HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Myke Review: Dark Souls II

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

Myke Review: Dark Souls II Empty
PostSubject: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 12:45 am

Fuck this fucking goddamn fucking rage game fucking shit fuck ass.
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 am

What happened in the game? itchy head 
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuajhadley.com
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:18 am

Hah, why did I expect something exactly like this before I came in here? Funny
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 am

MooseNugget wrote:
What happened in the game? itchy head 

In Dark Souls, one levels up using souls at bonfires. You gain souls by killing enemies. If you die, you lose your souls (but can regain them should you go back to the spot you died and pick them up before dying again.)

Dark Souls II is similar in that sense, except you have to now talk to some chick to level up. The chick is damn near impossible to spot because she blends in with a fucking tree. And apparently you can't use all bonfires to level up now.

The game is notorious for not telling you what you need to do / where you need to go. So here I am, killing enemies and getting my souls to over 4,000 (which in the beginning of the game, is a lot) and I'm confused as to why I can't level up.

Then I died.
And I died again before regaining my souls.
I didn't find out about the chick until I cheated and said "Fuck this I'm looking up why the fuck I can't level up."
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 8:13 am

I'd never play Dark Souls as I think it would just frustrate me way too much, which can't be good for your health Funny
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 2:50 pm

And they say tutorials suck Thirsty Mofos 
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuajhadley.com
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 6:36 pm

MooseNugget wrote:
And they say tutorials suck Thirsty Mofos 

Dark Souls approaches tutorials as "Here's a bunch of easy enemies where if you die, that's pathetic. We'll tell you how to attack, roll, etc.. but nothing else. Once you leave this area, everything's power increases by 200%."
Back to top Go down
StraightEdge Rurouni
WTF Its StraightEdge
StraightEdge Rurouni

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 4:55 am

I haven't even beaten the tutorial boss from the first one yet.  I just get my ass kicked multiple times before putting it down to avoid raging.
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:01 am

Consult Helix wrote:
I haven't even beaten the tutorial boss from the first one yet.  I just get my ass kicked multiple times before putting it down to avoid raging.

If you're talking Dark Souls II, there is no tutorial boss. Those ogre-like creatures (there's three of them) are what I call mini-bosses. Mini-bosses are enemies that are much stronger in the area than the other enemies, however they don't respawn when you use a bonfire. So those ogre-like creatures are optional. After defeating the first boss, I came back to kill the bastards. It was still tough.

The tutorial in DS2 is "Things Betwixt" - once you leave, tutorial's done. Head for "The Forest of Fallen Giants" next because the other area (which I forgot the name of right now, but it has huge stone knights) is too difficult once you finish the tutorial. When you see a white knight against a tree in the forest area, he too is a mini-boss. Those white knights drop decent weapons though.

Also as an update for this: I made this into a drinking game. Every time I got pissed, yelled at my TV or whatever, I took a shot of vodka.

Ironically enough, I believe it made me better.
Back to top Go down
StraightEdge Rurouni
WTF Its StraightEdge
StraightEdge Rurouni

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 am

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:51 am

Oh you're talking about Dark Souls 1.

How to do that boss: when you enter the room he drops down from, immediately head left. There's a doorway. Go through there. It continues the tutorial. Go through that crap and when you get on the perch in the room with him, do a plunge attack. That gets rid of a lot of his health, then it's just a matter of timed rolls and attacks.

Or you can do it the easiest way: start a character with black firebombs. You get 10. He needs 5 to kill him. But then you don't get the other cool items.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:37 pm

I just got Dark Souls II last week (I was a huge fan of the first and of Demon's Souls). I discovered the Belltower yesterday and proceeded to rush to the top and ring it (because fuck that midget telling me not to), ran through the fog gate and marked the hell out. The following battle took me 40 minutes and I still lost and nearly dropped my controller to applaud. There's just nothing like this game.

Also, while I love the game and so many things about it, it seems quite a bit easier than the others. I've taken down about 5 bosses solo now and only enlisted the NPC against one while I practically had Brolaire on speeddial throughout the first...
Back to top Go down
Methylated Spirit
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Methylated Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 6:06 am

Dark Souls II AKA learn to magic.

I'm on my third playthrough, magic is over powered taking down most bosses with 2-4 shots at higher levels. If you insist on melee strafe towards the weapon arm, 9/10 the swing ends up missing you, add some blocking and rolling and you'll be fine.

Game needs so many patches though it's ridiculous. The new poise system pisses me off as anything stunlocks you and that means death -_-
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer
Myke

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 9:58 am

They're coming out with a patch. Or they actually did it yesterday.

Magic is overpowered though. My first playthrough was with a melee tank and that was difficult as fuck. Heavy armor, high stamina, etc.. I was able to withstand attacks and junk, but it was just so ridiculously hard.

Now I'm doing a magic playthrough. I've been able to kill twelve bosses without dying in their fights, minus the Executioner's Chariot except the skeletons killed me cheaply by cornering me to the point where the chariot was even missing them. Once I did it again and got to the actual boss, it was easy.

OP Magic FTW.
Back to top Go down
Methylated Spirit
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Methylated Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 am

Climax and Great Resonant Soul e'erybody.
Casting's ruined PVP. I can't have a decent fight with other players if spells all one-shot you.
Though randomly invading to piss players off has become a lot more fun.

EDIT: Kill the first Necromancer and hide in his concave, kill his skeleton buddies. Shoot some magic towards the Chariot. Eventually it misses the jump and one hit causes the chariot to fall to its death. It's how I beat it with my caster as it stops you getting overwhelmed by scumbag skeletons.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Myke wrote:
They're coming out with a patch. Or they actually did it yesterday.

Magic is overpowered though. My first playthrough was with a melee tank and that was difficult as fuck. Heavy armor, high stamina, etc.. I was able to withstand attacks and junk, but it was just so ridiculously hard.

Now I'm doing a magic playthrough. I've been able to kill twelve bosses without dying in their fights, minus the Executioner's Chariot except the skeletons killed me cheaply by cornering me to the point where the chariot was even missing them. Once I did it again and got to the actual boss, it was easy.

OP Magic FTW.

I'm essentially doing the melee tank approach. My stamina is only 100 though (it seems silly to level up for only 2 more a pop..). Some bosses give/gave me hell (Pursuer and The Rotten must have wrecked me at least a dozen times each.. and I've given up on the Lost Sinner until I get some better equipment, as well as the Chariot). Kill me once without me landing a hit.. shame on me. Kill me TWICE without me landing a hit.. I'll get back to you later..

Also, I've thankfully been spared the pain of invasions because my internet is out at home. Of course, that also means having to solo some bosses, but I'd say a little over half the ones I've faced so far have been simple enough to take down in one or two go's. Roll, slash, roll (blocking instead if the shot doesn't eat too much stamina) has served me pretty damn well so far.

The only bad part about flying blind so far is that I have no idea how the special stones work. I've not yet had the chance to make a regular weapon into a fire one or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
Methylated Spirit
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Methylated Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 2:03 pm

^Need "Dull Ember" and give that to McDuff. If your internet picks up and you're still struggling with Sinny, give me a message on PSN with your Soul Memory, if it's close enough to one of my character's I'll give you a hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks. I might have to take you up on that sometime. I've managed to take down almost every boss I've faced so far without any help (unless an NPC summon was near and I found it). I -would- say EVERY boss... but there's that goddamn Smelter...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Myke Review: Dark Souls II   Myke Review: Dark Souls II Empty

Back to top Go down

Myke Review: Dark Souls II

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1