HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Michael Elgin posts on Facebook about the importance of BITW to him

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose
MooseNugget

Michael Elgin posts on Facebook about the importance of BITW to him Empty
PostSubject: Michael Elgin posts on Facebook about the importance of BITW to him   Michael Elgin posts on Facebook about the importance of BITW to him EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 am

This Sunday is more important than you will ever understand.

Michael Elgin wrote:
What I'm about to write is a story you may of heard before. It may be something that you have lived before, or similar to someone else's story. But these are the reasons why I feel the need to express this, I want everyone to know why I am the way I am and the reason why this sunday is so important to me.
I want to start this off with a statemeent that was made to me by my cousin a few year ago. "I admire you becuase since you were a kid you told all of us you were going to be a wreslter, and now you are. There are so many people including myself that never followed through on their dreams and live miserably due to that."
Throughtout this blog, plug, write up whatever you want to call it you will see why this statement is so profound.

I have to admit i was blessed growing up, I didnt know my father but I was brought up by My mother, Aunt and Grandma in the same househould and they spoiled me. Also being the youngest in the entire family had its perks as well, as fortunate as I was this was also a big detrement. See usually when a kid ask's for something its a clear cut answer yes or no, well I knew someone was always going to say yes. Growing up I had 2 loves Wrestling and Food, I can say I never had a lack of either. For example a typical weekend for me growing up was Fri night Pizza and junk food with my aunt, Sat was the mall for wrestling toys, more junk food and a movie where I went for more junk food! Then sunday was my mom's day off so we went to the fleamarket for yep you guessed it more junk food, but i remember like it was yesterday 3 for 25 wrestling VHS tapes. My entire week was spent watching the tapes and eating of course until the same routine begin Fri evening.
Now School starts, and I was the Fat kid which made me an easy target. I also only talked about wrestling, which even then was still a reason to make fun of a kid. I recall the first day when teachers would ask what do you want to be when you grow up. The girls would answer Princess, and most other kids would say Hockey player (growing up in canada will do that) but from that day my answer was a Pro Wrestler. This started a very routine reply i would receive throughout my life "what do you really want to do, you'll never be a pro wrestler" I could go on and on about every year of school but it would be much of the same story over and over, so here are some main points that will help clarify what made me the person I am today. I was kind of a loner and the kid that everyone picked on for being fat, but my saving grace was a kid down the street from me his name was Jeremy and our bond begin through Pro Wrestling. For many years he was 1 of the few if not the only real friend I had. About midway through school I realized that me being fat might get me made fun of, but I was bigger than everyone and soon learned also stronger than everyone. I soon wasn't just the fat kid, but the kid who got into many fights (mostly defending wrestling or my weight). This reperesented most of my life until grade 10, I was now leaving grade 9 without ever having a GF, being kind of a loner as well as being the fat kid who wanted to be a pro Wrestler. That summer my cousin asked me to go to the gym with him, that day changed my life forever. I'll never forget walking into the gym and seeing a guy named Fadel, he was a monster and i was mesmerized I wanted to be like him. That was the first week of summer, and over the summer I want from 315lbs to 240lbs. I woke up every morning and did cardio, and would return in the afternoon to lift weights. I continued this every day following even into the school year. I would wake up at 4 am walk to the gym train go to school and head back right after school. Also this summer was the summer I found out about a wrestling camp for kids from the age of 14 and up. I was 14 and begged my mom to let me go, this is when the journy started.
I was begining to be get into shape, and I can't lie I had a chip on my shoulder as well as a poor attietude towards people who doubted me my whole life. Going into grade 10 I was now getting into shape, and had started wrestling training. I would tell everyone who listened that I was training, and no matter what I had done to my body all summer the reply was still you're never going to make it. The school I first started at was a very Sub Par Training facilty but I was young and just wanted to wrestle. Throughout that year many other students had left to join Squared Circle in Toronto which was much closer to my home. I would join SC in the summer of 2002, and quickly had my first match in Nov of 2002. I had just begin to make friends and being to date now that I had changed my physique and had more confidence, but that would qickly all be put aside. Now that I was wrestling I would either have shows or ride with guys to shows in hopes of getting on and getting better, this made weekend get togethers non existint and ensure even more that I was still kind of a loner at school. I was fine with being a loner and still a target to be ridiculed becuase my friends were the ones I spent hours with in cars for little to no money every weekend.
I guess Squared Circle would be the next real chapter in this story, but it's a little different than you think. I was not the Head trainers favorite and he didn't spend much time on me like he did so many others. Some might find this to be a negative, but Tyson Dux and Ashley Sixx took a liking to me and spent alot of time helping me in training, as well as on the road. ( see the occuring theme here, noone beleived in me). I am thankful for these 2, and so many others for letting me hop in the car with them and pick their brains. Without guys like Tyson Dux and Ashley Sixx I truly wouldn't be where I am. Lets talk brefily about my career leading up until this sunday then I can get to the real point of this. When I started in Ontario I was reffered to Fat Hardy, having long hair and being still a little chubby I guess it was fitting. I was also given a hard time on how I wrestled as well as where I wrestled, but I was trying to get somewhere, I was trying to turn heads and wrestle everywhere I could. I said I had my first match in 2002, which was the same year ROH began I can say wholeheartidly and truthfully that was my goal. I wanted to wrestle for ROH and I wanted to be ROH World Champion. I first tried out for ROH in 2007, I remember cancelling shows and driving to Boston by myself. I dind't have a match that night, but wrestled on the preshow the following night in New Jersey. This was the first of many preshow appearence's as well as a few main show but wasn't enough to get me on the roster. I was told, get in better shape and get better gear. I was plagued with knee issues so it was sometimes difficult to keep trim while gaining mass, but the booker was right and I knew I had to change. In 2009 I was fully healed and ready to take training to another level, i lost alot of body fat that year, but knew i had to be a little bigger, So in feb 2010 I quit my job and started to lift for size. I made a decent living but it allowed myself to get in the shape I needed to be in, that fall I went to a ROH Tryout and then most wrestling fans can see what I have done since then. Something after overlooking I feel I need to add, as it demenstrates my mindset and how I look at things. I was on a roadtrip with Ashley Sixx and said that if I wrestle Davey Richards in ROH it would be a match noone would ever forget. This isn't a bragging right, its to instill that when I have made up my mind I will go to no end to get the result I want
I shortened up alot of what I could of said, but I wanted to keep your attention I wanted you to understande some things. 1 thing I want you to understand I also want to apologize for. I am very driven as well as determined to prove every doubter I have ever had wrong. I have to take things personal, becuase when I do it helps me better myself. So for anyone I have offended or upset in the process of acting like that I am truly sorry. Whether you enjoy my matches, or you think I am useless you are important to my career, and to wrestling as a whole. Thank you for being passionate enough to say anything at all whether it be positive or negative.
I have so many people I'd love to thank but I think thanking Fans worldwide and Wrestling will help cover a laundry list of thank you's. Thank you to the fans who buy dvd's attend live events and buy merchandise, becuase of you i get to live a dream I have had since I was 4 years old. Thank you wrestling for giving me an escape as a kid, and helping me find meaning to my life. Thank you wrestling for leading me to the love of my life and being happily married to her.
If you are a friend or someone who meant me growing up I encourage you to Order ROH Best in the World this sunday on PPV, I have the chance that very few will ever have to Main Event a company's first live PPV. Family I appreacite the support you have given me my entire life, and becuse of you I have the chance to fulfill a dream noone thought was realistic. To collegues, as well as upcoming wrestlers never let anyone tell you you can't do something, Im living proof that if you are detirmined, If you want something noone can tell you no, you just have do the work to prove them wrong.
I'm not the best with grammer, so this is probably all over and has some poor punctuation. But truthfully my first love was pro wrestling it has eclipsed my life, I didn't even have a honeymoon becuase i couldn't take a weekend off. All I ask is that you support ROH this weekend by ordering Best in the World, becuase wrestling fan or not this is an event that can't be missed!

Michael Elgin posts on Facebook about the importance of BITW to him

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1