HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gerrard admits to painful parting from beloved Anfield

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Gerrard admits to painful parting from beloved Anfield Empty
PostSubject: Gerrard admits to painful parting from beloved Anfield   Gerrard admits to painful parting from beloved Anfield EmptySun May 17, 2015 9:53 am

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard admitted he is devastated that he will not play competitively at Anfield again.

The 34-year-old's final appearance at the ground before his summer move to the Los Angeles Galaxy ended in a disappointing 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace.

Gerrard was at least given a fitting send off, with a guard of honour, mosaics and songs sung in his honour.

"It felt very strange," he said after the match.

"I've been dreading this moment, I will miss it so much. I have loved every minute and I am devastated that I will not play in front of these supporters again."

Liverpool wasted the chance to end Gerrard's 17-year Anfield career on a high after Adam Lallana's opener was superseded by goals from Jason Puncheon, Wilfried Zaha and Glenn Murray's added-time penalty rebound.

"He got a wonderful send off and did everything right until the very end," said manager Brendan Rodgers of his captain.

"He has been a wonderful player and gave his all for the club.

"The result was disappointing. We made poor defensive errors today across the field and got punished at the end of the first half and in the second half we didn't defend well enough.

"Their attacking players posed us problems and we didn't cope well enough."

Back to top Go down

Gerrard admits to painful parting from beloved Anfield

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1