HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return Empty
PostSubject: Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return   Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Fernando Alonso has his sights firmly set on returning to Formula One in Malaysia later this month despite the shroud of uncertainty that continues to hover over the double world champion.

Alonso's crash into a wall at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya on the final day of the second pre-season test last month has sparked feverish speculation as to the exact cause, and to the ongoing condition of the Spaniard.

McLaren claimed a freak gust of wind forced Alonso off track, denying vehemently the incident was caused by either mechanical or electrical failure, yet there are those who have their doubts.

The 33-year-old went on to spend three nights in a local hospital on the back of conflicting stories as to whether he had suffered concussion.

After skipping the third and final test, doctors decided it would be in Alonso's best interests for him to also miss the first race of the season in Australia this weekend.

It was deemed necessary for Alonso to avoid 'second-impact syndrome', whereby brain damage or death could result from another incident at a time when he is continuing to recover from the first.

Again doubts have been expressed as to why Alonso would require three nights in hospital when he passed varying tests with flying colours.

The belief is Alonso will return for the next race in Malaysia from the 27th-29th.

Assessing his situation, Alonso said: "Of course, I'm very disappointed not to be joining Jenson (Button) in Melbourne in the McLaren-Honda garage.

"But I understand the recommendations of the doctors and I'm already back in training and preparing for my first race in the car.

"I would like to thank everybody for their kind wishes and support, and I'll be giving everything to be back in the cockpit for Malaysia."

With reserve driver Kevin Magnussen set to deputise in Melbourne, Alonso added: "I wish Kevin all the best for this weekend. I know the car is in his safe hands.

"Even though we faced a lot of challenges in the tests, I am very encouraged by the feeling I got from the car.

"I'm looking forward to going through all of the data from this weekend with the team to continue our push for development and improve our performance."

Team-mate Button has conceded it is "a real shame" Alonso is not fit enough to drive while hoping his team-mate makes "a speedy recovery".

As for Magnussen, promoted to second on his race debut in Australia a year ago before making way for Alonso at the end of the season, the young Dane has mixed emotions.

"I'm really pleased to be behind the wheel with McLaren-Honda at Melbourne again," said Magnussen.

"Of course, the reason I am here is an unusual one, but my job is to do the best job I can for the team while Fernando is out of the cockpit, and that's what I'll do.

"To be back in Melbourne is a fantastic feeling, especially as those memories of my podium here last year are incredibly special and something I'll never forget.

"Although I didn't expect to be sitting in the cockpit in Australia, I've spent the winter preparing as I would normally for a race season, so I feel fit and ready for the task ahead of me and to do the best I can for the team.

"It's a fantastic opportunity for me to get more mileage under my belt in the car, and this will in turn benefit the team over the coming months as I work with them back in Woking."
Back to top Go down
Tim
Jobber
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return   Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 7:00 pm

It's a shame that Alonso won't be racing in Melbourne this weekend, I was eager to see what he could do with the new McLaren setup. In my mind he is still the most skillful driver in the field considering how he kept his Ferrari competitive over the past couple of years when they were obviously lacking the pace of the Red Bull's and Mercedes'.

It's great to hear that he should be back for Malaysia though. When he woke up after the crash and thought it was 1995 there was some fear that he had suffered a serious brain injury and may never race again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return   Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 1:41 pm

I agree with you there. How did he drive that piece of shit for the last few years and get 6th in the drivers championship last year. Lets hope he can be competitive this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return   Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return Empty

Back to top Go down

Fernando Alonso targets Malaysia return

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1