HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 am

My latest column in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review looks at my pet peeves in professional wrestling and wrestlers. The following is an excerpt:

My career is great in that I get to watch professional wrestling for a living. I love it.

But as with anything you love, it’s impossible not to have pet peeves and annoyances with something you’re around so much.

This is Volume 1 of my pet peeves — and major, psychotic hatreds — with professional wrestling and wrestlers:

MAKING THE CROWD CLAP

You see a lot of this on the independent scene.

At the start of the match, the good guy starts the methodical clap to get fans to start clapping for him. This always bothered me and came off weak.

Legendary wrestler Dominic DeNucci once said it perfectly to me. He said, “You shouldn’t have to tell the people to clap for you.”

He’s right. The babyface and their heel opponent should already have done more to establish and get people interested in who they should cheer for.

TOO MANY SUPERKICKS

The Young Bucks drive me nuts with this. Please stop using the superkick every fourth move in the big comeback and go-home portions of matches.

Adding to my frustration, often times the guys who are guilty of this — Young Bucks included — are physically capable can doing so much in the ring. They have a larger repertoire than most, but I see kick after kick.

There is a line where going back to the well of a signature move a few times has its place in a story of persistence. However, too often the line is crossed and diminishes the significance of the kick and takes me out of the match on a count of annoyance.

DUMB TWITTER HANDLES

Once again, this a problem on the lower levels, and it screams “amateur.” If you’re a professional wrestler and want to have a Twitter account, be consistent with your gimmick.

If it means you need separate accounts for your gimmick and real life, do that.

It does no good for a wrestling promotion to tweet about you being a wrestler being at the show and it looks like it’s his AOL Instant Messenger screen name being promoted.

I should be able to tell who a wrestler is from his Twitter handle. It doesn’t have to be his name, but it should be somewhat relevant to his name, nickname or gimmick. I don’t want to hear about the most dangerous cage match ever this Saturday featuring @CoolGJuice51287.

The same rule applies to booking emails for promoters to hire and pay wrestlers to work their show. Create a professional looking email with your wrestling name easily identified in it.

CLICK HERE to read more pet peeves in the full column.

http://triblive.com/sports/prowrestling/7980957-74/match-commercial-professional#axzz3UW4oGbRz
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Yeah, the Superkicks thing pisses me off. A typical Usos match has about 50 of them <_<

But mine are...

- During an entrance, TNA just cuts a wrestler's music off clean instead of fading it out. Irritated me for fucking years <_<
- When cutting a promo, a wrestler lowers his mic every two seconds, looks away, and then rises it up again. STOP IT.
- The Bellas.
- The Hell in a Cell being as tall as the arena it's in...
- People in WWE backstage promos never acknowledging the camera is right in front of them.
- When a wrestler is in his wrestling gear...but doesn't wrestle.
- When a wrestler returns in his wrestling gear (ie. in a "surprise" return in a run in). What, you wearing that all the time you been gone?
- Commentators having zero knowledge of wrestling moves and holds "GREAT SLAM!" <_<
- When commentators go silent during a segment. I get it makes it seem more "dramatic", but not saying anything at all ruins it for me.

And I'm sure there is a shit ton more <_<
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity
Minkaro

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Chilly wrote:
- When a wrestler returns in his wrestling gear (ie. in a "surprise" return in a run in). What, you wearing that all the time you been gone?

Because it is physically impossible to change into wrestling gear at an arena.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/MinkaroXIV
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 12:58 pm

I don't mean that. I mean why would you wear wrestling gear...when you ain't, you know, wrestling? Makes little sense to me...unless you're Cena, who actually does wear his wrestling gear all the time lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 2:07 pm

could also put too many Suicide Dives
Back to top Go down
Eeyen
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Eeyen

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Undercard champions losing matches clean

Tag teams being thrown together, generally with some comedic backstory.
Back to top Go down
MFiSG
Middle Carder
MFiSG

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Completely agree with superkicks. And everyone does them now: Ziggler does it. Harper does it. Rusev does it. Uso's do it. Superkicks get less super once you see 8 of them on RAW.

Referee bumps. I'm fine with the idea of the ref getting knocked out during the match, but the execution is always awful. Like I'm supposed to believe a ref is completely KO'd when someone grabs his foot during a count and drags him off the apron. Funny

Heels staring blankly into the audience every two minutes. Randy Orton was horrible for this; he'd drop Cena with a move or two then stare out into the booing crowd. Then he'd stomp on Cena a few times and stare out into the booing crowd. Heels can be cocky and in control, but doing that too much just drags out the match and kills any and all momentum it had.

Any time a wrestler doesn't wear wrist tape or knee pads. That shit just ain't right. Here's looking at you, Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes. Shaking Head
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 12:03 pm

^
The worst ref bump I've ever seen was the one between Taker and Triple H at WM 17. Mike Chioda was out for like 15 minutes Funny

Wrist tape thing annoys me too. Not particularly that exactly, but when I wrestler has nothing on their upper half of their body in general. They look odd imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves   Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves Empty

Back to top Go down

Professional Wrestling Pet Peeves

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1