HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship Empty
PostSubject: Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship   Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Russell Crowe cannot get Australian citizenship.

The New Zealand-born actor - who has been married to Aussie singer Danielle Spencer since 2003 - has lived most of his life in the country and has even appeared on an Australian postage stamp, but because he was mostly shooting movies elsewhere between 2000 and 2002 his application was rejected.

He said: ''They changed the law for New Zealanders.

''No matter how long you'd been in the country, if you weren't in Australia for the majority of 2000 to 2002 - when I was particularly busy filming overseas - you can't become a citizen.''

Russell has blasted the ruling as ''unreasonable'' and believes he has done enough to be granted Australian citizenship especially after once handing out '''how to vote' cards to help elect the prime minister''.

The Hollywood hunk added to Radio Times magazine: ''I've been voted one of Australia's 50 national treasures. I've even had my face on an Australian stamp, the only non-Australian to do so, apart from the queen, of course. It's so, so ... unreasonable.''

While he was born in neighbouring New Zealand, the star first moved to Australia in 1968 when he was just four years old and lent his voice to Aussie TV series 'Spyforce' a few years later.

He is said to identify himself as Australian and even co-owns Australian National Rugby League team the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Back to top Go down
Tim
Jobber
Tim

Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship   Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Considering that he was presumably under permanent resident status for a number of decades it's fairly odd that he isn't eligible for citizenship. Given the geography of two nations and their history and relations, it pretty ridiculous that it's harder for a New Zealander to become an Australian (or simply enjoy the social security benefits that an Aus citizen has) than for someone whose come from elsewhere.
Back to top Go down

Russell Crowe can't get Australian citizenship

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1