open roster spot for a while and they are finally going to fill it on Thursday by signing small forward Jarell Eddie to a 10-day contract, reports Shams Charania of RealGM.com.

Eddie attended training camp with the Hawks, but didn't last that long as he was waived on Oct. 21 after making three appearances. Eddie has been playing in the D-League this season with the Austin Spurs and he is averaging 12.1 points, 3.4 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 36 games.

The Hawks were likely swayed to take a look at Eddie as he is making 42.2 percent of his three-point shots with Austin. Eddie showed off his long-range skills to NBA scouts last month as he won the D-League Three-Point contest during All-Star Weekend.

The Hawks will probably keep Eddie through two 10-day contracts and then decided at that point if they want to offer him a rest-of-season deal.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Atlanta Hawks, Jarell Eddie
Will Neal re-sign with Wolves?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
8:09
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Minnesota Timberwolves president of basketball operations/head coach Flip Saunders said he had no plans to waive Gary Neal, via buyout, so he could join a playoff team and that is exactly what happened. Despite Neal being a free agent this summer, Saunders still feels the guard could re-sign with the team.

“We traded for him and everybody — all the experts — thought we were going to buy him out,” Saunders told the Star Tribune. “And I said we weren’t. We traded for him. We thought he was a good player and we thought he might have a future. We thought we’d bring him in, let him play with our guys and see how he would blend in.”

So, how does Neal feel about not getting that buyout?

“I’m a basketball player and Flip has given me an opportunity to come in here and play,” said Neal. “I don’t have any complaints. The way the team is set up, with K-Mart being out tonight, your role can change from day to day. All you ask for is an opportunity to come in and play, and Flip has been fair with me on that.”

Should Neal get an offer from an expected 2016 playoff contender in the summer, he will move on, but if nothing comes his way he may consider re-signing with the Wolves.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Minnesota Timberwolves
Lakers need for a 16th man
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Los Angeles Lakers lost backup point guard Ronnie Price last week for the rest of this season due to the surgery to remove a bone spur in his right elbow.

The team has already lost Kobe Bryant (right rotator cuff surgery), Steve Nash (back pain) and rookie Julius Randle (tibia fracture, right leg) to season-ending injuries and with Price going down, the Lakers will petition the NBA for permission to sign a player. Price needed to miss a few games before the Lakers could ask for roster relief and now that we have hit that threshold, the request has gone to the league office, reports the Los Angeles Times.

The Lakers could use some help in the bacckourt, so they will probably offer a 10-day contract to a guard playing in the D-League once they get the go-ahead to add another player.

The Lakers have been decimated by injuries this season and according to Mike Trudell of Lakers.com, there will be over 300 games lost this season.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Los Angeles Lakers, Ronnie Price
Pelicans next roster moves
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
7:28
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The New Orleans Pelicans made a roster move on Tuesday and another should follow on Wednesday, according to The Times-Picayune.

The Pelicans waived forward-center Justin Hamilton after being with the club less than two weeks. Hamilton was acquired on Feb. 19 as part of the three-team trade with the Miami Heat and Phoenix Suns. Hamilton may get claimed by another team as he goes though the waiver process or signed once he becomes a free agent on Thursday.

The roster is now down to 13, but it will go back to 14 on Wednesday as the team is expected to sign Elliot Williams to a 10-day contract, reports John Reid. Williams, a four-year NBA veteran, spent some time with the Utah Jazz and Charlotte Hornets earlier this season via 10-day contracts. He will provide the Pelicans some depth in the backcourt.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Elliot Williams, New Orleans Pelicans, Justin Hamilton
Possible replacements for Shaw
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
3:00
PM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Brian Shaw was thought to be safe from the head coach hot seat, a place he had been for several months, with just six weeks remaining on the NBA regular season schedule, but that is not the case as he was was fired on Tuesday morning. Melvin Hunt will coach the team for the duration season while management compiles a list of candidates for the job. The team may go for a person with prior NBA head coach experience or a current top assistant on another team who is looking for their shot to runs a club.

“This season our management staff has remained patient and supportive as decisions of this nature are never taken lightly," said general manager Tim Connelly. "Patience is encouraged, as long as the organization continues to show progress toward a greater goal. However, competing for championships is our goal, and therefore we decided to make this decision now and look forward to conducting an extensive head coaching search upon the season's conclusion."

Should Connelly go with experience, he may target Scott Skiles (former head coach of the Phoenix Suns, Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks), Michael Malone (former head coach of the Sacramento Kings), Mark Jackson (former head coach of the Golden State Warriors), Vinny Del Negro (former head coach of the Bulls and Los Angeles Clippers), Nate McMillan (current Indiana Pacers lead assistant coach) or Alvin Gentry (current Golden State assistant coach).

According to ESPN.com's Marc Stein, "former Nuggets head coach Mike D'Antoni and former Nuggets guard Avery Johnson" could be candidates, too.

Regarding top assistant coaches around the NBA who might get a call after the season, that list may include Tyronn Lue (Cleveland), David Fizdale (Miami), Bryan Gates (New Orleans), Nick Nurse (Toronto) and Monte Mathis (Dallas).

The Nuggets are going to be a rebuilding team next season in the deep Western Conference as many of the current players will probably be shopped in the offseason. Therefore, whoever is named the next head coach should have a massive task ahead.

Kevin Pelton
Picking up the pieces

"The decision on Shaw's long-term replacement will turn in large part on Denver's overall direction. ... Factoring in a coming top-10 pick, the Nuggets can expect to have slightly more than the mid-level exception in cap space to go with 10 players under contract. The problem is that even with a new coach and a rookie who's productive immediately, as Nurkic has been this season, it's tough to see Denver contending for a playoff spot in the Western Conference. That's why the Nuggets probably ought to be thinking more about the long term as they build their roster and choose a new coach. Denver also must look for a coach with a track record of playing up-tempo basketball. Because of their unique geography playing at altitude, the Nuggets have historically been most successful at a fast pace. Since the ABA-NBA merger, every Denver team that has won at least 50 games has ranked in the league's top five in pace. (This year's Nuggets had been fifth.) So Mike Fratello need not apply. Shaw's replacement won't have an easy job. Denver's path back to the playoffs in the near future is difficult to see. But as long as the Nuggets play hard on a nightly basis, they'll have taken a step forward by changing coaches."

Tags:

Denver Nuggets
Mavs roster set for the season?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
1:47
PM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The second 10-day contract signed by backup center Bernard James expired on Monday, so on Tuesday the Dallas Mavericks had to let him go or offer a rest-of-season deal. The Mavs decided to Keep James for the duration of the 2014-15 season.

James has played in five games since returning to the Mavs and he is averaging 4.4 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.8 blocks. James will earn a total of $344,562 for spending the final 64 days of the season with the Mavs.

Dallas now has full 15-man roster with no 10-day contracts and this will likely be the group that plays out this season.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Bernard James
Bulls opens roster spot
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
10:29
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Chicago Bulls are going to be without Derrick Rose (knee) and Jimmy Butler (elbow) for several weeks and Taj Gibson (ankle) for an undetermined amount of time, so the team may look at filling the open 15th roster spot.

From Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times: "Bulls kicking the tires on JaVale McGee? We can only pray for that. As far as Nate Robinson, all quiet on that front as of last night."

Ronnie Brewer's name has also been mentioned as a possibility, but that is just speculation.

With the trio sidelined, Tom Thibodeau will start Aaron Brooks at point guard, Tony Snell at shooting guard or small forward, while Nikola Mirotic will get more minutes as the backup power forward. There is a chance rookie Doug McDermott and E'Twaun Moore may get some run, too.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA
Mirza Teletovic's future with Nets
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
10:06
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The 2014-15 NBA season ended early for forward Mirza Teletovic due to multiple blood clots in his lungs and when discussing his future, he said re-signing with the Brooklyn Nets is his preference, according to ESPNNewYork.com.

“They were my first choice coming to the NBA,” Teletovic said. “I love the team, have a lot of respect for people who work for the Nets and the organization. ... I really enjoyed it, so I hope I stay."

Teletovic will be a restricted free agent come July 1 if he's tendered a qualifying offer by June 30. Teletovic produced enough during this season to show he can play in the NBA and he should re-sign with the Nets in the summer after he has fully recovered from the blood clots.

Teletovic, making $3.36 million for the 2014-15 season, averaged 8.5 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 40 appearances.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Mirza Teletovic
Darren Collison's core muscle surgery
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
9:39
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Last week it was reported that Sacramento Kings starting point guard Darren Collison was headed for surgery to repair a "core muscle injury" and that procedure will be done on Tuesday, reports CSN Bay Area.

According to Bill Herenda, the Kings will evaluate Collison in three to six weeks. With six weeks remaining in the 2014-15 regular season schedule, Collison likely won't play again until the 2015 pre-season in the fall.

With Collison unavailable, head coach George Karl will continue to start Ray McCallum at point guard, with Andre Miller as the backup.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Sacramento Kings, Darren Collison
Blake Griffin's next game
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
9:10
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The Los Angeles Clippers have been without starting power forward Blake Griffin since Feb. 8 due to the right elbow surgery to stop the staph infection. On Monday, head coach Doc Rivers gave the media an update on Griffin's status has his return to the lineup is getting closer.

"I know he's running and sweating and going full-tilt now," Rivers told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "That's good. I'm not sure what that means, not being there, but I know he's working, and that's all you can hope for. It's a good sign."

While there is a chance Griffin might come back in time for Sunday's game against Golden State, a Clippers source told Arash Markazi that would be "wildly optimistic" since he has yet to begin shooting the ball.

Until Griffin returns, Rivers will continue to start Spencer Hawes at power forward.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Blake Griffin, Los Angele Clippers
Davis' rehab a mystery to Williams
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
8:45
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Anthony Davis has missed the last five games due to the right shoulder sprain and his rehab is going well, although head coach Monty Williams isn't sure what he's doing with the training staff, according to The Advocate.

“I really don’t know,” Williams said. “It’s funny you asked that. I don’t know. I know he’s strengthening his shoulder and a lot of ice and (electrical stimulation). Some of those machines he has on his ... I don’t know. I’m just a country boy. I know he’s working around the clock, but all the stuff he does, I couldn’t tell you. I just see him with a machine on his arm, a lot of ice.”

Davis' return should come soon, according to Michael Pellissier of Bourbon Street Shots, and when he is cleared to play Williams will move Dante Cunningham back to the bench. Cunningham has been starting at power forward with Davis out of the lineup.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans
Clifford's plan for Walker, Williams
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
8:11
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Head coach Steve Clifford is currently starting Mo Williams at point guard with Kemba Walker sidelined due to left knee surgery. Walker is expected to return from the injury in a couple of weeks and at that time Clifford will have to find time for both players. According to Clifford, he already has a game plan to properly utilize his point guards.

“We’re going to play them together,” Clifford told The Charlotte Observer on Monday. “We need to get (Walker) back as soon as we can, and then we’ll make an adjustment on the fly to play those guys together.”

Williams has been solid since the Hornets acquired him via trade as he is averaging 23.4 points (46.2 percent from the floor, including 42.2 percent from behind the three-point line), 7.0 assists and 3.2 rebounds in five games.

When asked, Williams says playing with another point guard is fine with him.

“I’ve played that way in my career and had a lot of success with it, whether it be me and Chris Paul in L.A. or Eric Bledsoe,” Williams said. “And in my younger days with T.J. Ford."
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Mo Williams, Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets
Kings 15th roster spot
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
7:55
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

The 10-day contract signed by guard David Stockton expired on Sunday and the Kings have decided not to extend him another deal, according to James Ham of Cowbell Kingdom.

During his 10 days with the Kings, Stockton played in just one game for seven minutes and scored one point. Stockton will likely return to the Kings D-League team, the Reno Bighorns.

The Kings now have an open roster spot and they will probably look at other options via 10-day contracts for the final six weeks of the 2014-15 regular season.
Tags:

Fantasy Basketball, Fantasy NBA, Sacramento Kings, David Stockton
Heat extend Henry Walker's stay
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
7:51
AM ET

Comments
   Email
   Print

Last edited by Huh on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles)   ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles) EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 4:22 pm

NFL football.

March 5, 2015

-

Will Michael Crabtree re-sign with 49ers?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
4:05
PM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider

Comments
Email
Print

Michael Crabtree's six-year tenure with the San Francisco 49ers may come to an end this offseason. During that span, he managed just one 1,000-yard campaign (2012) and posted a career-worst 10.3 yards-per-catch average last season, so he may find limited interest on the free-agent market.

However, it appears the Niners may still bring him back.

"The 49ers are interested in re-signing Crabtree, a source told CSNBayArea.com," wrote Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. "But it remains to be seen how much interest Crabtree will receive on the open market when he is allowed to begin negotiating with other teams on March 7.

"One AFC executive at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis two weeks ago told CSNBayArea.com that his team has Crabtree rated in the $4 million-to-$5 million annual range. He admitted that other teams might have Crabtree valued higher."

While the door may remain open to Crabtree returning to San Francisco, ESPN 49ers reporter Paul Gutierrez predicts that the veteran wideout will be on a new team in 2015:

Paul Gutierrez
Free-agency guide: 49ers

"He already has removed 49ers references from his Twitter bio and is coming off a career-worst season. Niners general manager Trent Baalke referenced the need for speed at receiver at the NFL combine and the wideouts put on a show in Indianapolis. With the No. 15 overall pick, the Niners could find Crabtree's replacement in the draft."

Tags:

Insider NFL, NFL, Fantasy NFL
Is Colts-Suh pairing unlikely?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
3:25
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Unless the Detroit Lions lock up Ndamukong Suh to a new contract before Tuesday, he will be eligible to sign with any team as a free agent. About the only basic requirement for a team to pull it off will be having enough cap space to sign him to a mega-deal. We can count the Indianapolis Colts amongst those teams, since they have more than $67 million in projected cap space.

Will they make a successful run at him?

"[B]ased on what I've seen and heard as the Colts formulate their free agency strategy, I would not place too big a bet on Suh landing in Indianapolis," wrote Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star. "And, believe it or not, the reason is only loosely related to the huge financial commitment it would take.

"Suh is certainly intriguing to the Colts. But they aren't entirely sold on whether he's an ideal fit for their defense.

"After spending his entire NFL career in a 4-3 defense, playing the classic 'three-technique' defensive tackle position, joining a team like the Colts [3-4 defense] would entail a significant change in style for Suh. It's so significant that it's enough to give the Colts reason for pause."

Arguably, though, Suh wouldn't have a problem making such a switch.

"He can fit any scheme. You can use him like J.J. Watt as a 3-4 attacking defensive end or certainly as a tackle in the 4-3," said ESPN NFL Insider Matt Williamson. "He's the type of player that anyone who runs any scheme would want."

In fact, Williamson considers the Colts, Oakland Raiders and Cleveland Browns as the best fits for Suh:

Matt Williamson
Best fits for big-name NFL FAs

"In order to land Suh, a team is going need to spend a lot of money. The Raiders, Browns and Colts all could use a player on defense to build around on the interior and a major upgrade on the defensive side of the ball, plus they have money to boot. Suh fits any scheme and can be used in a variety of ways. He's an every-down player, and although it has gotten him into trouble in the past, he brings an aggression like few others in the NFL. We know the Colts and Browns aren't afraid to make big splashes with signings or draft picks, and the Colts, being a contender, could be a very attractive landing spot for Suh. The Jaguars, Jets and Titans also have a ton of money to spend, but Suh has stated that he wants to go to a bigger market than Jacksonville, defensive line is the least of the Jets' roster concerns for New York and Tennessee could select USC D-lineman Leonard Williams with the second pick of the draft. Rarely does a player of Suh's value actually hit the open market and avoid the franchise tag. Any team in the league that can make Suh's new contract work under their cap should be in the market for him."

Tags:

How does Wilfork's exit impact Pats cap?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
2:17
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

On Thursday morning, Vince Wilfork announced via Twitter that the New England Patriots informed him Tuesday that they will not pick up his option for the 2015 campaign.

The team had until March 10 to act on the option, which would have paid him a base salary of $3 million, plus a $4 million roster bonus, and counted around $8.9 million against their cap.

How will his departure impact the Patriots salary cap for 2015?

"Because the Patriots are currently over the salary cap, and because they have a handful of potential free agents they'd be interested in keeping -- particularly corner Darrelle Revis and safety Devin McCourty -- that they will save about $7.5 million on their salary cap by releasing Wilfork is significant," wrote Phil Perry of CSNNE.com.

"With Wilfork's savings included, the Patriots are still over their adjusted salary cap number of $144,578,084 by about $4 million. However, that overage includes the $25 million cap number assigned to Revis for 2015 since he is still technically under contract."

The Patriots are not expected to activate that monster option on Revis, though time will tell whether they sign him to a long-term extension before he is able to test free agency. Regardless, by not activating those options, the Pats would put themselves under the cap line.

Just like Revis, it's possible that Wilfork will be enticed to re-sign with the Patriots at a reduced annual rate:

Mike Reiss
Rapid Reaction: Vince Wilfork's option not picked up by Patriots

"Wilfork didn't rule out the possibility of re-signing with the Patriots for 2015 in his tweet. We haven't heard from the Patriots if they would be open to Wilfork's return, but it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be if the sides could work out a new contract. At this point, Wilfork will have the freedom to test the market and see what he's worth, and it's our educated guess that the Patriots will keep an open dialogue with him and let him know the door remains open for his return depending on what unfolds on the market. Should Wilfork depart for good, fourth-year pro Sealver Siliga (6-2, 325) is the projected replacement."

Tags:

Will Bears trade, cut Brandon Marshall?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
12:52
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Because the Chicago Bears changed general managers and coaches, we could see some big roster changes this offseason. That could include wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who is slated to carry a salary-cap number of $9.58 million next season.

The Bears reportedly are listening to trade offers.

"One NFL source said the Bears are shopping Marshall with the idea of moving him. Another source said his belief is the team is taking calls in regard to Marshall," wrote Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. "Trades cannot be finalized until 3 p.m. [CT] Tuesday.

"... One source said the Bears potentially could move him for a mid-round pick. It’s unknown if the team would consider releasing Marshall instead of locking into the contract for the coming season."

The Bears have one week before Marshall's contract is fully secured for the 2015 campaign. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan thinks Marshall may well be cut:

Adam Caplan
Most likely NFL salary-cap cuts

"Marshall's statistics started to drop last season before he suffered rib and lung injuries. While he turns 31 next month, Marshall is still one of the NFL's best players at his position. Some of his declining numbers could be attributed to the lack of consistency at quarterback. His $7.5 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 12."

Tags:

Eagles in danger of losing Maclin, too?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
1:23
PM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN Insider

Comments
Email
Print

Word broke Tuesday that the Philadelphia Eagles were trading away one of their all-time great running backs, with LeSean McCoy slated to head to Buffalo, and now there is question as to whether the Eagles might also lose free agent receiver Jeremy Maclin.

Jeff McLane of The Philadelphia Inquirer tweeted Tuesday night of the team's negotiations with Maclin: "Deal was close for some time, not as close recently and he's getting nibbles. Eagles have to up ante w/ McCoy leak."

On Tuesday, Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News suggested Tuesday that Maclin could be a player the San Francisco 49ers consider, even if it means overpaying for him.

"If Maclin’s asking price is above $8M per… that might not be a number the 49ers can meet," Kawakami admitted, before adding, "But if (Trent) Baalke, Jed York and Paraag Marathe are in the mood to chase a free-agent WR and maybe over-pay for a rare time, I think Maclin is the kind of receiver they’d circle -- under 27, recently productive, and somebody who can run under Colin Kaepernick’s deep passes."

We'll keep you posted on any developments with Maclin in the days ahead.
Tags:

Raiders ready to make Cobb a huge offer?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
1:13
PM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN Insider

Comments
Email
Print

ESPN NFL Insider Matt Williamson recently wrote that the Green Bay Packers, Oakland Raiders and Cleveland Browns are the best landing spots for free agent receiver Randall Cobb, and a report on Wednesday suggests that the Raiders could be willing to make Cobb an offer he won't be able to refuse.

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Monday that Cobb is seeking a deal worth $12 million annually. Here's how he explained it:

"The Packers have exclusive bargaining rights with Cobb until March 7 when all free agents are allowed to speak with other teams during a three-day open window. No deals may be completed or signed during that time, but there's nothing keeping teams from making handshake deals.

"Free agency officially starts on March 10. If the Packers don't have Cobb signed then they will have to fight with the rest of the NFL for his services.

"The Packers may have set a ceiling of $10 million per year with Cobb since that is what veteran Jordy Nelson receives and they probably don't want to pay him more. Cobb appears to have a higher number than that. One source said the word going around at the NFL combine league personnel staff and executives was that his price was $12 million per year."

It remains to be seen if Cobb will get that kind of offer from any team, Packers or otherwise, but according to Bill Huber of PackerReport.com, the Raiders "are considering offering him a blockbuster deal." That deal, a league source tells Huber, is believed to be worth $11 million a year.

We'll continue to keep a close eye on this and let you know if and when more information becomes available.
Tags:

Where will UFA Randall Cobb land?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
3:10
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Green Bay Packers typically eschew their annual option of franchising a player, and this year was no different, as they chose to not tag wide receiver Randall Cobb by Monday's deadline. He will have the chance to test the free-agent market beginning next Tuesday, though the Packers have exclusive negotiating rights with Cobb that run until Saturday afternoon, at which point other teams can speak with him.

That approach worked last season with a different Packers free agent.

"A year ago, the Packers eschewed using the franchise tag on cornerback Sam Shields, and they signed him to a four-year, $39 million deal ($12.5 million signing bonus) after his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was able to start talking to other teams but before free agency officially began," wrote Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com. "Perhaps Cobb’s negotiations will follow the same course.

"Or, perhaps he’ll make it to the market, and a club flush with salary-cap room – such as Jacksonville ($68 million), Oakland ($55 million) or Indianapolis ($45 million) – will make him an offer he can’t refuse."

ESPN NFL Insider Matt Williamson thinks the Packers, Raiders and Cleveland Browns are the best landing spots for Cobb:

Matt Williamson
Best fits for big-name NFL FAs

"[T]here is no argument that he would be a massive upgrade for teams like the Raiders and Browns, both of which are devoid of wide receiver talent heading into free agency. The Chiefs are another team that could desperately use Cobb, but they are not listed here because of the financial quandary they are currently in. Cobb may never score 12 touchdowns in a season again outside of Green Bay, but he would be a huge addition to the teams listed above. The Packers would love to keep him, but have prepared for this day by using three draft picks last year on wide receivers, including second-rounder Davante Adams, who came on in the postseason. Cobb is an exceptional complementary piece in any offense, but not a true No. 1 wideout. His addition alone will not cure an ailing passing game. Jeremy Maclin or Torrey Smith may end up being a consolation prize for Oakland or Cleveland."

Tags:

What role will Broyles have in 2015?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
1:41
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Detroit Lions drafted Ryan Broyles in the second round of the 2012 draft, but injuries marred his first two seasons. Ironically, he managed to stay healthy in 2014 but barely set foot on the field, because he was too far down the depth chart and the top options largely avoided the infirmary.

However, it appears the Lions are hoping that Broyles is far enough removed from his ruptured Achilles and two torn ACLs to make a mark in 2015.

“If Ryan Broyles comes in here during OTAs and he’s tearing it up, then the coaches are going to put him in the game,” general manager Martin Mayhew said in February, per DetroitLions.com.

“He’s going to play. A lot of times it's up to (the player). As much as you might want something for somebody, if they don’t want something for themselves, or for whatever reason it doesn’t happen, it’s not going to happen.”

It's debatable just how involved in the Lions O he will be next season, since Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Corey Fuller sit ahead of him on the depth chart. 2015 is the final year of his rookie contract, so he will need to seize any opportunities he gets in order to boost his free-agent value for next offseason.
Tags:

Any chance Dockett returns to Cardinals?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
12:28
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

When the Arizona Cardinals released Darnell Dockett on Friday, they shed $9.8 million off of their salary cap. That doesn't mean they don't want the defensive end back for 2015, but only that they couldn't secure him at a price they felt was appropriate for a veteran who will turn 34 during the offseason and missed last season with a torn ACL.

To wit, they reportedly offered Dockett an extension before cutting ties with him.

"The Cardinals are believed to have offered a one-year deal worth a minimum of $2.5 million. Dockett could make up to about $4 million through playing-time and production incentives," wrote Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

"The Cardinals are gambling that Dockett won't receive a better offer."

As ESPN Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss notes, only time will tell exactly what sort of offer(s) Dockett will find on the free-agent market:

Josh Weinfuss
Darnell Dockett about to find out his market value

"The difference between what a player thinks he's worth and what he's actually worth is usually a harsh dose of reality. Darnell Dockett will find out if others think he's worth what he believes he is in the next few weeks. ... Dockett will now get a chance to test free agency and get a market value -- fair or not -- that will determine where he ends up. What can happen is quite simple. If his market value is lower than what the Cardinals offered, Dockett could return for Year 12 in the desert. If it's higher, Dockett might take the money and run. But there's a catch. Dockett has long felt he was loyal to the Cardinals, and how the recent negotiations went down might impact his feelings toward the franchise. ... Dockett probably doesn't have much time left in the NFL. He knows this and will acknowledge it. More than anything, he wanted to win a Super Bowl with the Cardinals on his home turf the past season. But his injury Aug. 18 made that impossible. He might get another chance in Arizona, but the business of the game might prohibit that from happening."

Tags:

Will Hankerson re-up with Washington?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
11:05
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

When the Washington Redskins selected Leonard Hankerson in the third round of the 2011 draft, the club hoped he would turn into a genuine outside threat. However, injuries have plagued him throughout most of his career -- he was active for just two games last season -- and he never really came through when he was on the field.

He is slated to become an unrestricted free agent a week from now, but will he end up re-signing with Washington?

"I’d be in favor of re-signing Hankerson with the intention of giving him one more shot to prove he can 1) stay healthy and 2) help the team. Given his injury history, I’m not convinced he can stay healthy," wrote Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com. "But I do recall his productive 2012 campaign (16 games, 38 catches, 543 yards, 3 touchdowns), so I’m also not ready to give up on the former third round pick, particularly since the Redskins have spent four years developing him."

Specifically, El-Bashir thinks they should ink Hankerson to an incentive-laden, non-guaranteed deal for the veteran's minimum. While that would help mitigate the risks of keeping Hankerson, his health issues may be too much for the franchise to overlook when considering his future with the team:

John Keim
Redskins free-agent analysis: Leonard Hankerson

"Reason he might not [re-sign]: Because durability is a major issue with him and there were definitely times last summer and throughout the season that coach Jay Gruden was frustrated with the number of players constantly nursing injuries. Hankerson's injuries have been big ones so it's not as if he is sidelined by a lot of nagging issues. Still, he's not available all that much. It's also a good draft for receivers. Also, other teams are keeping their eye on him. At this point, Hankerson is nothing more than a No. 4 receiver who does not help on special teams."

Tags:

Buzz on Darrelle Revis with Patriots, Jets
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
9:53
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Although the New England Patriots hold an option on Darrelle Revis' contract for 2015, they aren't expected to invoke it because it would cost them a whopping $25 million in salary-cap space.

Will Revis work out a long-term deal with the Patriots, in lieu of the 2015 option?

"I think he's looking for a home, and I think he felt like home was [the Patriots]," ESPN NFL Insider Mark Dominik said Tuesday morning on Mike & Mike. "I think Revis stays at a reasonable rate. ... I think maybe it's more than $12 million for five years -- $60 million, maybe -- it's done. But I think New England's going to get a discount, and I think it's going to be hard for Revis not to want to stay there."

Dominik pointed specifically to Revis getting a taste of success by winning the Super Bowl with the Pats as a primary reason why he is unlikely to leave the team. Nonetheless, if he makes it to the market, plenty of suitors will come calling, and that should include his former team, the New York Jets.

"The Daily News has learned that [owner Woody] Johnson has been involved in serious internal discussions with Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan to make a push for perennial All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis if/when he becomes a free agent next week," wrote Manish Mehta.

Of course, internal discussions are a long way from actually luring Revis back to the Jets. There has been no buzz as of yet that the interest is mutual. However, if Revis decides to follow the money, the Jets will be in position to outbid the Patriots, because they have well over $50 million in salary-cap space.
Tags:

Which teams will pursue DeMarco Murray?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
8:42
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

When the Dallas Cowboys made the expected decision Monday to use their franchise tag on Dez Bryant instead of DeMarco Murray, it put the futures of both Murray and the Cowboys backfield in flux.

Unless Murray unexpectedly re-signs with the Cowboys before the free-agent market opens in a week, Murray will be allowed to sign with any team he chooses. After leading the NFL in rushing in 2014, he is sure to find plenty of interested teams.

Ian Rapoport said on NFL Network Monday evening that the Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals, Jacksonville Jaguars and Seattle Seahawks (if Marshawn Lynch ends up retiring) are potential suitors for Murray.

The Jags and Colts have loads of cap space, so they are in position to make serious financial runs at several players. The Cardinals are in the middle of the pack when it comes to room under the cap, so they could at least make a play for Murray. Should Lynch call it quits, the Seahawks would have an extra $7 million worth of space.

We may well hear of more teams in the coming days that will take a swing at Murray. If the Cowboys fail to re-sign Murray, they are going to have to figure out a way to replace him in their backfield:

Todd Archer
Do Cowboys have replacements ready?

"The only current choices would be Joseph Randle or Ryan Williams. Randle's off-field issues hardly guarantee him a roster spot. Williams spent the year on the practice squad. Randle had just 51 carries in 2014 but he had 343 yards and three touchdowns. If the Cowboys can’t keep Murray, they must find another running back either in the draft or in free agency to replace the NFL’s reigning rushing champ."

Tags:

Falcons targeting UFA Brian Orakpo?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
7:42
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Washington Redskins used the franchise tag on Brian Orakpo last year. This season, they opted against using the tag on the veteran linebacker, which means that he will be allowed to test the free-agent market in a week, unless he re-signs with Washington before the March 10 deadline.

Apparently, Orakpo already is drawing interest from other teams.

"Per a league source, at least four teams are interested in Orakpo," wrote Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com. "For now, the leaders are believed to be Washington and the Falcons."

The Falcons' interest in Orakpo dates back to last season, and with new coach Dan Quinn focused on turning around their struggling defense, we should expect them to make a run at least one impact pass-rusher this offseason:

Vaughn McClure
How much will Falcons be willing to invest in pass-rushers?

"Washington's Brian Orakpo would have been a top target for the Falcons last offseason had he not been hit with the franchise tag. Orakpo is set to hit the open market in March but is coming off a season-ending right pectoral tear. It will be interesting to see whether the Falcons maintain an interest in the three-time Pro Bowler, who has 40 career sacks. The Falcons might be better off targeting a pass-rusher such as Pernell McPhee from the Baltimore Ravens. He didn't start a game last season yet was productive with 7.5 sacks and 26 quarterback hits to go with 11 tackles for losses while playing 489 of 1,034 defensive snaps. The former fifth-round pick from Mississippi State made a modest $645,000 last season. McPhee, 26, will get a significant raise but won't force teams to break the bank. ... Adding just one capable pass-rusher won't be enough for the Falcons. They need to stockpile as many as possible. Two names worth monitoring on the free-agent market are Adrian Clayborn from Tampa Bay and O'Brien Schofield from Seattle."

Tags:

Checking in on Spiller's free-agent options
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
3:53
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Veteran running back C.J. Spiller is just about a week away from being able to test the market as an unrestricted free agent. He recently said that he was open to re-signing with the Buffalo Bills, which made an offseason coaching change from Doug Marrone to Rex Ryan.

Nonetheless, it appears far more likely that he will depart for a new team this offseason.

"I think at the current moment the safe bet right now is that C.J. Spiller will not be a member of the Buffalo Bills in 2015 and beyond for the simple fact that he really didn't impress in the lead/feature role over the past couple of years," WGR 550's Joe Buscaglia told Bleacher Report's Adam Lefkoe.

There has been a fair amount of buzz that he could sign with the New York Jets so he could reunite with OC Chan Gailey, under whom he had his best statistical season as a pro (2012).

It will be interesting to see whether he may be more enticed by a potentially larger role on a shoddy team or a secondary role on a contender. ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates thinks that the Seattle Seahawks could make for an intriguing landing spot for Spiller:

Field Yates
Spiller to Seahawks?

"The Seahawks traded away Percy Harvin in the middle of last season, leaving something of a speed void among their offensive skill players, particularly after second-round receiver Paul Richardson subsequently tore his ACL. While the team is more likely to address wide receiver than running back this offseason, free agent-to-be C.J. Spiller would be an intriguing add to Seattle from a speed and utilization standpoint. He's a player who might be best-served to find a team that can afford to use him in a non-bellcow role, and his explosiveness in the open field would be a nice boost to Seattle's offense. The Seahawks could use him in some of the same ways it used Harvin, because Spiller is an adept pass-catcher."

Tags:

Dwight Freeney not prepared to retire?
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
2:43
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Veteran DE/OLB Dwight Freeney recently turned 35 years old, so 2014 may well have been his swansong campaign in the NFL. However, he isn't quite ready to hang up his cleats, noting that ideally he would like to play again for the San Diego Chargers in 2015.

"I could retire tomorrow and still be happy with what I've done in this league," said Freeney, per the San Diego Union-Tribune. "But I think I have a lot in the tank as well.

"It's one of those things where I'm going to wait for the right situation to come across the table. Hopefully it's with the Chargers. If they are not interested, obviously, you have to (test) the free agent market and see what team is interested."

At this stage of his career, he basically is just a situational pass-rusher, which means he may not find much interest from teams until training camp nears or even gets underway.
Tags:

Expectations for DeMarco's next contract
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
1:27
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Dallas Cowboys have decided to use the franchise tag on wide receiver Dez Bryant, instead of running back DeMarco Murray, as was largely expected. For Murray, that means he can test the market next week as an unrestricted free agent, though he still can re-sign with the Cowboys.

Considering how great he looked in 2014, he is sure to have plenty of suitors, though only time will tell what sort of contract he will secure. At 27 years old, Murray is right in his prime, but the Cowboys (or any other suitor) will have to consider the durability issues most running backs deal with as they approach the 30-year-old line when determining the length of his next contract.

"I think the Cowboys would have jumped at the chance to sign Murray to a two-year contract. Even a three-year deal might be welcome. But a five-year deal? Running backs rarely get better as they get older," wrote Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News.

"The Cowboys would likely love the first year of the deal and may come to enjoy the second year, possibly even the third. But those fourth and fifth years could be regrettable."

Of course, when it comes to NFL contracts, the key for both sides will be the guaranteed money and, in turn, how many years the contract includes guaranteed elements. If the team can get out of a five-year contract with Murray in two years, for instance, it would be a fairly safe deal for them.
Tags:

Post-separation plans for Jones, Ravens
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
11:55
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Last week, the Baltimore Ravens released veteran wide receiver and return man Jacoby Jones. While they shaved his $3.375 million contract off of their books, the dead money left on the deal means they saved only $750K worth of salary-cap space.

Jones will turn 31 this offseason, but he already is generating interest as a free agent. Which teams are kicking the tires on the veteran?

"Forrmer Ravens wide receiver and kick returner Jacoby Jones could potentially be staying in the AFC North division," wrote Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. "Jones is visiting the Cincinnati Bengals today, according to a source.

"The Tennessee Titans are Jones' next scheduled visit, per a source."

Because Jones was released and now is an unrestricted free agent, he has an advantage over players who won't hit the free-agent market before it officially opens on March 10. He can speak and sign with any team he so chooses right now.

As for the Ravens, who will they turn to in 2015 as their top return man?:

Jamison Hensley
Ravens Mail: Who replaces Jacoby Jones as returner?

"The top candidate appears to be wide receiver Michael Campanaro, the seventh-round pick from a year ago. He fielded most of the returns for the Ravens in preseason with mixed results. Campanaro broke a 44-yard kickoff return but averaged a mediocre 6.4 yards on punt returns. The Ravens really do envision him as their own Julian Edelman, a slot receiver who is the primary returner. The biggest question with Campanaro isn't whether he can handle the job. It's whether he can stay healthy. Unless the Ravens draft a returner or sign one in free agency (which is unlikely, considering their cap situation), the other options at returner are cornerbacks Asa Jackson and Lardarius Webb, and both of them have difficulty staying healthy, too. Running back Fitzgerald Toussaint is also a possibility."

Tags:

Possible suitors for Ndamukong Suh
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
11:05
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Detroit Lions have decided against using the franchise tag on unrestricted free agent Ndamukong Suh. Although there was some buzz that they may go ahead and use the tag, the hefty price of nearly $27 million that would have counted against their salary cap made it a highly unlikely move.

The team still can re-sign him, but he is free to hit the open market on March 10. Which teams may come calling?

"The Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans are among the teams that could try to lure Suh from Detroit," wrote Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

"All have more than $30 million in 2015 salary cap room, or almost double what the Lions have in available space (less than $18 million)."

So long as a team has the requisite money to lure Suh, he figures to fit into any defensive scheme due to his versatility and the incredible impact he has on those around him:

Matt Williamson
Sizing up the top free agents for 2015

"He's one of the few defensive players that make everyone around him better. He demands attention. He can fit any scheme. You can use him like J.J. Watt as a 3-4 attacking defensive end or certainly as a tackle in the 4-3. He's the type of player that anyone who runs any scheme would want."

Tags:

Last edited by Huh on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles)   ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles) EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 4:22 pm

MLB baseball.

March 5, 2015

ALL
NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL
CFB Recruiting
CBB Recruiting

Position battle: Padres third baseman
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
1:22
PM ET
By AJ Mass | ESPN Insider

Comments
Email
Print

Third base used to be an easy call for the San Diego Padres, as they grew comfortable relying on the presence of Chase Headley at the hot corner on an everyday basis. However, for 2015, that's no longer an option and the Opening Day starter at the position may not be known for several more weeks.

The candidates:

Yangervis Solarte, age 27, bats both
Will Middlebrooks, age 26, bats right

Solarte: Acquired from the New York Yankees in last season's Headley deal, Solarte started 54 games for the Padres, hitting .267 with four home runs and 17 RBI. He had showed signs of promise with the Yankees, as his batting average reached as high as .336 on May 14 before rapidly declining prior to the trade.

Middlebrooks: After averaging 16 home runs in his first two years with the Boston Red Sox, Middlebrooks swatted just two round-trippers to go along with a sad .191 batting average in an injury-shortened 2014. No longer needed after Pablo Sandoval arrived in Fenway Park, the Padres traded for the third baseman in the hopes a change of scenery and health will combine to revive his career.

Latest update: According to Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune, when asked about the possibility of a platoon at third base, manager Bud Black said, "Possibility, but I think any player will tell you he wants to be an everyday player -- they want to play. And they're both young, they’re both in their mid-20s. You hope it's a tough decision at the end, but these things have a way of working themselves out."

Current leader: In Wednesday's spring opener, Lin reports that Solarte "went 2-for-3 with a double... (and) made a diving stop to prevent a double down the line, jumping to his feet to rifle to first for the out." The ball is now in Middlebrooks' court to try and match the effort in a competition that could well go down to the final week of March.
Tags:

MLB position battles, San Diego Padres, Will Middlebrooks, Yangervis Solarte
Blue Jays OF in flux?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
12:10
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

For the Toronto Blue Jays, it's not so much of an outfield competition that's taking place this spring, as the identity of the expected trio of starters may have already been decided upon. However, there's still a lot of uncertainty as exactly which players will be playing where.

As Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports, Dalton Pompey, Kevin Pillar and Ezequiel Carrera rotated around all three outfield positions in the team's first spring contest on Wednesday. Manager John Gibbons told Stark that "all three players have experience at all three positions -- so that gives them all a few innings out there in each spot."

Although Jose Bautista will ultimately be the starting right fielder, Gibbons says the rest of the outfield is up for grabs, though Stark notes that "most people have projected Pompey as the Blue Jays' likely Opening Day center fielder, and Pillar as a possible starter in left."
Tags:

Ezequiel Carrera, Jose Bautista, Kevin Pillar, Dalton Pompey
Position battle: Cubs fifth starter
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
11:30
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The top three spots in the Chicago Cubs rotation are all but etched in stone, with the trio of Jon Lester, Jake Arrieta and Jason Hammel on the staff. According to Patrick Mooney of CSN Chicago, the No. 4 pitcher is also a "lock" in the form of Kyle Hendricks.

That leaves just one spot open in manager Joe Maddon's inaugural rotation, and a pair of pitchers ready to battle it out for the job this spring.

The candidates:

Travis Wood, age 28, throws left
Edwin Jackson, age 31, throws right

Wood: Though he's lost double-digit games in each of his last three seasons, it's easy to forget Wood was an All-Star just two seasons ago. However, after turning down a multi-year deal that would have paid him $8 million per year, as Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times notes, the pitcher "went from the league leaders in ERA (3.11) and quality starts (24) in 2013 to the worst season of his young career -- 5.03 and 13, with 26 fewer innings, a higher walk rate and an 8-13 record."

Jackson: Losing 31 games in two years is no way to endear yourself to an organization. However, his career-high in wins did come back in 2008 with the Tampa Bay Rays, so Maddon was able to witness that success firsthand. Plus, as Mooney notes, "Jackson also threw a no-hitter against Maddon's Rays with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2010 -- while throwing to new Cubs catcher Miguel Montero."

Latest update: Wood will kick things off for the Cubs in a Thursday split-squad game against the Oakland Athletics, while Jackson is not scheduled to take the mound until March 9, when he will face the San Diego Padres.

Current leader: Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago writes that "for all practical purposes, this is Wood's job to lose. But if Jackson somehow regains any kind of decent form, he could end up being the fifth starter. Crazier things have happened. More than likely, if everyone is healthy, the Cubs will trade one of those two pitchers -- or Tsuyoshi Wada. Jacob Turner and Felix Doubront are long shots for the job."
Tags:

MLB position battles, Travis Wood, Edwin Jackson
Dodgers sweeten potential Ethier deal?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
9:07
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Will the Los Angeles Dodgers be able to move Andre Ethier prior to the start of the season so that they're not dealing with a disgruntled player on their bench? So far, there have been no takers, but the team appears to be ready to press the issue.

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Dodgers have "offered to pay down 'about half' the $56 million remaining over three years on Ethier's contract in efforts to trade him, sources familiar with the talks say. Ethier appears to be the likely odd man out in a slightly less crowded Dodgers outfield situation, with coveted rookie Joc Pederson most likely to join Carl Crawford and Yasiel Puig as starters, and Ethier already this spring has expressed interest in being traded if he isn't starting."

Certainly, it's early, but a strong spring from Pederson will only make Ethier more expendable. As Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles notes, "The Los Angeles Dodgers aren't going to reach any sweeping generalizations about (Pederson) based on a couple of weeks of spring training, much less one game, but they were glad he got his spring off to a good start by going 2-for-2 in the Dodgers' 6-4 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday."

Heyman suggests that the Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays might be potential trade partners, but there doesn't seem to be any concrete talks at present with either of those clubs.
Tags:

Andre Ethier, Joc Pederson
Could Coke return to Tigers?
March, 5, 2015
Mar 5
8:48
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

According to Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet, free agent reliever Phil Coke is "very close" to a deal and expected to have an agreement in place by Friday. While the identity of the team interested in Coke is unknown, could it be the Detroit Tigers?

The Tigers did just have to cut Joel Hanrahan loose when it was discovered that the veteran reliever needed to undergo Tommy John surgery and would not be able to pitch in 2015. However, as Bob Wojnowski of the Detroit News writes, "The Tigers did nothing wrong giving Hanrahan a chance on a minor-league deal, and Hanrahan did nothing wrong except take an unlucky spin on the wheel of fate... This wasn't a surprise, and it doesn't change anything with a Tigers bullpen forever in flux. They weren't counting on Hanrahan, but were willing to give a shot to a former star."

Plus, the team seems to be high on Ian Krol, as Lynn Henning of the Detroit News notes: "This year, not surprisingly, you're seeing a new and improved Krol. He pitched an inning Wednesday and his fastball popped as it did 12 months ago. He had a nifty curve and change-up and expects to get help from a new cutter-slider he is bringing to a repertoire that needed more variety... He could be that left-hander the Tigers have been hunting since the prime-time days of Phil Coke."
Tags:

Detroit Tigers
Wednesday rumors roundup
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
3:30
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Spring training is often a time for experimentation, so it's not uncommon to see players trying out the view from an unfamiliar position on the playing field. That said, sometimes these new environs are the first step of an actual plan to transition a starter to a new full-time job.

That appears to be the case with the Oakland Athletics. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, manager Bob Melvin announced that "Coco Crisp, the A's longtime center fielder, will shift to left field this spring... The team believes that such a move will help keep Crisp off the disabled list, especially after issues with a neck injury that reoccurred last season. His Cactus League debut on Thursday will be in left field."

As a result of this move, you can expect Sam Fuld and Craig Gentry to platoon in center field.

What other surprising news and rumors are making the rounds this Wednesday from around the major leagues? Here's a taste of some of the stories on which we're keeping a watchful eye:

Shane Victorino: Although the Boston Red Sox are intimating that Victorino is going to be the team's starting right fielder in 2015, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe isn't buying it. He fully expects the veteran to be traded this spring.
Cole Hamels: Are rumors surrounding the Philadelphia Phillies ace potentially going to the Red Sox ever going to go away? If so, it's not going to be while a team representative is seen watching the prospects at Boston's training facility.
Mitch Moreland: The Texas Rangers are taking things slow with the man they believe can be their everyday designated hitter for the upcoming season.
Brandon Cumpton: It's never a good thing when your name appears in the same sentence as Dr. James Andrews, but that's where Cumpton finds himself. Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander, "who has lingering discomfort in his elbow, will be examined Monday" by the famed orthopedic surgeon.
Josh Johnson: The pitcher is progressing according to plan in his post-Tommy John surgery rehab. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that the San Diego Padres "are targeting sometime during the first half of this month for Johnson's first bullpen session. A return to major league action is possible around June 1."
Miami Marlins: According to Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald, the Miami Marlins have no intention of rushing pitching prospects Jose Urena and Justin Nicolino to the major leagues. Both starters are expected to start the season at Triple-A New Orleans.
Jimmy Rollins: Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Los Angeles Dodgers manager Don Mattingly put the shortstop "atop his batting order posted a day ahead of Wednesday's Cactus League opener, and said that's where he'll stay for the season."
Joel Hanrahan: The relief pitcher's career may be in jeopardy after the Detroit Tigers announced they had released the 33-year-old veteran due to the need for Hanrahan to undergo the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
Alex Cobb: Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the team has named Cobb as their official Opening Day starter, with Chris Archer and Drew Smyly following him in the first series of the season.

Tags:

Miami Marlins, Coco Crisp, Mitch Moreland, Cole Hamels, Josh Johnson, Joel Hanrahan, Jimmy Rollins, Shane Victorino, Brandon Cumpton
Position battle: White Sox second base
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
2:33
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

When the Chicago White Sox traded for Jeff Samardzija of the Oakland Athletics in December, they included second baseman Marcus Semien in the package. However, with Semien no longer in the picture, the identity of who might be Chicago's starting second baseman in 2015 is no more clear than it was prior to the deal.

The candidates:

Micah Johnson, age 24, bats left
Carlos Sanchez, age 23, bats both
Gordon Beckham, age 28, bats right
Emilio Bonifacio, age 30, bats both

Johnson: As ESPN.com's Keith Law writes of his fifth-ranked White Sox prospect, "He had hamstring problems for much of 2014, so he didn't get to make the defensive improvements at second base we'd hoped for. He makes a lot of hard contact with some uphill to his swing path, but given his speed, he's losing out on potential value by not working the count more."

Sanchez: The youngster started 26 games at second base for Chicago over the final five weeks of the 2014 season and hit a respectable .263 over that stretch. Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago writes that Sanchez "rates more highly with the glove than Johnson," which is certainly a big mark in his favor.

Beckham: Returning to the team after a mid-season deal that sent him to the Los Angeles Angels, the White Sox know well what he can do at second base, what with him having been the starter there since 2009. However, his versatility may make him more suited to a "super-utility role."

Bonifacio: More versatility is what the White Sox got when they signed Bonifacio to a one-year deal with an option in January. As Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune wrote then, "He fills the Sox's needs for a veteran utility player and depth at several positions as he has played 271 career games in the outfield... as well as 196 games at second base, 141 at third base and 101 at shortstop."

Latest update: Johnson started off the spring strong, as Kane reports: "Sox manager Robin Ventura called Johnson a 'work in progress' defensively this week but said he was very impressed after Johnson's showing in the club's intrasquad game Tuesday. Johnson was 3-for-4 with three runs scored and two stolen bases to lead his team to a 6-4 victory."

Current leader: According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, it's Johnson who "might have a leg up as he continues to put in extra work defensively with third-base coach Joe McEwing," though he notes that it's still early so, any of the four candidates could end up winning the job.
Tags:

MLB position battles, Emilio Bonifacio, Gordon Beckham, Carlos Sanchez, Micah Johnson
Twins roster already taking shape?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
1:28
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Citing a need to have more roster flexibility and a desire to not be stuck with only three bench players to start the season, new Minnesota Twins manager Paul Molitor is planning to start the season with only a dozen pitchers on his staff.

However, as Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune points out, this isn't the first time a Twins manager has made such a pronouncement: "The Twins have opened every season since at least 2006 with a 12-man pitching staff, but over the past five years, they haven't made it beyond mid-May without adding an eighth relief pitcher -- and in two of the past three, the season wasn't three weeks old before another arm had to be called up from Class AAA."

Miller adds that the only apparent lineup spots that aren't quite set just yet for 2015 are in center field and shortstop, with Aaron Hicks and Jordan Schafer as "the chief candidates for the outfield while Danny Santana, the incumbent in center, and Eduardo Escobar, the holdover at short... competing for the latter's job. Molitor has made it clear he wants Santana to play his natural position in the infield, and Santana has not taken part in outfield drills this spring."
Tags:

Aaron Hicks, Minnesota Twins, Jordan Schafer, Danny Santana, Eduardo Escobar
Astros bullpen taking shape?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
12:16
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Last season, the Houston Astros ranked dead last in all of major league baseball in terms of their relievers' ERA. That's why new manager A.J. Hinch is hoping to build a cohesive unit from the outset of 2015.

According to Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle, the makeup of the Astros bullpen for the upcoming season is pretty much set: "The target for (Hinch) is a 12-man pitching staff -- five starters and a seven-man bullpen -- which leaves two spots open this spring training: likely, a second lefthander behind Tony Sipp, and a long reliever or swing man. Sipp, Luke Gregerson, Pat Neshek, Chad Qualls and Josh Fields all have solidified jobs."

While that may seem like an invitation for a lot of competition for those last two spots this spring, it may not be as hard to figure out who might get them when all is said and done. "The competition for a second left reliever is relatively narrow: Kevin Chapman is on the 40-man roster, up against non-roster invitees Joe Thatcher and Darin Downs... Righties Alex White and Asher Wojciechowski are both going to be asked to prepare as relievers as well as starters, which is their usual role," Drellich writes.
Tags:

Houston Astros, Chad Qualls, Luke Gregerson, Josh Fields, Pat Neshek
Victorino's last stand in Boston?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
11:11
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

When the Boston Red Sox opened their spring schedule against Northeastern on Tuesday, the starting lineup was believed to mirror what could be the one used on a routine basis during the regular season -- with perhaps one noticeable exception.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe doesn't believe that Shane Victorino will still be with the Red Sox come Opening Day: "Victorino has about four more weeks to prove he can stay healthy, but in the meantime, the Red Sox are framing him as their starter. Not only to show other teams that he's healthy, but that he's worthy of trading for."

"They're trying to amp up his value because even though there will be teams interested, he makes $13 million a season, and they won't want to take on all that salary," Cafardo writes. "The Red Sox are right to promote Victorino as their starting right fielder. First of all, it's only fair to him that he doesn't lose his job to an injury, and second, it's only fair to him that he gets a look from the many scouts who will be watching Red Sox games this spring."
Tags:

Shane Victorino
Hamels talk soldiers on
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
10:13
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The talks between the Boston Red Sox and Philadelphia Phillies have not stopped -- and likely will not stop -- until a deal for either Cole Hamels or Cliff Lee finally comes to pass.

As Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports, Phillies special assistant to the general manager Charlie Kerfeld "strolled through the back fields at the Red Sox complex (Tuesday) morning," presumably keeping tabs on select prospects who may ultimately make up the bulk of a return package for one of the two veteran arms.

"So far, the sides have been unable to reach agreement on what’s a fair deal, with the Red Sox unwilling to send their top prospects packing," Silverman writes. "The two players attached most often to the Hamels talks have been catcher Blake Swihart and outfielder Mookie Betts, and Kerfeld watched each of them closely during their respective batting practices yesterday. Other players Kerfeld was watching included third baseman Garin Cecchini and shortstop Deven Marrero."

ESPN.com's Buster Olney comments on the situation: "On paper, the Phillies and Red Sox are the most logical partners in any Hamels trade, but what the industry has signaled to Philadelphia through its lack of deals is that the Phils have to get more realistic about how much money they should eat in any deal involving Hamels, Jonathan Papelbon and Lee."
Tags:

Philadelphia Phillies, Cole Hamels
Rangers looking to Moreland?
March, 4, 2015
Mar 4
9:05
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

In 23 games as the designated hitter for the Texas Rangers last season, Mitch Moreland hit .300. Unfortunately, Moreland had left ankle surgery in June and the hodgepodge group of 18 other batters who manned the DH spot in 2014 managed to post only a collective .226 batting average.

That's why the team is happy to learn, as the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports, that Moreland is "progressing on schedule (though) he and the club continue to use a cautious approach. Moreland... took ground balls Tuesday (and) also ran the bases."

"Moreland is a prime candidate to be the Rangers' designated hitter. Hitting is the one area he's been able to work at most this spring. By the end of camp Moreland hopes to get some time in left field," the article also notes.
Tags:

Mitch Moreland
Tuesday rumors roundup
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
2:51
PM ET
By Doug Mittler | ESPN Insider

Comments
Email
Print

Play Ball! The Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues are underway, and we already have a home run by the Pirates’ Jung Ho Kang against the Blue Jays.

On Monday, Rumor Central discussed how the Korean shortstop is more likely to take away at-bats from shortstop Jordy Mercer and third baseman Josh Harrison than from second baseman Neil Walker. Here are some of the rumors and news making the rounds on Tuesday:

Cole Hamels: Despite the presence of Phillies executive Charley Kerfeld in Fort Myers to scout the Red Sox on Monday, there are “no signs of any progress” in trade talks, two major league sources told Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald.
San Diego Padres: Brandon Morrow and Odrisamer Despaigne are among the candidates for the role of fifth starter in the Pads’ revamped rotation.
Arizona Diamondbacks: The Snakes have put the word out that pitcher Trevor Cahill, second baseman Aaron Hill and outfielder Cody Ross are available, says Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
Alex Rios: The Kansas City Royals have enough faith in the defensive prowess of Rios that they will not use Jarrod Dyson as a late-game defender early in the season, reports Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star.
Brian Dozier: The Twins appear to be closing in on a contract extension with their second baseman, according to Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press.
Chris Young: The free agent pitcher will make a decision on a team by the end of the week, tweets ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick.
San Francisco Giants: The World Series champions could be facing a roster crunch later this spring due to a host of players without contract options, reports Andrew Baggarly.
Dillon Gee: GM Sandy Alderson says it's "fair to say" the Mets have had little to no recent talk about trading the righthander, tweets Anthony Dicomo of MLB.com.
Zack Cozart: Reds Manager Bryan Price insists Cosart, who struggled offensively last season, is his starting shortstop. But what it Cosart gets off to another slow start?
Huston Street: The closer is ready to resume talks on a contract extension with the Los Angeles Angels, reports Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register.
Joel Hanrahan: Once an elite closer, Hanrahan's comeback attempt has hit another bump in the road.

Tags:

Arizona Diamondbacks, San Diego Padres, Huston Street, Dillon Gee, Cole Hamels, Zack Cosart, Brian Dozie
Position battle: Padres fifth starter
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
1:09
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

You can’t tell the 2015 San Diego Padres without a scoreboard thanks to all the moves that new general manager A.J. Preller made over the winter. There is a new staff ace in James Shields, and there also is a battle to see who will slot into the fifth spot in the rotation behind Shields, Tyson Ross, Andrew Cashner and Ian Kennedy. Get your pencils ready:

The candidates:
Brandon Morrow, age 30, throws right
Odrisamer Despaigne, age 27, throws right
Robbie Erlin, age 24, throws left
Matt Wisler, age 22, throws right

Morrow: Signed as a free agent before Preller put his overhaul into overdrive. Morrow made just 16 starts for the Blue Jays across the past two seasons due to forearm and hand injuries, posting a 5.65 ERA in that span.

Despaigne: The Cuban righty got off a fast start last season with a 1.35 ERA in his first five starts and finished with a 3.36 ERA and 1.215 WHIP in 16 outings.

Erlin: Manager Bud Black could give the southpaw a long look in Cactus League play given the top four starters are all righthanded. Erlin went 4-5 with a 4.99 ERA in 13 big league outings last year.

Wisler: Black says Wisler remains in the mix although he had a combined 4.42 ERA in Double-A and Triple-A last season. He dropped out of Keith Law’s list of Top 100 prospects after a No. 39 ranking last year.

Latest update: Black has also been impressed by Morrow's approach to handling his host of injuries, reports AJ Cassavell of MLB.com. Despaigne’s versatility could make him a favorite for a swing-man role in the bullpen, says Jeff Sanders of the Union-Tribune.

Current leader: The Cactus League season should decide whether the job goes to Morrow or Despaigne. Erlin might need a huge spring while Wisler, at this stage, needs more minor league seasoning. Morrow also would be a bullpen candidate if he fails to make the rotation.
Tags:

MLB position battles, San Diego Padres, Brandon Morrow, Odrisamer Despaigne
Will Price stick with Cozart?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
10:25
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Managers often welcome competition for jobs, but Reds skipper Bryan Price is leaving no doubt that Zack Cozart will be his starting shortstop. That calls into question what the Reds will do with Eugenio Suarez, who was acquired from the Tigers in December as part of the deal for Alfredo Simon.

Cozart is the choice even though he is coming off of a brutal offensive season in which he hit just .221/.268/.300. Suarez debuted for the Tigers in June and hit .279 in 80 plate appearances, but he faded down the stretch and finished with a .242 BA and .316 OBP. Suarez was a career .278/.362/.415 hitter in the minor leagues.

"I like Zack Cozart as our shortstop, I do," Price told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. "What we did with Eugenio is we went out and got the two best players we would be able to get in the Simon trade. We look at him as an outstanding defensive player, which is the primary concern with a shortstop, the defensive aspect of the position.”

The status of Suarez remains an open-ended question, but Price clearly has options. This could turn into an intriguing dilemma for the skipper should Cozart, whose batting average dropped 33 points last season, get off to another slow start.
Tags:

Cincinnati Reds, Zack Cozart
What is Huston Street worth?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
9:40
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Closer Huston Street is ready to resume talks on a contract extension with the Los Angeles Angels, reports Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register. What can Street, who is acting as his own agent, expect to bring home?

The 31-year-old Street will make $7 million in the final year of a deal he signed with the San Diego Padres. Fletcher notes the Angels are less than $15 million under the $189 million luxury tax threshold for 2015, “although they could get some relief if Josh Hamilton is suspended.”

Mike DiGiovanni of the Los Angeles Times wrote last month that “the market for established closers hasn't fluctuated much, with most earning between $10 million and $12 million a year, so there isn't as much wiggle room in negotiations.”

Street is believed to be looking for a four-year contract to replace his current deal. The points of comparison will likely be the four-year, $46 million deal the White Sox gave David Robertson and the four-year, $36 million deal the Yankees gave Andrew Miller.

Street combined for 41 saves in 44 chances last season for the Padres and Angels.
Tags:

Huston Street
Latest on Hamels trade talks
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
9:05
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Philadelphia Phillies are in the midst of a rebuilding plan and the Boston Red Sox could use a staff ace. So is Cole Hamels any closer to pitching in a home uniform at Fenway Park?

Despite the presence of Phillies executive Charley Kerfeld in Fort Myers to scout the Red Sox on Monday, there are “no signs of any progress” in trade talks, two major league sources told Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald.

Meanwhile, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports Hamels and Cliff Lee are still on Boston’s radar. “The last time they had serious discussions, Boston was offering some major league talent, not prospects,” Cafardo writes. “If that major league talent were, say, Xander Bogaerts, the Phillies would likely jump, but that’s not what was offered, according to a major league source.”

The Phillies are believed to covet catching prospect Blake Swihart and outfielder Mookie Betts from Boston, but the Red Sox won’t go that far, at least for now. Mastrodonato says the Red Sox might be more willing to deal “high-ceiling prospects who have no clear path to the big league roster,” such as third baseman Garin Cecchini, shortstop Deven Marrero and outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

Neither team appears to be in a rush to deal and Red Sox are content with Rick Porcello and Wade Miley atop their rotation.
Tags:

Philadelphia Phillies, Cole Hamels
D-backs willing to deal?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
8:28
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Arizona Diamondbacks have put the word out that pitcher Trevor Cahill, second baseman Aaron Hill and outfielder Cody Ross are available, says Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

D-backs general manager Dave Stewart soon denied he has spoken to teams about any of the three players, but here are good reasons for the D-backs to keep an open mind, especially if the price goes up due to another team suffering an injury.

Cahill had a 5.61 ERA in 32 appearances for the D-backs last season and is not a lock for a rotation spot.

The guess here is the D-backs would be open to dealing Hill if any team would be willing to absorb a good portion of the $24 million left on his contract over the next two years, Currently atop the depth chart at second base, Hill saw his batting average drop 47 points last season to .244.

Ross, who saw his OBP dip to .306 in 2014, will make $9.5 million this season and is the fourth outfielder behind A.J. Pollock, David Peralta and Mark Trumbo.
Tags:

Arizona Diamondbacks, Aaron Hill, Trevor Cahill
Fewer late-inning moves in KC?
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
7:54
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Kansas City Royals have enough faith in the defensive prowess of Alex Rios that they will not use Jarrod Dyson as a late-game defender early in the season, reports Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star.

Former right fielder Norichika Aoki was not known for his defense, so manager Ned Yost would often remove Aoki in the final innings, shifting Lorenzo Cain into right field and installing Dyson in center. “As a new season begins, Yost explained, those late-game maneuvers would become ‘quite a bit less’ of an automatic decision. The Royals want to see how Rios handles the position before they revert to last year’s formula,” writes McCullough.

Neither Aoki or Rios grade highly when it comes to defensive metrics, but the belief is Rios' experience and range makes him less of a liability. If also could mean reduced playing time for Dyson, who appeared in 120 games last season with just 260 at-bats.
Tags:

Kansas City Royals, Jarrod Dyson
Setback for Hanrahan
March, 3, 2015
Mar 3
7:10
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Once an elite closer, Joel Hanrahan's comeback attempt has hit another bump in the road.

Hanrahan, who signed a minor league deal with the Tigers over the winter, has been bothered by lingering soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow and will see a doctor in Texas on Tuesday, says Jason Beck of MLB.com.

The 33-year-old right-hander, who had a combined 84 saves for the Pirates in 2011 and 2012, hasn't pitched in a game since undergoing Tommy John surgery during the 2013 season. Even if Hanrahan’s career is not in jeopardy, the odds of landing a job out of spring training appear unlikely.
Tags:

Detroit Tigers, Joel Hanrahan
Monday rumors roundup
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
3:14
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Monday has been a rainy day in Arizona, cutting short or cancelling the workouts of many Cactus League teams. The weather is better in Florida, where Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright threw his first bullpen session since an abdominal strain forced him to take a few days off.

We are one day away from the start of Grapefruit and Cactus League play, our first chance to see major league teams collide since October. In the meantime, here’s a look at some news and rumors for the second day of March:

Jung Ho Kang: Travis Sawchik of the Tribune-Review says Kang is more likely to take away at-bats from shortstop Jordy Mercer and third baseman Josh Harrison than from second baseman Neil Walker.
Allen Craig: If Josh Hamilton is absent for an extended period and the Angels seek help outside the organization, “it certainly opens up the possibility that Craig or even Shane Victorino could be of interest,” suggests Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
Dayan Viciedo: The Blue Jays signed the outfielder to a minor league deal, but manager John Gibbons didn’t sound so enthusiastic.
Atlanta Braves: Eric Young Jr. has the most experience of the candidates looking to fill in for the injured Melvin Upton.
Evan Gattis: Acquired from the Braves in January, Gattis is out of the catching mix in Houston and could see time at left field or first base.
Yoenis Cespedes: The outfielder has yet to play a game for the Tigers, but he already is talking about making Detroit his long-term home, reports Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press.
Ryan Madson: The reliever who has not pitched since 2011 because of complications from Tommy John surgery is bothered by stiffness in his back, says Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star.
Justin Maxwell: Signed to a minor league contract in December, Maxwell will get his share of Cactus League at-bats this spring for the Giants. Manager Bruce Bochy has always liked the outfielder who already has played for three teams, reports Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Tags:

Atlanta Braves, Adam Wainwright, Dayan Viciedo, Allen Craig, Justin Maxwell, Jung-Ho Kang
Kang's initial role in Pittsburgh
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
12:49
PM ET

Comments
Email
Print

One of the key questions entering spring training for the Pittsburgh Pirates is the status of Korean shortstop Jung Ho Kang, who was signed to a four-year deal worth $11 million.

The Pirates arrive in camp with Jordy Mercer atop the depth chart at shortstop and Neil Walker as their starting second baseman, so Kang’s initial role will be as a utility infielder.

Travis Sawchik of the Tribune-Review says Kang is more likely to take away at-bats from Mercer and third baseman Josh Harrison than from Walker, at least for the time being. "Assuming Walker is healthy, if Kang can translate his skills, he’s more of a threat to everyday players on the left side of the infield who in 2015, like Kang, have much to prove," Sawchik says.

What if the 27-year-old Kang struggles against Grapefruit League pitching and could use some minor league seasoning?

GM Neal Huntington “admitted the move was a ‘calculated risk’ but said the Pirates have ‘zero intent’ to send Kang to the minors to help him acclimate to baseball in the U.S,” wrote Stephen J. Nesbitt of the Post-Gazette last month.

That implies that one of the bench roster spots already belongs to Kang, who hit 40 homers for the Nexen Heroes of the Korean Baseball Organization last season. Sean Rodriguez and Andrew Lambo are other candidates likely to begin the season in a bench role.
Tags:

Pittsburgh Pirates, Jung-Ho Kang
Where will Gattis play?
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
10:05
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Barring an emergency, Evan Gattis appears to be out of the catching mix for the Houston Astros.

“Gattis has been working out exclusively in left field this spring, though he could wind up getting some reps at first base later. Gattis has ordered a first baseman's glove in preparation,” writes Brian McTaggert of MLB.com.

Acquired in a January trade with the Braves, Gattis has primarily been a catcher in his first two major league seasons. But the Astros are set at the posittion with Jason Castro and Hank Conger, and it makes sense for him to get more practice time in left field, where he has been shaky at best defensively.

Jake Marisnick appears to be the early leader in what could be a wide-open competition for the left field job. McTaggert says Gattis could wind up seeing more time at first base if Jon Singleton doesn't make the club. Singleton hit just .168 in 95 games for the Astros last season.
Tags:

Houston Astros, Evan Gattis
Position battle: Braves center fielder
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
9:38
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Melvin (don’t call me B.J.) Upton was hoping that a name change would help reverse his fortunes, but the bad news continued last week when it was learned the Braves’ center fielder could miss the first month of the season because of inflammation in his left foot.

The candidates:
Eric Young Jr., age 29, bats both
Eury Perez, age 24, bats right
Todd Cunningham, age 25, bats both
Zoilo Almonte, age 25, bats both

Young, Jr: Signed to a minor league contract in February, Young is career .252 hitter who batted .229 with a .299 OBP last season in 316 plate appearances with the Mets.

Perez: Owner of 268 steals over eight minor league seasons, Perez has made brief appearances with the Nats and Yankees each of the last three seasons.

Cunningham: He batted .287 with eight homers and a .754 OPS in 120 games for Triple-A Gwinnett.

Almonte: Owns a .242 OBP in parts of two seasons with the Yankees, but had a strong showing in the Dominican Winter League.

Latest update: “The cracked door just opened wide,” writes David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Current leader: Young is the only one of the candidates with significant major league experience (504 games), which could give him the early edge. He also is a career .272 hitter in April, the best of any month. If one of the candidates has a fast start, it will be interesting to see if Upton automatically gets his job back. Upton, after all, has hit .198 over the last two seasons, but has over $46 million left on his contract.
Tags:

MLB position battles, Atlanta Braves, Zoilo Almonte, Eury Perez, Eric Young Jr.
Can Cespedes get a long-term deal?
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
8:19
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Yoenis Cespedes has yet to play a game for the Tigers, but he already is talking about making Detroit his long-term home.

"I would like to be in a Tigers uniform for a lot of years," Cespedes tells Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press. "This is a good team now and will be for a lot of years to come. Every major league player wants the ring and with this team, you really have a good chance."

The 29-year-old Cespedes, a .263 hitter with 71 homers over three big-league seasons, is on his third big league team in less than a year. The outfielder was traded from Oakland to Boston in July, and from Boston to Detroit this winter.

Cespedes, whose four-year, $36 million deal concludes after this season, tells Fenech he didn't know whether the Tigers and his agent have initiated contract extension talks. But even if Cespedes has a big season in 2015, the Tigers may not have the flexibility to keep him around.

Detroit already has long-term deals in place with Miguel Cabrera, Justin Verlander, Ian Kinsler, Anibal Sanchez and Victor Martinez. GM Dave Dombrowski also has to save some dollars to have any chance of re-signing free-agent-to-be David Price.
Tags:

Detroit Tigers, Yoenis Cespedes
Could Craig end up in Anaheim?
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Los Angeles Angels are awaiting word on a possible suspension for outfielder Josh Hamilton, who met with MLB officials last week regarding a disciplinary issue.

For the time being, the Angels will look for solutions in-house, with Matt Joyce the likely candidate for additional playing time. If Joyce, who posted a .254/.349/.383 slash line in 418 at-bats for the Rays last season, does not emerge emerge as a clear-cut replacement, “it certainly opens up the possibility that Allen Craig or even Shane Victorino could be of interest to the Angels,” suggests Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

The Red Sox, of course, have an outfield surplus. Hanley Ramirez, Rusney Castillo and Mookie Betts are the morning-line outfield starters, while the candidates also include Craig, Victorino, Jackie Bradley Jr and Daniel Nava. Bryce Brentz also is waiting his turn in the minor leagues.

Following an All-Star season in St. Louis in 2013, Craig saw his production drop off dramatically, posting a combined .215/.279/.375 slash line for the Cardinals and Red Sox in 2014. Craig also is on the hook for $25.5 million over the next three seasons, which complicates any deal.
Tags:

Shane Victorino, Allen Craig
Will Viciedo last in Toronto?
March, 2, 2015
Mar 2
7:18
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

The Toronto Blue Jays will give an audition to Dayan Viciedo, signing the outfielder to a minor league contract on Sunday and hoping he can find a job somewhere.

The 25-year-old Viciedo hit 21 home runs for the Chicago White Sox last season while batting .231 with 58 RBIs. Viciedo became expendable when Chicago signed former Jays’ outfielder Melky Cabrera.

Viciedo drew the interest of the Jays after outfielder Michael Saunders tore cartilage in his knee last week, but the injury was not as serious as first feared and Saunders will only miss about five to six weeks.

John Lott of the National Post reports manager John Gibbons did not sound overly enthusiastic about the signing. “He was available,” Gibbons said. “He’s got some big-league time in. Been successful, to a certain extent. Bring him to camp, see what he is.”

At this stage, an Opening Day roster spot doesn’t sound like a guarantee. With Saunders back sooner than later, GM Alex Anthopoulos says Viciedo also will compete for a first base-designated hitter slot. "The Blue Jays have talked about giving Edwin Encarnacion, who plays both positions, more time at DH to save his body. Justin Smoak, Daric Barton and Matt Hague are other first base options," according to an AP report.
Tags:

Toronto Blue Jays, Dayan Viciedo
When will the Cubs deal Castillo?
March, 1, 2015
Mar 1
10:01
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Welington Castillo showed up at Mesa, Arizona and is wearing a Chicago Cubs' uniform, but for how much longer?

Castillo, the Cubs’ starting catcher the last two seasons, became expendable when the front office acquired two-time All-Star Miguel Montero from the Diamondbacks at the winter meetings and followed that up by giving a two-year deal to free agent David Ross.

“Let’s play spring training and see how it all plays out. You can go with three catchers, that’s not an impossibility either. It would take a lot of creativity,” manager Joe Maddon told reporters at the start of camp.

The Cubs continue to talk with multiple teams about Castillo, including the Phillies, reported Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. The Cubs can be patient, given Castillo’s market value would rise if and when another team suffers an injury to a catcher during spring training.

Castillo will be dealt, but it's still too early for a deal, writes Nick Cafardo in Sunday's Boston Globe.
Tags:

Welington Castillo
Position battle: Mariners shortstop
March, 1, 2015
Mar 1
9:23
AM ET

Comments
Email
Print

Last spring, the Seattle Mariners came to camp with Brad Miller and Nick Franklin competing for the job of starting shortstop. Miller won the job with a monster performance in Cactus League play (1.314 OPS), but failed to maintain his stroke during the regular season, posting a .221/.288/.365 slash line.

Franklin ended up being traded to Tampa Bay in July as part of three-way blockbuster deal involving David Price, and the Mariners again have an open competition at shortstop.

The candidates:
Brad Miller, age 25, bats left
Chris Taylor, age 24, bats right

Miller: Miller struggled badly out of the gate, batting .158 with 43 strikeouts in 152 at-bats through the end of May. The Orlando, Florida native did bounce back to hit .298 with five homers in June, and the club is not ready to give up on the 2011 second-round pick.

Taylor: Taylor was on the verge of being called up last May, but that was put on hold due to a broken pinky. The call to the big leagues finally came in late July, and Taylor made 47 starts at shortstop down the stretch, batted a solid .287 with a .347 OBP.

Latest update: GM Jack Zduriencik and manager Llyod McClendon never tipped their hand all winter as to who has the upper hand. There was some talk of giving Miller getting Cactus League time in the outfield, but the additions of Seth Smith, Justin Ruggiano and Rickie Weeks have quieted those talks, says Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times.

Current leader: “I think Chris is probably a little ahead of the game defensively, and Brad’s a little ahead of the game offensively. It’s a nice combination. We’ll see what happens," McClendon tells Larry Stone in Sunday's Seattle Times. It will be interesting to see if the Mariners shop the loser of the competition. The Mets reportedly were interested in Miller and Taylor back in December and never completed a deal for a shortstop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles)   ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles) Empty

Back to top Go down

ESPN Insider: March 5, 2015 (VIP articles)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1