HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Usman
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Usman

Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape Empty
PostSubject: Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape   Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 7:11 pm

A top HBO executive has defended the often extreme scenes of sex, violence and rape in Game of Thrones, arguing that his job is not to police "how many breasts there are on a show".

The global hit show is known for airing graphic scenes for which has been criticised but Michael Lombardo, president of programming at HBO, said the writers have always toed the line of remaining authentic to the source books.

"I personally don't see myself as a libertine," said Lombardo, speaking at the Guardian Edinburgh International Television Festival. "I don't think [graphic scenes] have ever been without any purpose. Dan [Weiss] and Dave [Benioff] are two very sober, thoughtful men. They have books as a map. Which involve wars, violence, sex. We have certainly not given them an edict or a note that they need to tone down the sexual content in the show."

The level of violence and graphic scenes in the show has raised debate within the vast community of fans. A recently aired rape scene was widely discussed in the media, sparking a storm of criticism and debate about sexual violence.

The scene involved the character of Jaime Lannister raping his twin sister, Cersei, which critics said was a gratuitous departure from George RR Martin's books, where they have consensual sex.

"I appreciate there was some controversy and it generated a conversation about what consensual sex is and isn't,"Lombardo said. "People responsible for programming have two responsibilities. To be responsible, not to have sex and violence that's gratuitous. That is certainly not who we are. At the same time we don't want to be a censor that inhibits the authentic organic creative process by policing how many breasts should be on a show."

Lombardo pointed out that Martin was surprised by the "push back" in the media – critics included the New York Times and The Atlantic, which labelled it an appalling mistake – and said that the author did not believe the scene was taken out of context.

Lombardo said that HBO was a responsible broadcaster but added that as a pay-TV service it is an adult channel with more freedom than free-to-air broadcasters.

"It is an adult service," he said. "Our subscribers pay a fee for uncensored shows. My job is to be in business with responsible creative forces. And if I am doing that I trust their decisions about what is appropriate for the character or not. And I feel we made the right choice with Dan and Dave and they continue to try to be responsible.

"As long as I feel that [violence] isn't the reason [people] are watching the show, that it isn't a show trying to attract viewers with sex and violence, I am not going to play police."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape   Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 8:35 pm

I dont even watch HBO so i give no fucks about this show
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape   Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 8:41 pm

I dont see the big deal. I realize some of these can be triggers, but really anything can be.
Back to top Go down
Usman
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
Usman

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape   Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 pm

For anyone who has seen even the first episode of this show, know how much nudity/violence is depicted on GoT, and I know they'll always be criticized for showing that stuff.
Back to top Go down
StraightEdge Rurouni
WTF Its StraightEdge
StraightEdge Rurouni

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape   Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 9:56 am

Anyone who has read the books knows that it involves more than a bit of sex and violence, even a cliff notes reading can show that much. Whenever something grows in popularity, as do the number of people who can be offended.
Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones broadcaster HBO defends scenes of sex, violence and rape

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1