HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do Anti-American gimmicks work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
MorphyVA
Motherfucking SETONIAN!
Motherfucking SETONIAN!
MorphyVA

Do Anti-American gimmicks work? Empty
PostSubject: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 5:19 am

Like Muhammad Hassan and Rusev I don\'t know
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 5:51 am

Yeah, it works, pity WWE has a shitty timing to choose when they should pop up.
Remember when Bret Hart was anti-America(n)? That worked.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 6:27 am

Yeah, they can work. Sometimes they can just get boring, though, because that's all they go on about. I think Rusev has turned out alright since he started his.
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity
Minkaro

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 6:36 am

They work, because Americans eat it up, being wildly over-patriotic. When I went to see TNA, Daivari cut a promo along the lines of "your Manchester City tried to pay Kaka millions of pounds to come here, and even that couldn't tempt him to this country," and we were like "ah, haha, he's playing a character, bless him."

Whereas American crowds are all "HE SAID WHAT? USA! USA! USA! HAND ME MY SHOTGUN. I DON'T CARE IF THERE'S A MEXICAN AND A JAPANESE GUY IN THE RING, I'M CHANTING USA."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/MinkaroXIV

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 7:01 am

^
Worse: Christopher Daniels vs AJ Styles, USA Chants. Or when Jim Duggan shows up at the Royal Rumble matches, against 10+ american wrestlers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 11:03 am

they do, but they usually have a short shelf life in more modern eras
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 am

Yeah, it's kind of hard to market an Anti-American gimmick while trying to appeal to a global market. Mink's examples are pretty telling, I think.

However, with American crowds, especially southern America, they seem to work really well. Jack Swagger's initial face turn received much bigger pops than I would have expected, and I suspect Rusev's heat is a pretty major contributing factor to that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 12:31 pm

Then they did nothing to go off Swagger's face turn
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy
Chilly

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Because Swagger sucks I aint bothered
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Anti-American gimmicks work?   Do Anti-American gimmicks work? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Anti-American gimmicks work?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1