HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Luigi
Show Opener
Luigi

Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  Empty
PostSubject: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 21, 2015 7:24 pm

Do you think Kofi Kingston is worth building as a main event Superstar in WWE?

KOFI KINGSTON RANT

My answer is yes:
Kofi Kingston has been in WWE for 7 years. Since 2008, he became a four-time Intercontinental Champion, three-time United States Champion and a four-time Tag Team Champion. The only championship Kofi Kingston never won was the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Once the New Day gimmick dies, Kofi Kingston would most likely be stuck in the midcard again. WWE lacks top black stars and if you change his look, cut his hair, make him grow a beard, change his theme song, change his move-set (but keep Trouble In Paradise as finisher) and wear badass clothes instead of high flyer tights, I think it's a step in the right direction towards a top star spot. Before the WWE, Kofi Kingston was an angry Jamaican heel. A gimmick I think he should have because it's very much the opposite of his previous "S.O.S/Boom" gimmick from 2008 to 2014 and that would change the way people think about Kofi Kingston. The guy who was always smiling and doing high flying moves, putting smiles on people's faces is now going to be the guy who never smiles (only smirks angrily when seeing someone in pain), rarely does high flying moves, cheats to win, takes shortcuts and a guy who feels resentment for not being in the main event of WWE after all those years of being in the company. So here's a little storyline I came up with:

Every week, a new superstar is knocked out cold backstage and taken to the hospital where the doctors see signs of blunt force trauma to the head. Many in WWE want to know who is behind those assaults but they just keep happening without any witnesses. WWE realizes the victims are only former World Champions like Mark Henry, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena, Randy Orton, Jack Swagger and so on. After weeks of this happening, there's finally someone backstage who witnesses a dark-skinned male wearing a bandana over his nose, mouth and neck tied around his head. The witness, who is part of the backstage staff says he saw him come out of nowhere from behind and did a jumping corkscrew roundhouse kick to the back of the victim's head and just disappeared really quickly by turning the corner. Some victims are only hurt for a week and come back the next show but some like Dolph Ziggler and Mark Henry are out of action due to concussions to set up a revenge/payback storyline for later feuds.

When special guests are on RAW, they are found stunned on the floor backstage. Guys like Hulk Hogan, Chris Jericho, Edge, Christian, etc. Taking out legendary former World champions but this time he's gone too far. WWE hires an investigator (actor) to put an end to this and find out who is behind those attacks. From an out-of-focus surveillance video footage, the investigator catches the attacker doing the jumping corkscrew roundhouse kick to the back of Randy Orton's head but can't recognize the black man as he quickly disappears from the camera angle. The investigation continues during the following weeks and they find a bandana in the trash similar to the one the black guy in the video was wearing. A forensic analysis extracts enough DNA from the bandana and the investigator gets a sample of all dark-skinned employees to hopefully find a match (It's not racist because the video footage and the eyewitness proved it was a dark-skinned male). The DNA results show that the saliva on the bandana is a match to the saliva of a certain WWE superstar who they never thought would do this. The investigator (actor) who has been working on this mystery does a speech to the camera to reveal who the saliva is a match to. The scene is set backstage where the Investigator looks into the camera while holding his notes. "We have the name of the person behind those attacks and we are shocked. We never expected this, but the evidence doesn't lie. The saliva we found on the bandana is a match to a WWE superstar here in the WWE. That superstar's name is Ko..." *BAM* the Investigator gets kicked in the back of the head before he can pronounce the full first name. A way more badass looking Kofi Kingston who looks pissed appears on the TV screen. He looks straight into the camera and confesses his attacks and talks about his hatred towards former World Champions, asking why there aren't more black WWE Champions and that he's here to change that. He targets the WWE World Heavyweight Champion by saying he's the next victim and he's gonna hit when his opponent least expects it.  Suddenly, Kofi Kingston's gimmick becomes a guy who does dangerous out of nowhere sneak attacks that take you out in a second by using... Trouble in Paradise to the back of the head for greater impact! Change the finisher name as well to Trouble in Hell or Trouble in Mind.. or not, idk but anyways...that puts the entire WWE locker room on notice and they should watch their backs 24/7 as long as Kofi is around.

What do you guys think about this rant? It is realistic or is the idea is too wild?  Also, let me know your thoughts on the question above. Thanks.

Last edited by Luigi on Thu May 28, 2015 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eeyen
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Eeyen

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 21, 2015 11:30 pm

No I don't think so. He's a high flier but not a natural talker and not naturally charismatic. Once the crowd has seen all his shtick he has no real staying power. Sure, he should have gotten hotter than he did and he should have been used better, but I don't see the talent there for a legitimate main event run.
Back to top Go down
Go ills go
Icon
Go ills go

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyFri May 22, 2015 4:02 am

^ That

He got close in that Orton feud years ago but main event spotlight just isn't for him IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wrestling-united.com

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyFri May 22, 2015 4:35 am

He'd be a perfect Mid-Card Singles Title competitor in some uncommon gimmicked matches. (Defending US / IC titles in Cages / Cell / Chamber for example, considering his moveset, it would be an interesting combo, IMO.

If you'd love to see him having a run as a main-eventer, considering he's not an awesome talker (although he's gotten really good), pair him with a nice "advocate". Have him be the first African-American Superstar managed by Paul Heyman to grab a world title in the WWE. (this would be interesting, IMO.)
Back to top Go down
Luigi
Show Opener
Luigi

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyFri May 22, 2015 3:44 pm

I'd love to see him as a main eventer considering his wrestling abilities and the 5 star PPV matches he can have with Seth Rollins, Daniel Bryan, John Cena, Dean Ambrose and so on. I think Kofi is underrated and I'd rather see Kofi Kingston in the main event instead of Big E or R-Truth or Titus O'Neil or even Mark Henry!
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyFri May 22, 2015 6:58 pm

I think he could work as a heel, but not as a face.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyFri May 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Die. That is all I gotta say about the first post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 11:50 am

I think he could have, but the problem is tho is Kofi as a face was too much of a 1D character. But that is the problem with a lot of WWE characters tho too cookie cutter on both sides. Back in 09 He was showing some progress but after being called stupid and got RKO'd into mid card hell.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:04 pm

Some people come along and they have that X Factor...they have "it". Even then, some people don't have "it" but connect enough with the crowd to push them forwards.

He has neither. Yes, he can leap around and think of clever ways not to be eliminated each year in the Rumble, but whenever I hear him talk, I want to slap him. He has no personality or charisma and he's just boring to watch in general. He was never going to become a main eventer, Orton doing that stupid shit in a match or not. He just looked downright odd to me being in a feud that wasn't just for a mid card title. He's like RVD; if the storyline isn't based around a title, he's useless.

You can also dress him however you wish, he'll still not draw. And the whole New Day crap has made him 100% cringe worthy now...

Also lol @ that first paragraph. It basically states to change everything possible about him and he'll be a star. If someone needs THAT much of a drastic makeover, it tells you the entire story right away lol.
Back to top Go down
Luigi
Show Opener
Luigi

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 7:20 pm

ChollyD32 wrote:
Also lol @ that first paragraph. It basically states to change everything possible about him and he'll be a star. If someone needs THAT much of a drastic makeover, it tells you the entire story right away lol.

That's not really what I said. If someone needs THAT much of a drastic change in his character, it's Kofi Kingston. The guy had the same gimmick for years! 7 to be exact. Kofi Kingston reminds me of John Cena and Rey Mysterio where a heel turn would be shocking for the fans as no one would expect it and it would get people buzzing. Yes, of course he needs to change everything possible about him because everything about him has been the same since his debut! And then, he MIGHT have a change to get people talking about him and be over as a top heel. He only needs the makeover to switch things up, be a different kind of Kofi Kingston that nobody seen before.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 28, 2015 7:47 am

Yes, he does, but the thing it a true talent never needs THAT much of a makeover. People change/transition into different gimmicks all the time, but they usually only change one or two key aspects about themselves in order to find that missing piece of the puzzle.

Kofi is missing virtually all pieces of that puzzle. WWE would be far more wiser in investing into other talent that clearly have potential. Kofi is a midcard kiddy pleaser and that's all he'll ever be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 28, 2015 8:42 am

Quote :
Yes, he does, but the thing it a true talent never needs THAT much of a makeover.
Hmmm:

No but seriously. Tons of WWE characters suffered huge changes and either got over with the crowd OR not really. There's the 50/50 chance there. "A good" superstar is a guy that can play the Roles he's given to. (Remember Kevin Nash during his early stages?) Even Triple H needed an extensive "remake" (Terraryzing > Jean-Paul Lévesque > Triple H).
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 28, 2015 8:51 am

Actually, all the ones you just mentioned still had the core still there (I don't count anything that didn't debut in WWE, such as Prototype for Cena). I'm not just talking gimmick wise, I'm talking about the entire package.

Triple H is a good example. His gimmick changed from Blue Blood to Degenerate, but his in-ring set/style and appearance stayed the same. That's two key aspects that didn't need to change in order for him to become a star, but he changed his gimmick, and he rose up. The same applies to everyone you mentioned there. I could say Sting is another great example. Surfer gimmick changed to Crow gimmick, are two entirely different things. But his personality, mic skills, charisma and in ring set/style never changed because they were already established and over with the crowd. You could still recognise many aspects about him from his previous run.

Of course, there are always exceptions, but on average when a wrestler needs an entire overhaul to the point where even his moves/style need changing along with everything else, I think it's a lost cause. My core point is, if someone needs to change a billion things about them to the point they are unrecognisable entirely, something isn't clicking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 28, 2015 12:19 pm

At this point in his career, it's probably too late. However, I think Kofi could have gotten a lot father than he did a few years ago without much change. His feud with Orton had me thinking at the time he could be a top tier guy. Not the "face of the company" or whatever, but somebody around that level who holds the title a few times and gets beat by rising stars to show their legitimacy. A more serious song and maybe some less loud gear would've been about all he really needed. Maybe pairing him with a mouthpiece (I'm thinking a diva who can talk, though just who isn't coming immediately to mind, but not Heyman), then having commentary put over his Trouble in Paradise like they do the RKO. Let him catch guys out of the air with it, or hit it in new and interesting ways. He might should've dropped the Boom Drop, or at least the goofy shoulder pop, but I don't think too much else about him would've needed changing.

Now it's a different story, though. Maybe he could pick up some new direction from the New Day and use it to complicate his character, but right now it's hard to picture him getting any higher than he currently is on the card.
Back to top Go down
Luigi
Show Opener
Luigi

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 28, 2015 4:51 pm

When a guy is THAT much of a babyface and looks like a cartoon character that kids like and you want to turn him heel, yes, you need THAT much of a drastic change when it comes to your appearance. You remove everything that the kids like, the colors, the high flying and the pyro in the entrance. The move-set can be the same, I'm just saying he needs to use less of the high flying moves so he doesn't get cheered. Similar to Rollins's move-set. As for trouble in paradise, he should keep it but do it from behind to switch things up. If this idea happened, it would be a breath of fresh air for a stale character like Kofi Kingston.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Kofi Kingston is a bi-product of not being pushed during the brand extension. People have always said, you're given the ball on Smackdown to see if you can run with it before you moved over to Raw, and he probably should of been given a chance. If you can put the WHC on someone like Great Khali, you should be able to put the title on anyone that's slightly over or slightly talented enough to run with it.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  EmptyThu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

The belt was put on Khali for the main reason of trying to get fans in India to watch. Last time I heard, they adore him over there. That and the previous champion before had to vacate, if I remember correctly.

Him winning really had nothing to do with talent, purely money in mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?    Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Kofi Kingston be a top star in WWE as a heel?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1