HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My take on the WWE's Cruiserweight Division

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Eeyen
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Eeyen

My take on the WWE's Cruiserweight Division Empty
PostSubject: My take on the WWE's Cruiserweight Division   My take on the WWE's Cruiserweight Division EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 8:44 am

Right now they have very few active competitors on the Raw roster that qualify, and even fewer that make sense. I see no benefit to having Finn Balor or Sami Zayn compete for the Cruiserweight Championship.

Here's who they have so far:

1. Neville (194 lb)
2. Sin Cara (180 lb)

... Yep, that's it. If you assume that Enzo Amore won't participate in the Cruiserweight Division and agree with me that there is no sense in guys like Sami Zayn and Finn Balor competing for that title, they have an astonishing two competitors. Obviously, they'll need to fill out the roster with people that can contribute right away, but they also need to bring in long-term solutions as well. They also need to figure out a way to get the Cruiserweight Championship written into the brand. One way to do that would be to have Stephanie McMahon announce that the winner of the Cruiserweight Classic will be awarded the new championship and will immediately brought up to the main roster. Unfortunately the live finale isn't until the middle of September, so the likelihood that WWE will be able to wait that long is fairly low. Still, the winner could be immediately brought up to be a #1 contender.

---

The guys from the Cruiserweight Competition that should be on the radar:

The Right Now:
3. Brian Kendrick (158 lbs)
4. Tajiri (205 lbs)
5. Gran Metalik (180 lbs)
6. Johnny Gargano (190 lbs)
6. TJ Perkins (167 lbs)
7. Tommaso Ciampa (205 lbs)

All of these guys are ready to be on Raw next week... but it would probably be smart to space out their debuts and returns. No one is going to care if the Cruiserweight Division doesn't crown a new champion until Summerslam or even afterward. I would do the unpopular thing and split up Gargano and Ciampa. I think Gargano could be a major singles star in WWE and I think being looped into the Cruiserweights off the bat would be counter-intuitive. Have him spend a year on Smackdown, elevate him there, and bring him back to Raw via the draft if you want him for the Cruiserweight Division.

The Soon:
8. Lince Dorado (171 lbs)
9. Zack Sabre Jr (185 lbs)

I'm just not sold on either of them performing on live TV right this second. If they spent six weeks getting prepared for it at the Performance Center, I'd feel a lot more comfortable. Both, however, would be key contributors before the end of the year.

The After Some Time In NXT:
Cedric Alexander (200 lbs)
Drew Gulak (202 lbs)
Jack Gallagher (189 lbs)
Akira Tozawa (205 lbs)

All of these guys are great talents that could benefit from a year in NXT. Cedric specifically could become a bigger star in NXT with the focus on him. Gulak's no-nonsense style should be established to the crowd by more than just a tournament. Both could see significant character development from waiting a year. Tozawa might not need the year, but WWE could use him to cover for losing Hideo Itami. Gallagher could use a year or more to refine his craft and learn the WWE style.

---

The NXT Call-up:
10. Hideo Itami (182 lbs)

Hideo should have been one of the call-ups for the draft, and should certainly be a fall call-up for the Cruiserweight Roster.

---

This leaves us with...

Neville
Sin Cara
Brian Kendrick
Tajiri
Gran Metalik
TJ Perkins
Tommaso Ciampa
Lince Dorado
Zack Sabre Jr
Hideo Itami