HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

This seems like where it should go...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

This seems like where it should go... Empty
PostSubject: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:31 am

WARNING - Long bit of text coming up with me rambling a lot. shifty

So, call me crazy but I'm considering taking up professional wrestling training in the next few months or sometime early in the new year. Now there's two top wrestling schools relatively close to me, but there is a two hour minimum drive to either of them.

Of course, this is all a nonentity if I'm not in shape to compete or keep up. Most of you should know I've just had surgery because I bitch and complain about it all the time. So, I've had to interrupt the workout schedule I was already on to make way for recovery. I'm easing myself back to it though and managed to get through 15 minutes power walking on the treadmill today to get some confidence about exercise back. I was doing 30 minute runs with 15 minutes boxing and then weights and then 30 minutes yoga before the surgery but I feel like it'll be slow building to get back to that.

To be honest, I've always wanted to be a professional wrestler and I've been sitting here today asking myself why I couldn't do it right at this very moment. The main issues I came up with were my physical fitness (which is something I'm working on anyway), distance to the schools and my confidence (I suffer from pretty intense anxiety attacks from talking to checkout chicks in the shops, so going to a gym by myself with twenty people all throwing each other around isn't my idea of a fun time). But, then I sat down and thought to myself that I'm already working my physical fitness to the point that it should be at, I have my own car and will have a steady job to pay for fuel and lessons and fuck my confidence. If I don't try to do shit I want to do now then I'm never going to do it and I'll think that I'm a right tit a few years from now.

I mean, I have size on my side as far as pro wrestling goes, I'm 6'5 and pretty naturally broad in the shoulders, it's just a matter of working to get to the point where that size isn't wasted because it's being used by someone with the upper body strength of a malnourished chipmunk.

So, back to the wrestling schools, there are two relatively close to me. The one I'd really love to get into would be the Pro Wrestling Zero-One dojo they have here but that's in Adelaide and is much easier to enter with training already under your belt. So I'm left with the choice of training with the AWF and PWA once my goals are achieved in all the other aspects.

The AWF is run by TNT who is a bit of a world traveller and has been to Japan and Mexico both a ton of times as well as America, England and the rest of Europe. They're considered the top promotion in Australia and always bring in guys from America like Colt Cabana, Chris Masters, Al Snow, Tajiri, Steve Corino, Raven, Sonjay Dutt and a bunch of other guys. They also have a pretty intense training program that runs once a week for $400 broken up into segments that you have to master before you can start the next program. AWF has got links to Zero-One in Japan but that's the same for about every Australian promotion since Zero-One is the only promotion outside Australia who's taken an interest in us.

The PWA is run by Ryan and Madison Eagles who are both fairly well known on the indys in America. Ryan Eagles has spent time with CZW, ROH and Chikara and a bunch of other east coast promotions while Madison Eagles still actively works for SHIMMER. PWA has pretty close links to shows in America and Pro Wrestling Zero-One and also the NWA over here. Their training program is a lot more relaxed and is just like $10 a session and they run three sessions a week. I think in the PWA training they put everyone together and they just work with you on whatever it is you need, so it's a lot less focused.

Now, I shouldn't even be putting the cart before the horse and thinking about the schools, but hey, who wouldn't?

The point is that I have some sets of goals I need to achieve before I really consider this but I needed to lay it all out to decide whether it's something I'd like to try and looking back and reading it really is something I want to give a go but I have a long way to go before I even come close to going to these training centres.

So, yeah, I just wanted to write it all out and thought it might make for an interesting post for someone to read.

Oh! If anyone has had experience going through training please say so and give me a rough idea where I need to be physically, pleeeease? I have a very blurry idea of the sorts of things I need to be able to do to start with but I don't really have much to go on other than "YOU'RE GONNA PUKE THE FIRST TIME YOU TRY IT RAWRRRRRRR" shifty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 8:02 am

I like that you wanna achieve your goals. Good luck and awesome job if you make it! clap

I actually remember someone here called Riddick who was training in Canada and got the chance to met Edge through the company he was training with.
Back to top Go down
TJ Ω
#TeamRomie
TJ Ω

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 9:27 am

Mikey Poo wrote:
it's just a matter of working to get to the point where that size isn't wasted because it's being used by someone with the upper body strength of a malnourished chipmunk.
That's pretty much me in a nutshell. Funny

Wasn't Kylie training to be a wrestler at one point? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 9:38 am

Oh wow, good luck man Big Grin! It's always an inspiration to see people reach for dreams. Big Grin!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Talk to Caleb, isn't he wrestling for real in school
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Go for it Mike! Yeah, you'd be our second one. We had a member named Riddick here (he loved me even though he pretended not to, like Ian and Mink Mad as hell. That and we had a mini-feud at first before forming a stable in XWAP, look at that, rambling.)

Anyway, there isn't anything you can't do if you truly want it. WWE also has a great training facility apparently, so once you work your way up the ranks in whatever you want to start at, you can make it. Don't let yourself down with anything, just strive and accomplish. Good luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 pm

So a quick update for everyone. I'm down to 6.5 minutes to run 1km, that's after I've finished an hour long yoga and weight training session lifting 120 pounds on shoulders, legs and curls. I feel like I'll be at my target of running 1km in 4 minutes and lifting 160 pounds by the end of the year. Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm not trying to be a major douche sounding here Mike, but EWB would be the definitive place to ask this as a few members have done wrestling school and some of them are actually minor named stars even if nothing even major for the minor leagues.

I know Azazel had a thread about his workings with different promotions and player Uno/Dos, dunno if its still going, plus there are others who are doing stuff that could hopefully help you be more decisive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah, I've considered going to EWB for it, but I'd like to be a bit more fit before I go into actually asking guys like Azazel and stuff. To me that makes sense, it probably doesn't. But once I know I can get to the level I need to be at for me to be happy to try it I'll definitely be hitting up Azazel about training and stuff like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 7:08 am

Best of luck Mike! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This seems like where it should go...   This seems like where it should go... Empty

Back to top Go down

This seems like where it should go...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wrestle Fanatics :: The Squared Circle :: Pro Wrestling Universe + Wrestling Media-