HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? Empty
PostSubject: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:04 am

People these days (including me) say that matches like Cena-Orton, Sheamus-Del Rio....ect are boring because they have been done to death. Then I think of old school matches like Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart, Stone Cold vs The Rock, Rock vs HHH, Undertaker vs Kane and they all seemed to have multiple feuds over the years and somehow remained fresh. Hell, the Undertaker-Kane have always started their feuds with Kane attacking Undertaker, essentially the same formula over and over again, yet we love it every time.

So my question to you guys is can a rivalry between say a guy like Cena and Orton or Punk and Bryan stay fresh and yet allow themselves to have multiple matches over the course of several years? I mean we got Rock-Austin at Wrestlemania 3 times, Undertaker-Kane at Mania twice, Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels had several pay per view matches over the years, Rock-HHH practically rose to prominence together.

Can it be done with any of the current crop of guys? Could Daniel Bryan as a face feud with a heel Sheamus in a year and it be better than their feud from last year? Or a Face Punk-Heel Orton feud? We haven't see Cena turn heel so there is always potential for something fresh but lets assume he never turns heel, can his feuds with guys he has already feuded with (Punk, Bryan, Del Rio, Sheamus) somehow be fresh and produce new stories for their future matches? What say you?
Back to top Go down

Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 1:05 pm

The thing that made Rock vs Austin, Shawn vs Bret, and older Kane vs Taker so great was because...

1. They rarely touched each other during the build up to their match at a ppv. idk how many times Sheamus and Del Rio fought on TV before. The more they don't touch, the more the fans want them to beat the shit out of eachother. When they tease contact that just adds more to it.

2. there was time resting between their feuds. Never ever PPV was Austin vs Rock. They would take a break from eachother, sometimes a month, sometimes a year.

3. you never knew who was going to win. Nowadays you can always figure out who will win the matches. Sometimes WWE wil throw you off but it's rarely. With Sheamus vs Del Rio, you knew 80% of the time Sheamus was going to win. with Rock vs Austin you never knew who was going to win.

The only feud I can think of that is on the level of a Rock vs Austin, Hogan vs Flair, Bret vs Shawn, is CM punk vs Cena.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 3:45 pm

^ I agree with most everything you said, however Cena vs Orton also seemed very fitting as a Rock vs. Austin type of rivalry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Part of the problem today is just that people lose heat so quickly. I can't imagine too many people staying interested in any feud that involves Cena, Sheamus or ADR for that long. That, and everything Bull said. How many times did we see Sheamus vs. Del Rio during their feud? And half the matches were very similar, so it got old fast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 7:18 pm

The answer to that is no
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Also sometimes when they have two superstars feuding they like to have them compete in tag team matches and that ruins it for me tbh.

Example: Cena vs Orton Feud

Cena & Superstar vs Orton & Superstar

Not saying this actually happened with this particular feud, but it had happened with other feuds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 7:32 pm

I think it could be done, but it would require smarter, forward-looking booking and two entertaining, charismatic wrestlers. Punk/Bryan, for example, could do it if booked right. The right factors lining up is unlikely, however, especially with today's short attention span audience.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 9:37 pm

I also think they need to change it up... I don't mind seeing guy 1 vs guy 2 a billion times as long as there are different stips involved.
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 am

Yes Thirsty Mofos
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuajhadley.com
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 9:15 pm

Yeah That
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?   Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can a rivalry between two present superstars stay fresh over a course of 5-10 years?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1