HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MLB suspends Brewers' Braun for rest of '13

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

MLB suspends Brewers' Braun for rest of '13 Empty
PostSubject: MLB suspends Brewers' Braun for rest of '13   MLB suspends Brewers' Braun for rest of '13 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Major League Baseball has suspended Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun without pay for the remainder of the 2013 season.

Braun will not contest the suspension which was meted out for "violations of the Basic Agreement and its Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," according to a statement released by MLB.

SportsNation: Ryan Braun suspended
SportsNation The Milwaukee Brewers Ryan Braun was suspended by MLB for the remainder of the 2013 season. Was his punishment fair? Cast your votes »
"As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect," Braun said in the statement. "I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization.

"I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed -- all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love."

The suspension totals the final 65 games of the Brewers' season and any potential postseason games this year.

Braun, the 2011 MVP, was commended by MLB players association executive director Michael Weiner for accepting his punishment.

"I am deeply gratified to see Ryan taking this bold step," Weiner said in a statement. "It vindicates the rights of all players under the Joint Drug Program. It is good for the game that Ryan will return soon to continue his great work both on and off the field."

Last week, Weiner said that the MLBPA wouldn't fight for any players that might be suspended when faced with overwhelming evidence exists that they used performance-enhancing drugs.

Braun has been among the more than one dozen players under investigation for ties to Biogenesis, a closed anti-aging clinic in Florida linked with the distribution of performance-enhancing drugs. MLB officials have been interviewing players, who have been represented by the union and their own lawyers.

This is not the first time Braun has run afoul of the league's drug testing policy by testing positive for elevated testosterone levels in 2012. However, he successfully appealed his 50-game suspension and served no time.

Braun has hit .298 with nine home runs and 38 RBIs and has missed time due to an injured thumb and went on bereavement leave.
Back to top Go down

MLB suspends Brewers' Braun for rest of '13

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1