HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jolie has ovaries removed in cancer fear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Jolie has ovaries removed in cancer fear Empty
PostSubject: Jolie has ovaries removed in cancer fear   Jolie has ovaries removed in cancer fear EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 6:57 am

Angelina Jolie has undergone preventive surgery to have her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed, just two years after having a double mastectomy.

The actress, who lost her mother, grandmother and aunt to cancer, said she had the procedure last week after results from a blood test raised fears that she may be in the early stages of cancer.

Although later tests showed that was not the case, Jolie, writing in the New York Times, said she chose to go ahead with the surgery because of her family history.

She also carries a gene mutation that had given her a 50% risk of developing ovarian cancer, the same mutation that put her at 87% risk of developing breast cancer.

"I did not do this solely because I carry the BRCA1 gene mutation, and I want other women to hear this," Jolie wrote.

"A positive BRCA test does not mean a leap to surgery," she added.

"In my case, the Eastern and Western doctors I met agreed that surgery to remove my tubes and ovaries was the best option, because on top of the BRCA gene, three women in my family have died from cancer," she wrote.

Her doctors said that she should have the preventive surgery about a decade before the earliest onset of cancer in her female relatives.

"My mother's ovarian cancer was diagnosed when she was 49. I'm 39."

Jolie said that she had been preparing for the possibility of ovary removal ever since her double mastectomy.

But two weeks ago, she said, she got a call from a doctor who said her blood test results had "a number of inflammatory markers that are elevated, and taken together they could be a sign of early cancer."

She was told to see a surgeon immediately.

"I went through what I imagine thousands of other women have felt. I told myself to stay calm, to be strong, and that I had no reason to think I wouldn't live to see my children grow up and to meet my grandchildren," Jolie wrote.

"I called my husband in France, who was on a plane within hours. The beautiful thing about such moments in life is that there is so much clarity. You know what you live for and what matters. It is polarising, and it is peaceful".

She added: "I will look for natural ways to strengthen my immune system. I feel feminine, and grounded in the choices I am making for myself and my family.

"I know my children will never have to say 'Mom died of ovarian cancer'."

Jolie is married to actor Brad Pitt and the couple have six children.
Back to top Go down

Jolie has ovaries removed in cancer fear

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1