HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Dragon Fx
KingofSwing
KingofSwing
Dragon Fx

NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur Empty
PostSubject: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday on ESPN Radio that the NFL will not punish Riley Cooper for his use of a racial slur, while the Philadelphia Eagles announced later in the day that the wide receiver would undergo sensitivity training.

"Obviously we stand for diversity and inclusion. Comments like that, they are obviously wrong, they are offensive and they are unacceptable. There is no one that feels stronger about that than the NFL, our teams and our players," he said on the "Mike and Mike" program.

ESPN NFL reporter Sal Paolantonio dishes on the Eagles' reaction to Riley Cooper's apology for using a racial slur, whether Philadelphia's discipline of Cooper was enough, Michael Vick's comments and more.

"He has accepted responsibility for it. He has spoken to his team. He has been disciplined by the club and will go through some training with the club to understand," he continued.

"I'm glad to see the club stepped up and took a decisive action quickly. That's the important part of this. We do not penalize at the club level and the league level for the same incident ... that's something we have an agreement in our collective bargaining agreement not to do. So we will not be taking action separately from the club."

The Eagles released a statement Thursday confirming that Cooper would be enrolled in sensitivity training.

"In meeting with Riley yesterday, we decided together that his next step will be to seek outside assistance to help him fully understand the impact of his words and actions. He needs to reflect. As an organization, we will provide the resources he needs to do so," the team said.

Saying he was "ashamed and disgusted" with himself, Cooper apologized repeatedly Wednesday for making a racial slur at a Kenny Chesney concert last month that was caught on video and led to him getting fined an undisclosed amount.

The wide receiver, however, said he was fined a significant amount by the team, whose owner, Jeffrey Lurie, said he was "appalled" by Cooper's words.

The video of Cooper using the N-word surfaced Wednesday on the Internet. Cooper issued a statement of apology, then met with reporters outside the team's practice facility.

"This is the lowest of lows,'' Cooper said. "This is not the type of person I want to be portrayed as. This isn't the type of person I am. I'm extremely sorry.''

Cooper said he was drinking when he directed the slur at an African-American security guard at the concert in June.

"That's no excuse for what I said. I don't use that term," he said. "I was raised better than that. I have a great mom and dad, and they're disgusted with my actions."

Cooper I don't use that term. I was raised better than that. I have a great mom and dad, and they're disgusted with my actions.
” -- Riley Cooper

Cooper had tentatively moved into a starting role after Jeremy Maclin tore his right ACL in practice Saturday. Still, he's not guaranteed a roster spot in coach Chip Kelly's new offense.

"I'm willing to accept all consequences,'' Cooper said. "I know no one in Philadelphia is happy with me right now. I accept that. I hope they see the true me and accept my apology. I know it will take a while."

Cooper apologized to teammates after talking to the media.

"As a team we understood because we all make mistakes in life, and we all do and say things that maybe we do mean and maybe we don't mean,'' Eagles quarterback Michael Vick said.

"But as a teammate I forgave him. We understand the magnitude of the situation. We understand a lot of people may be hurt and offended, but I know Riley Cooper. I know him as a man. I've been with him for the last three years, and I know what type of person he is. That's what makes it easy, and at the same time, hard to understand. But easy to forgive him."

Vick also rebuked his brother, Marcus Vick, for profanity-laced tweets, including one offering a $1,000 bounty for any player who lays Cooper out in a game. Marcus Vick later deleted all the tweets.

"To address my brother's situation and what he's saying, I don't think it's really relevant," Michael Vick said. "You can't allow yourself to be encumbered in what's going on. I don't agree with what my brother is saying. Riley is still my teammate, and he just stood in front of us and apologized for what he said. Somewhere deep down you've got to find some level of respect for that. To people in the outside world who don't know how we're dealing with it, they're going to forge their own opinions, but my brother has to not show a certain level of ignorance himself."

Chesney reached out to ESPN.com senior writer LZ Granderson about the incident and said he was "shocked as anyone to see the video."

"I don't believe in discrimination in any form, and I think using language like that is not only unacceptable, it is hateful beyond words," Chesney told Granderson.
Back to top Go down
Mexi
TRU
TRU
Mexi

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:36 pm

This nigga. Really
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Where was the NFL when Roddy White was telling jurors to go commit suicide on Twitter? Oh wait...
Back to top Go down
Leo
Cenation
Cenation
Leo

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:50 pm

NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur Riley-cooper-racist-kkk-uniform

Back to top Go down
http://www.xwa-universe.com

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:58 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 pm

LMAO @ the KKK thing Funny

Favorite Current Wrestlers:
1. Sasha Banks
2. Becky Lynch

Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
Your dad
Back to top Go down
Mexi
TRU
TRU
Mexi

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Dead wrote:
Where was the NFL when Roddy White was telling jurors to go commit suicide on Twitter? Oh wait...
You gotta understand that racism caught on tape is more frowned upon than some guy raging on twitter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 pm

And you gotta understand the context of it, it doesnt matter if it was on tape or in text, people were told to kill themselves because of an outcome that wasnt liked. Its still being said, so there should be some sort of punishment for it.
Back to top Go down
Dragon Fx
KingofSwing
KingofSwing
Dragon Fx

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:25 pm

But the NFL is not punishing Cooper. Indifferent

And besides, a lot of these NFL players say a lot worse on Twitter on a daily basis.
Back to top Go down
Mexi
TRU
TRU
Mexi

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Dead wrote:
And you gotta understand the context of it, it doesnt matter if it was on tape or in text, people were told to kill themselves because of an outcome that wasnt liked. Its still being said, so there should be some sort of punishment for it.
So you're talking about context. Do you honestly think Roddy wanted them to commit suicide? Or was it a way to express his anger at their decision. And Riley Cooper wasn't suspended either, fuck it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 am

Lol, so what? It still shouldnt of been SAID, thats the POINT. And the Eagles fined him, by the CBA the league cant punish him after the team does, thats why the NFL hasnt.
Back to top Go down
Mexi
TRU
TRU
Mexi

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Dead wrote:
Lol, so what? It still shouldnt of been SAID, thats the POINT. And the Eagles fined him, by the CBA the league cant punish him after the team does, thats why the NFL hasnt.
Shouldn't be said, but Roddy didn't genuinely say it. Cooper didn't stutter when he used that word. That's the difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur   NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur Empty

Back to top Go down

NFL won't punish Cooper over racial slur

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1