HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA Empty
PostSubject: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 7:48 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/175-million-call-of-duty-games-sold-to-date-still-/1100-6426188/

Quote :
With $11 billion in total lifetime revenue, the Call of Duty franchise is one of the biggest in all of gaming. But how many copies of the series have been sold to date? Activision clued us in today, announcing via a new infographic that, since the series debuted over a decade ago, it has sold 175 million Call of Duty games.

That comes out to around one copy sold every two minutes, Activision said.

By comparison, Take-Two's Grand Theft Auto series has sold more than 185 million copies.

Other franchises to have sold more than 100 million units include household names such as LEGO, Mario, Pokemon, Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, and FIFA.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has sold 60 million Halo games while Konami has shifted 33 million Metal Gear Solid titles, according to each publisher's latest count.

Going back to the Call of Duty infographic, over 100 billion multiplayer matches have been played so far, while players have chucked more than 300 billion grenades. On top of that, players have earned 579 billion in-game awards, which is more than five times the number of stars in the Milky Way galaxy.

The next Call of Duty game, in development at Black Ops creator Treyarch, will be released later this year. Activision announced the title during an earnings call earlier this year. Little is known about the game, but Activision historically blows the lid off new Call of Duty games in May, so gamers may not have to wait much longer to learn more about it.
Back to top Go down
TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 10:42 pm

I love how the article insinuates that those two are #1 and #2, when Mario and Pokemon both have way more.
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Yeah Mario had a big head start on everyone else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuajhadley.com
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 7:03 am

Nintendo doesn't exist NAH
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 8:06 am

TJ wrote:
I love how the article insinuates that those two are #1 and #2, when Mario and Pokemon both have way more.

TIME FOR SOME MATH. Now... here's where it's going to get tricky. There are of course spin-offs and expansion packs. So I'm only doing games in the main series.

Grand Theft Auto = 7 games.
Call of Duty = 11 games.
Mario = The "Super Mario" is the main series. So 15 games. (Again, not including ports as those count as re-releases)
Pokemon = Technically, games such as "FireRed" & "HeartGold" & "Omega Ruby" are considered main. So 25 games.

I'm using VGChartz to assist me with the sales.

Grand Theft Auto = Roughly 122.83M - This article lists a lot more, but again, spin-offs aren't counted in mine.
Call of Duty = Roughly 196.58M - Even though this article says 175M. Is it going by global? I don't know. I am. Also, I don't think they're including spin-offs in this article. So I'm not too sure how they came up with these numbers.

So for Grand Theft Auto, if you take 122.83M and divide it by 7, you get 17.55M. As for Call of Duty, 196.58M divided by 11 gets you 17.87M.

Therefore, not by much though, the main series of Call of Duty is beating Grand Theft Auto. But it also took them four more games. Now what about Nintendo?

Mario = Roughly 209.05M.
Pokemon = Roughly 189.36M.

So for Mario, if you take 209.05M and divide it by 15, you get 13.94M. As for Pokemon, 189.36M divided by 25 gets you 7.57M.

So in other words, without all those spin-offs, and re-releases, and the fact that Mario has over 250+ games and only 15 are in the core series, Mario would not be selling as much as CoD or GTA. And Pokemon is just way down there. Their highest selling non-main series game is Pokemon Stadium at 5.45M.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am

Every CoD is a spin off of the last one, so in my book, they've only ever sold the first one I aint bothered
Back to top Go down
TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 10:40 am

You're splitting Pokemon games into two. Red and Blue are one game. X and Y are one game. Cut that 25 by about half.
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Good point TJ. I'm actually going to redo it and list the games this time because I'm bored and am legit curious as to what sells more. So my numbers may be more accurate as well.
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Time to do it more in-depth! Again, not including spin-offs or expansion packs. If some games re-release onto newer systems, I will include those. And yes, I'll take into account the Pokemon games like TJ said. Here's the layout:

NAME OF GAME - CONSOLE(S) - AMOUNT SOLD GLOBALLY

Of course these numbers are loosely based, as some things come up saying they sold 0.00 which can't be right. These games aren't E.T. on Atari after all.

Grand Theft Auto (7 Games)
Spoiler:

Call of Duty (11 Games)
Spoiler:

Super Mario (16 Games)
Spoiler:

Pokemon (14 Games)
Spoiler:

In order of most games sold:
1) Super Mario - 266.36M
2) Call of Duty - 201.96M
3) Pokemon - 189.36M
4) Grand Theft Auto - 129.94M

But based on averages:
1) Grand Theft Auto - 18.56M
2) Call of Duty - 18.36M
3) Super Mario - 16.66M
4) Pokemon - 13.53M

So yes, Super Mario does sell a lot. But it also took them 16 Main Games to get to 266.36M. (And of course this doesn't include the numerous spin-offs and different types of games such as Party, Kart, Tennis, etc..) But GTA only has 7 Main Games and is at 129.94M. We can assume that at 14 Main Games, it'd be 259.88M. Which means if it had 16 Main Games to match Super Mario, it would be outselling Super Mario.

Same goes for CoD. CoD is short by 64.4M, but also has 5 games less. We could assume that at 16 Main Games to match Super Mario, it would be outselling Super Mario just like GTA.

Even though Mario does sell a lot, statistically, GTA & CoD sell better. (Also sell better than Pokemon. After all, Pokemon has double the amount of GTA games, but only has 59.42M more.)
Back to top Go down
TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Fair enough I guess.
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 5:33 pm

TJ wrote:
Fair enough I guess.

175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA 03a
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Man I'm am so raging right now Thirsty Mofos
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuajhadley.com
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 5:49 pm

MooseNugget wrote:
Man I'm am so raging right now Thirsty Mofos

Moose right now:

175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA 2832655240989509643.jpeg?v=1319789458
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA   175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA Empty

Back to top Go down

175 Million Call of Duty Games Sold to Date, Still Fewer Than GTA

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1